Author Topic: Harvey victim funds may be delayed without debt limit increase: Mnuchin  (Read 601 times)

Offline RoosGirl

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Sunday that relief funding for hurricane-ravaged areas of Texas might be delayed if the U.S. Congress does not quickly increase the government’s debt limit.

“Without raising the debt limit, I am not comfortable that we will get money to Texas this month to rebuild,” Mnuchin said on Fox News Sunday. U.S. President Donald Trump has requested nearly $8 billion for relief for areas hit by Hurricane Harvey.

The United States is on track to hit its mandated debt limit by the end of the month unless Congress moves to increase it.

Senator Roy Blunt, a junior member of the Senate’s Republican leadership, said it was possible lawmakers could tie legislation raising the U.S. debt ceiling - an unpopular step among some Republican conservatives - to measures providing financial aid for recovery from Harvey.

“That’s one way to do it,” Blunt said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” Congressional leaders would have to look at whether the votes are there, he said.

Continued - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-mnuchin/harvey-victim-funds-may-be-delayed-without-debt-limit-increase-mnuchin-idUSKCN1BE0TP

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Harvey victim funds may be delayed without debt limit increase: Mnuchin
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 05:56:43 pm »
Yeah, we get it, both the Democrats and the Republicans want to screw us some more. Raise that debt limits fellas!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:18:06 pm »
Yeah, we get it, both the Democrats and the Republicans want to screw us some more. Raise that debt limits fellas!

Ya gotta have a scuba outfit to swim through their crap these days.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 09:58:16 pm »
Isn't it cute how they make it sound like they're at odds with each other about raising the debt limit?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 12:57:08 am »
So the guy is willing to blackmail others?  What a POS.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 01:59:35 am »
So the guy is willing to blackmail others?  What a POS.
I think the short list is the people who are NOT willing to use Harvey Aid for leverage to fund other stuff.

NOT ONE OF THEM HAS SUGGESTED TAKING THE MONEY FROM ANYTHING ELSE--EXCEPT THE WALL.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 02:02:29 am »
I think the short list is the people who are NOT willing to use Harvey Aid for leverage to fund other stuff.

NOT ONE OF THEM HAS SUGGESTED TAKING THE MONEY FROM ANYTHING ELSE--EXCEPT THE WALL.

And how can they justify taking money away from funding the wall, funding a HUGE Harvey payout *and* raising the debt limit?

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 02:04:08 am »
And how can they justify taking money away from funding the wall, funding a HUGE Harvey payout *and* raising the debt limit?

How can they justify most of what they do? :shrug:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 02:09:04 am »
How can they justify most of what they do? :shrug:

True, but, funding a wall is another opportunity to blackmail a vote for more pork for their state.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 02:55:30 am »
This is why a debt limit will never control spending.

There will always be another 'crisis'

What gets my blood boiling is they assume every other wacky thing that money is spent on is already committed and cannot be cut.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington