Author Topic: Trump can dodge federal crimes with pardons — but not state law  (Read 606 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump can dodge federal crimes with pardons — but not state law
« on: September 03, 2017, 01:47:23 pm »
Trump can dodge federal crimes with pardons — but not state law
By Asha Rangappa, opinion contributor - 09/03/17 09:40 AM EDT

Once again, President Trump seeks to be hoisted on his own petard. His reaction since Charlottesville has placed him firmly on the side of those who are trying to preserve the confederate monuments and flags rapidly being brought down across the country. In doing so, Trump is supporting "states’ rights,” the euphemistic characterization that glosses over the history of slavery these symbols represent.

But states’ rights take on a different meaning in the realm of criminal law. News that special counsel Robert Mueller has paired up with New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman suggests that he might be taking advantage of the special relationship states have with the federal government in the realm of criminal prosecution to end run the president’s pardon power — if he is, then “states’ rights” might just become Trump’s Achilles heel.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/348989-trump-may-dodge-federal-crimes-with-pardons-but-he-cant
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Trump can dodge federal crimes with pardons — but not state law
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 01:49:48 pm »
A historic abuse of power by Mueller and the State of New York.

But I'm sure they'll investigate Hillary next.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 12:46:06 am »
Title is misleading.

Title says Trump is dodging federal crimes. When you read the article, it clearly conveys that others potentially pardoned by Trump are the ones dodging federal crimes, not Trump.

I really hate seeing an agenda being thrown out there that is very misleading on whatever is factual.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 12:50:00 am »
Title is misleading.

Title says Trump is dodging federal crimes. When you read the article, it clearly conveys that others potentially pardoned by Trump are the ones dodging federal crimes, not Trump.

I really hate seeing an agenda being thrown out there that is very misleading on whatever is factual.

It's from  "The Hill"  Sketchy reporting.  If you can call it reporting.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 02:41:14 am »

The Hill isn't the only one.  Amazing what passes as journalism these days. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:41:42 am by Applewood »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 03:09:57 am »

And it seems "The Hill" is a highly respected source around here.      *****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald