Author Topic: How do Whole Foods' new prices compare to Wal-Mart, Publix and Aldi?  (Read 839 times)

Wingnut

Bezos sucks when it comes to lowering food prices! It's one thing to drop ridiculously inflated prices to attract new customers, but it's another if those lower prices aren't anywhere near the best in town.  LMAO!

-----

When Amazon slashed prices at Whole Foods Market on Monday after completing a speedy $13.7 billion acquisition, analysts hastily began making burial arrangements for the grocery industry.

Amazon, that pesky Internet company whose goal is to buy, kill, own and sell everything on the planet, made a bold first move by cutting prices on some organic staples, such as apples, eggs, salmon, tilapia, beef, chicken, baby kale (of course!) and almond butter.

It also is offering Whole Foods’ 365 Everyday store brands for delivery, set up lockers in some stores for pickups and returns of Amazon goods, and vowed to keep lowering prices as the two companies integrate. Special in-store perks for Amazon Prime members are coming soon, too.

Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos is wasting no time on his new pet project: Disrupting the $600 billion grocery industry.

Grocers are terrified, bracing for blistering competition and complete industry upheaval, one analyst told the Washington Post, which Bezos also owns.

Whole Foods’ ambitious mission is to bring affordable, organic food to the masses while shedding its unflattering “Whole Paycheck” nickname.

For the moment, I’ll call it “85 Percent Paycheck.” New prices average about 15 percent less, according a New York Times story that compared receipts on identical items before and after the takeover.

That inspired me to go on a Doreen’s Deals shopping mission to conduct my own price comparisons to see how the new Whole Foods stacks up to other grocery stores.

I visited Wal-Mart, which is Amazon’s only true competitor, Trader Joe's, Publix, Aldi and The Fresh Market. On my list: Store brand organic bananas, apples, eggs, butter, milk, chicken and salmon. I added wine as a bonus, because, well, you know how I love a good, cheap bottle.

-----

Cutting to the chase if you don't wish to read on.... Whole Foods finished 4th out of 5!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/deals-shopping/fl-bz-doreen-christensen-whole-foods-price-comparison-walmart-20170901-story.html

Offline RoosGirl

Re: How do Whole Foods' new prices compare to Wal-Mart, Publix and Aldi?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 06:03:28 pm »
I notice that "famous" Publix customer service has been edging towards the "infamous" region.  Especially with bagging.

And, it's not infrequently that I find packaged meat, mostly bacon because that's about the only packaged meat I buy, past its sell by date.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:04:51 pm by RoosGirl »