Author Topic: Michael Dell donates $36M for Harvey. 'I used to ride my bike there,' says Houston native  (Read 1024 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Michael Dell donates $36M for Harvey. 'I used to ride my bike there,' says Houston native
Jon Swartz, USA TODAY Published 1:19 p.m. ET Sept. 1, 2017 | Updated 3:15 p.m. ET Sept. 1, 2017

SAN FRANCISCO — Tech billionaire Michael Dell, who grew up in Houston before founding Dell Technologies, has pledged $36 million — the largest donation so far — to assist Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.

"The scale of human tragedy is unprecedented," Dell, who spent the first 14 years of his life in Houston, told USA TODAY in a phone interview Thursday, a day before the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation announced its gift.

"I turned on the TV (last week) and saw a neighborhood called Meyerland, where I grew up, flooded," Dell said. "I know those streets extremely well. I used to ride my bike there every day."

Continued: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2017/09/01/michael-dell-pledges-36-m-harvey-relief/625508001/

Offline Applewood

Go Dell!

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Oceander

Very nice. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Kinda puts the one million Trump kicked in in the shade don't it!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

Dell is worth some $20 billion. The $36 million is from his foundation:

In 1999, Michael and Susan Dell established the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation, which focuses on, among other causes, grants, urban education, childhood health and family economic stability. In 2006, the foundation provided $50 million in grants to three health-related organizations associated with the University of Texas: the Michael & Susan Dell Center for Advancement of Healthy Living, the Dell Pediatric Research Institute to compliment the Dell Children's Medical Center, as well as funding for a new computer science building at the University of Texas at Austin campus.[37] In 2013, the foundation provided an additional $50 million commitment to establish the Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin. [38] Since 1999, the MSDF has committed $1.23 billion to non-profits and social enterprises in the United States, India and South Africa. [39]

By 2010, the foundation had committed more than $650 million to children's issues and community initiatives in the United States, India and South Africa[40] Today the foundation has over $466 million assets under management.[41]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Dell

Online mountaineer

Without knowing each man's level of wealth, I couldn't say. Widow's mite, and all that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
The whiners bitch that Sandra Bullock only donate a million, and bitch that Trump only donated a million, etc.

Good God people, remove head from ass.  Every dollar helps no matter where or whom it comes from.