Author Topic: Trump proclaims Sunday 'Day of Prayer' for Harvey victims  (Read 636 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump proclaims Sunday 'Day of Prayer' for Harvey victims
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:26:01 pm »
Trump proclaims Sunday 'Day of Prayer' for Harvey victims
By Max Greenwood - 09/01/17 02:33 PM EDT

President Trump has declared Sunday a "Day of Prayer" for those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

Surrounded by leaders from the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army and Southern Baptist Disaster Relief, Trump signed a proclamation from the Oval Office on Friday inviting "all Americans to join us as we continue to pray for those who have lost family members or friends, and for those who are suffering in this time of crisis."

"I don't know when this was done last, but it's been a long time ago," Trump told reporters. "Is that a correct statement? It's been a long time ago."

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/348895-trump-proclaims-sunday-national-day-of-prayer-for-harvey-victims
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Trump proclaims Sunday 'Day of Prayer' for Harvey victims
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 07:39:48 pm »
So did Governor Abbot in Texas, nice to see Christ-centered individuals leading the country.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 08:25:50 pm »
Good on them, but personally, I don't need a day of prayer.  I can do that on my own. 

And while prayer is good, action would be better.  Get that relief money to the people who need it, guys. 

Waiting for the freedom from religion crowd to start howling. 

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:04:06 pm »
Good on them, but personally, I don't need a day of prayer.  I can do that on my own. 

And while prayer is good, action would be better.  Get that relief money to the people who need it, guys. 

Waiting for the freedom from religion crowd to start howling. 

What an uninformed comment. Prayer is part and parcel of the package that comes from people who ACTUALLY ACT.

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/Religious-Americans-Give-More/153973

So, if people are praying, they are more likely to be giving. You really don't separate one from the other.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:30:28 pm »
What an uninformed comment. Prayer is part and parcel of the package that comes from people who ACTUALLY ACT.

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/Religious-Americans-Give-More/153973

So, if people are praying, they are more likely to be giving. You really don't separate one from the other.

This briefer has done both
God is still in control

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 11:24:58 am »
Here's an interesting post from Sept. 10 by Wayne Watson, Christian recording artist who lives in Houston:
Wayne Watson
13 hrs ·

I haven't done an update in a while. Here's what's happening around us.

Our power was restored on Friday, Sept. 1 and stayed on for two days. We went to half power after that and, honestly, I didn't realize they could do that! Still, it was nothing more than simply uncomfortable.

Power came back fully this past Wednesday and we've been fine.

I can't say the same for the homes just a few hundred yards from us.

The video will show you just a small section of this neighborhood. These families were asleep in their homes, some with electricity still powering their AC, their computers and all the little things we hold as valuable.

For some reason, the decision makers (and I'm not up on it enough to know who they are or what agency they represent) decided to purge one of our major reservoirs by doing a "controlled release" to keep the levee walls from failing. And they decided to do it in the middle of the night.

Imagine going to bed, rain pounding without a break for hours and hours, but still you're dry and safe. The power goes off with a thud and all goes black. Within an hour or so, you have 4 to 5 feet of water in your house.

And this is not crystal clear water from an overflowing spring or creek. Who knows what's in this water? At one point, we had neighborhood residents taking turns watching the entrance, then Houston Police officers, then, one day there were FBI and EPA agents checking my driver's license to see if I belonged on this street!

Now that another disaster is, at this moment, having its way with the state of Florida, all eyes are on Irma. And those folks will need the help we've witnessed here in Houston.

But the thousands of families in this community don't have time to watch another hurricane. They are wearing masks in an effort to protect themselves from the toxins in the air and the overwhelming smell.

Thank you for your prayers. If you want to make a contribution to a charity that will put all the funds into the Houston community without administration fees, here is a good lead.

www.chapelwood.org/harvey

Blessings

Wayne
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 02:09:09 pm »
@mountaineer

Thank you for the updated post.  Actually, I've been thinking that with all the focus on Irma, the victims of Harvey might be forgotten. 

Prayers for everyone affected now and who will no doubt be affected by succeeding hurricanes.  I fear this won't be one of those quiet hurricane seasons and that there are more bad ones to come.