Author Topic: Trump to cut pay raises for government workers  (Read 791 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump to cut pay raises for government workers
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:28:07 pm »
Trump to cut pay raises for government workers
By Jonathan Easley - 08/31/17 06:31 PM EDT

President Trump sent a letter to Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) on Thursday announcing his intention to cut pay raises for civilian government workers.

In the letter, Trump cited his authority in times of “national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare” to make adjustments to the 2018 pay schedule for federal employees.

Under the previous plan, workers were scheduled for a 1.9 percent bump. Trump will use his authority to lower that to 1.4 percent.

“We must maintain efforts to put our Nation on a sustainable fiscal course,” Trump wrote.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/348789-trump-to-cut-pay-raises-for-government-workers
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Concerned

Re: Trump to cut pay raises for government workers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:50:06 pm »
I applaud the creativity here, but if the Trump Administration truly views our fiscal situation as a “national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare”, I think it's time to tackle the debt and the deficit.   The first step IMO is stomping out deficit spending and starting to reduce the debt.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 12:06:44 am »
An awful lot of other people don't get annual pay raises, which amounts to a cut, with even tiny inflation.
Government workers seem to be insulated from that and many other realities most Americans face.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 12:13:56 am »
Oh, hell yes !!!!

Now if we can only get rid of baseline budgeting.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 12:22:20 am »
I dont remember any and I mean any new administration state that government employees are not paid enough or that more need to be hired.Seems the opposite is always the case. But just words. My dad and brother both government workers have never been laid off no matter how much the news from Washington said the president was going to shrink the government workforce. Well thats not exactly true. My dad was laid off for 1 day, along with many of his fellow shipyard workers.....for 1 day, the last day of the fiscal year. Then brought back the  next day.     All a game with numbers.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 12:47:35 am »
An awful lot of other people don't get annual pay raises, which amounts to a cut, with even tiny inflation.
Government workers seem to be insulated from that and many other realities most Americans face.

FEDERAL workers.

State and local have been taking the hit for a decade, even seeing decreases.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 12:53:18 am »
In the engineering field at least, in the early 90's there was a lot of talk about how engineers going into gov't jobs were paid well under engineers in the private field.  And they were, except that all the extra benefits they got  just about evened things out.  Then, in Florida I don't know about the rest of the country, a few years later the gov't engineers were making the same take home salary, but still had all the extra benefits that most in the private sector did not have.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 01:01:54 am »
FEDERAL workers.

State and local have been taking the hit for a decade, even seeing decreases.
Sorry, that is true of State and local workers.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 01:52:38 am »
I along with all other SS recipients got a whopping 0.3% increase because they said no inflation, why should these people get more than that? Too often government employees are rewarded for doing nothing more than showing up for work and sometimes even when they don't do that. I do not have the same opinion about rewarding our military, they deserve to be well taken care of!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:53:01 am by GtHawk »