Author Topic: Joel Osteen shuts megachurch amid flooding crisis  (Read 3446 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Joel Osteen shuts megachurch amid flooding crisis
« on: August 29, 2017, 12:55:51 pm »
Televangelist Joel Osteen canceled services at his Houston megachurch Sunday and has yet to reopen its doors — despite the fact that thousands of flooded-out residents are desperately seeking shelter.

The perpetually smiling pastor told followers on Twitter on Monday to lean on their faith.

“Jesus promises us peace that passes understanding,” he wrote. “That’s peace when it doesn’t make sense.”

But Osteen’s comforting words didn’t sit well with critics, who want to know why the doors to his 16,800-seat arena at his Lakewood Church near downtown Houston are closed.

“You have taken so much money away from your people to live like a king,” entertainment publicist Danny Deraney blasted. “It’s the least you could do.”

Washington, DC-based writer Charles Clymer tweeted pictures of Lakewood Church, which did not appear to be damaged by floods.

“It doesn’t make sense why you’re not opening up your mega church to house Houston citizens, help me understand that. Jesus,” according to Florida-based writer Emily Timbol.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/pastor-osteen-shuts-church-amid-flooding-crisis/

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online mountaineer

Re: Joel Osteen shuts megachurch amid flooding crisis
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 12:59:08 pm »
He is opening up the church.
Joel Osteen church denies reports it closed its doors to flood victims
By Euan McKirdy, CNN
Updated 8:44 AM ET, Tue August 29, 2017

(CNN)Pastor Joel Osteen's Houston megachurch says it's opening its doors Tuesday to residents displaced by flooding.
Lakewood Church, which was founded by Osteen's father in the 1950s, posted on social media Monday that the venue was "inaccessible due to severe flooding" following Hurricane Harvey, which has been downgraded to a tropical storm.
The message included the National Guard rescue hotline, along with a list of shelters that displaced Texans could go to.

Many on social media criticized the church for not taking people in, but the church disputed the backlash. "We have never closed our doors. We will continue to be a distribution center for those in need," church spokesman and Osteen's father-in-law Donald Iloff said.

"We are prepared to shelter people once the cities and county shelters reach capacity. Lakewood will be a value to the community in the aftermath of this storm in helping our fellow citizens rebuild their lives."

Photos provided by the church showed standing water in hallways and the parking lot. The church already had a flood wall in place following a previous storm.  ...
CNN
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 01:06:59 pm »
I've seen conflicting reports on this.  Saw video this morning that showed water in the parking lot but none reaching the church building itself.

This is the old Houston Summit/Compaq Arena where the Rockets played until 2003.

Regardless it's not a good look for Osteen.  He needs to get out in front of this.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

debrawiest

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 01:10:37 pm »
Osteen is a fraud and a phony. I'd expect nothing less than him wanting to protect his business.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 01:22:12 pm »
Are other churches open?  Is this an attempt to pile on Osteen?  I don't know and don't like the man, but need more information.

Offline verga

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 01:26:53 pm »
I've seen conflicting reports on this.  Saw video this morning that showed water in the parking lot but none reaching the church building itself.

This is the old Houston Summit/Compaq Arena where the Rockets played until 2003.

Regardless it's not a good look for Osteen.  He needs to get out in front of this.
@txradioguy  have seen the same thing. Someone from his Church showed pictures of flooding inside the building, but others showed the water only in the parking lot. Not a fan of the guy, but I want to know the truth before I pillory him.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 01:29:26 pm »
My pastor would have already had our church open. It's embarrassing that it took social media pressure to get him to act.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »
@txradioguy  have seen the same thing. Someone from his Church showed pictures of flooding inside the building, but others showed the water only in the parking lot. Not a fan of the guy, but I want to know the truth before I pillory him.

Agreed.

What makes me suspicious of the claims of flooding in the building is the fact that he's now saying they will use the church as a collection center for supplies for the flood victims.

If it's safe enough to use as a collection point...why isn't it safe enough to use it as a shelter?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:33:55 pm by txradioguy »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 01:44:25 pm »
It's probably a liability issue with the insurance company. It's really lame to blame someone for not doing something that you want them to do, when you wanted them to do it. This especially true when you had plenty of time to leave town but decided to ride it out.
Countdown to Resignation

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 01:51:59 pm »
Agreed.

What makes me suspicious of the claims of flooding in the building is the fact that he's now saying they will use the church as a collection center for supplies for the flood victims.

If it's safe enough to use as a collection point...why isn't it safe enough to use it as a shelter?

I chuckled a little when I heard that. "I don't want victims in my Church. But, bring me all your stuff. Bring it all here and I will take good care of it." I want my Church to be a 'collections center'. LOL.

I don't know the guy, or the Church he operates. But just the optics of that is pretty bad.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 02:08:08 pm »
Osteen is a fraud and a phony. I'd expect nothing less than him wanting to protect his business.

Completely. Whether this complaint against him is legit or not, Osteen is one of the biggest scam artists out there.

And if I were a betting man I'd wager he's a closet gay too. There is something not right about him.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:42:11 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 03:39:22 pm »
If one can believe CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/29/us/joel-osteen-houston-megachurch-criticism/index.html

The scamwow Preacher's church had a little water in the basement but nothing serious enough.

He had this to say"

"We are prepared to shelter people once the cities and county shelters reach capacity. Lakewood will be a value to the community in the aftermath of this storm in helping our fellow citizens rebuild their lives."
Photos provided by the church showed standing water in hallways and the parking lot. The church already had a flood wall in place following a previous storm.

How white of him.

Boy I sure hope he doesn't give a bad name to the other mega-church pastors who are also using religion to make money.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:39:38 pm by Wingnut »

Silver Pines

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 03:44:09 pm »
According to Steve Deace's Twitter, an Osteen spokesman said they hadn't opened the church because "no one asked them to."

Here in my area, Thomas Road Baptist Church, which is run by Jonathan Falwell, is quick to open its doors in time of need.  A few years ago, we had a "derecho" (straight line wind) come through, and thousands were left without power for over a week during a bad heat wave.  TR let people come for as long as they wanted, and the university next door (Liberty) opened its dorms to house them.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 03:52:25 pm »
I find this whole story sort of wrong.  I know people are angry, scared, concerned, sad, etc., and looking for someone/something to turn all of that emotion on, but I think that's wrong and misguided.  Let God and his congregation take care of Osteen.  We've got better things to do.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 04:22:41 pm »
I find this whole story sort of wrong.  I know people are angry, scared, concerned, sad, etc., and looking for someone/something to turn all of that emotion on, but I think that's wrong and misguided.  Let God and his congregation take care of Osteen.  We've got better things to do.
I agree.  Looks to me like the snooze media trying to find something to criticize.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 04:35:33 pm »
https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/902331820745924610/photo/1
From that, it appears he will be opening to some, anyway (twitter shaming?).
I read the sidebar info on the twitter page, too (as anyone checking that out should). It could be a socially motivated attack, but the optics are not good for Osteen.
Whatever. I don't send him any money, anyway.
I am just reminded that a pastor up this way risked being arrested for running a shelter in violation of some city ordinance to take in people who had come seeking work and couldn't find/afford a place to stay (in winter). That little church practiced what it preached, in spite of everything.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 04:48:24 pm »
It's hard for me to have positive thoughts about any Man of God, or woman, that uses so much of a congregations tithings to live like a freaking King! Ever see pics of the Osteen compound? I felt the same about Schuller and all the crap weasels like them. But don't get me started I might get a little judgemental. :shrug:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 04:53:39 pm »
From that, it appears he will be opening to some, anyway (twitter shaming?).
I read the sidebar info on the twitter page, too (as anyone checking that out should). It could be a socially motivated attack, but the optics are not good for Osteen.
Whatever. I don't send him any money, anyway.
I am just reminded that a pastor up this way risked being arrested for running a shelter in violation of some city ordinance to take in people who had come seeking work and couldn't find/afford a place to stay (in winter). That little church practiced what it preached, in spite of everything.

I've also seen where it was said that these preparations were already made, but that the parking levels were flooded so they hadn't broken out the supplies yet because congregants couldn't effectively set up there.  (and I think there might be truth to that -- how else do you have bulk air mattresses if this wasn't preplaced supplies).

Still doesn't mean I like Osteen's approach.

(As for the sidebar, that's the same account that posted the video showing the church not being flooded on the main level...so I have to give him credit for the follow-up showing the air mattresses.)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:54:55 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Millee

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 05:16:34 pm »
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:17:01 pm by Millee »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 05:24:39 pm »
Another preacher who always does the right thing... but only after trying everything else.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 06:53:33 pm »
I don't know anything about the geography or topography of the Houston area, but...even though the church isn't flooded now, it's still raining.  It may he that this church might not be in the best location to shelter from a flood like this. 

No, I'm not a fan of Osteen.  I used to watch his program once in a while, but that constant smile got to me.  It's been my experience that people who are always smiling 24/7 have something evil up their sleeves.  The guy has made a great deal of money off that perpetual smile.  I would like to see him and the other televangelists use their good fortune to provide help to the victims of this tragedy.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 06:55:54 pm »
Just heard from a co-worker just east of Houston.  Being mandatorily evacuated now.  Raining harder than ever.

debrawiest

Online mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 12:26:01 am »
I'm no fan of Joel Osteen. Some might call him a false teacher. But there's more to the story than what was spread on social media. We should be better than those take a rumor and start spreading it around as fact just because we don't like the target. We're not CNN or Slate, after all.
Here is the Complete Story Behind the Attacks on Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church

By Billy Hallowell
12 hours ago

As Pastor Joel Osteen and his church face mounting criticism for not immediately hosting Houstonians fleeing their homes in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, representatives are speaking out to provide additional background and context.

Don Iloff, a spokesperson for Lakewood Church, told Faithwire late on Monday night that the house of worship has been in touch with city and county officials in recent days and has been planning outreach efforts.  ...

Iloff also noted that, while Lakewood was more than willing to make-do and house people, unlike the convention center, Lakewood has “no showers” and no kitchen, making the church more of an emergency shelter than anything else. Initially, the church waited to hear from city officials and planned to respond if needed.  ...

With more rain slated to come down in Houston over this past weekend, Iloff said Lakewood didn’t want to endanger people, especially if there was enough room in the shelter system.

But he reaffirmed that church leaders did ask government officials to let them know if and when the time came for a greater need for shelter for victims impacted by the storm.

No such request had reportedly been made before controversy surrounding Osteen and the church broke out on social media and quickly went viral.  ...