Author Topic: Vontaze Burfict suspension: Here's the hit and why it's illegal under new NFL rule  (Read 461 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Will Brinson
CBS Sports
September 28, 2017

Vontaze Burfict plans to appeal his suspension but this is clearly an illegal hit

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict once again finds himself on the wrong side of NFL discipline. The the oft-penalized defender is reportedly facing a five-game suspension for a hit on Chiefs fullback Anthony Sherman during the second week of the preseason.

The reported Burfict suspension is drawing plenty of attention on Monday morning, with folks wondering whether he actually hit Sherman illegally.

In fact, it's a new NFL rule that's being used to penalize Burfict, one of the most penalized defenders in NFL history. This offseason, the NFL made it a rule that any running back or wide receiver or tight end running a receiving route would be considered in a defenseless position.

More

Wingnut

NPL

National Pansy League.

Offline Suppressed

NPL

National Pansy League.

Yes, but it does seem like that was a ridiculous hit.  The guy wasn't anywhere near the ball, which had been released.  If it was being thrown to him, then the hit would have been illegal...so it was known that the ball wasn't being thrown to him and the hit was just gratuitous on a player looking away because the ball wasn't there.

If this helps take it away from the National Thug League, then I'm in favor of that.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn