Author Topic: Trump's pardon of ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio was the right (and courageous) thing to do  (Read 589 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump's pardon of ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio was the right (and courageous) thing to do
Fox News, Aug 26, 2017, James Fotis 

President Trump stood up for justice and for enforcement of our immigration laws when he courageously granted a pardon Friday to Joe Arpaio, the former sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona. Despite knowing he would face criticism, the president did what was right.

Arpaio was convicted by a federal judge in July of criminal contempt after being charged with violating a court order that attempted to prevent suspected illegal immigrants from being targeted by the sheriff’s traffic patrols. The sheriff acknowledged continuing the patrols, but said that targeting was not the focus.

Arpaio’s conviction arose out of a lawsuit wrongfully accusing the sheriff’s office of violating the rights of Hispanics, allegedly using racial profiling tactics to identify people for traffic stops, and detaining convicts based only on the suspicion that they were illegal immigrants. Arpaio denied all wrongdoing.

I sat in the courtroom through Arpaio’s trial and concluded that he was wrongfully convicted. As a former law enforcement officer myself and former executive director of the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, I know that Arpaio was dedicated to protecting the public he served and that his highest priority was keeping his community safe.

Hearing testimony during Arpaio’s trial, I realized that any reasonable person who was there to pass judgment on this honest law-abiding man – who gave his life to the rule of law – could never have found him guilty on the evidence presented.

More:  http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/26/trumps-pardon-ex-sheriff-joe-arpaio-was-right-and-courageous-thing-to-do.html

Offline Suppressed

The piece is long on rhetoric and short on evidence.  Disappointing.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

The piece is long on rhetoric and short on evidence.  Disappointing.
It must be hard being you.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Here's another view....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/08/27/sheriff-joe-arpaio-no-conservative-no-hero-no-matter-what-trump-says-jon-gabriel-column/606012001/
It seems too easy to forget how corrupt Arpaio was aside from the immigration issue. From the article you
cited:

During one three-year period, his Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office didn’t properly investigate
more than 400 alleged sex crimes, many of them involving child molestation.

In all, the department improperly cleared as many as 75% of cases without arrest or investigation,
a fact outlined in a scathing report by the conservative Goldwater Institute.

When local journalists delved into Arpaio’s dealings, he had them arrested, a move that ultimately
cost taxpayers $3.75 million. We paid $3.5 million more after the sheriff wrongfully arrested a
county supervisor who had been critical of him.

About the same time, Arpaio sought charges against another supervisor, a county board member,
the school superintendent, four Superior Court Judges and several county employees. All of these
were cleared by the courts and also resulted in hefty taxpayer-funded settlements for his targets.

As a U.S. District Court judge presided over a civil contempt hearing, Arpaio’s attorney hired a
private detective to investigate the judge's wife.

If Donaldus Minimus was any kind of aware of those points, they seem to have escaped him,
or he plain just couldn't have cared less.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.