Author Topic: Hungary Fights Persecution of Christians  (Read 562 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Hungary Fights Persecution of Christians
« on: August 27, 2017, 02:02:43 am »
Hungary Fights Persecution of Christians

BUDAPEST (ChurchMilitant.com) - Catholic Hungary is making good on plans to become a leading advocate for persecuted Christians.

Over the past few days, the central European nation has made headlines for intervening to save a former Muslim from being forced to return to Iran.

Iranian actress Aideen Strandson quietly renounced Islam while still living in her homeland. After seeing footage of a woman being stoned to death, she recalled, "I decided at that moment, I don't want to be a Muslim anymore." Shortly after, she said, "I had a dream about Jesus. He was sitting near me, and he took my hand."

In 2014, Strandsson fled Iran for Sweden, where she applied for a work visa, petitioned for asylum and asked for a public baptism to confirm her embrace of Christianity.

But recently, though Sweden has admitted hundreds of thousands of migrants over the past few years, the country's migration board rejected Strandsson's asylum request. She was ordered back to Iran, where as an "apostate," she could face prison or death for leaving Islam for Christianity.

"It's not our problem if you decided to become a Christian," Swedish officials told Strandsson.

Now, Hungary has responded by opening its doors to her. "Taking in persecuted Christians is our moral and constitutional duty," explained Deputy Prime Minister Zsolt Semjén. The move is the latest example of Hungary's growing emphasis on the plight of Christians around the world.

Continued: https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/hungary-fights-persecution-of-christians