Author Topic: Arpaio, 85, hints at return to politics after pardon from Trump  (Read 382 times)

Wingnut

Just chill Joe.  Enjoy your get out of jail free card.

----

Shortly after receiving a pardon from President Trump, former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio hinted to local reporters he might return to politics.

Arpaio told the Associated Press he wouldn’t rule out running for office again, saying he would be “very active” politically, even at age 85. He had the same message for the state’s largest newspaper.

“I told my wife I don’t want nothing to do with politics, but now I’ve got to rethink that,” Arpaio told the Arizona Republic. “I think I’ve got a big political message to get out.”

Arpaio had been convicted last month of criminal contempt of court for ignoring a federal judge’s order to stop detaining people based on their perceived immigration status. He had faced up to six months in prison at his sentencing, originally set for Oct. 5.

The sudden, and unusual, presidential pardon seemed to answer a lingering question: What future would await Arpaio, one of the most polarizing figures in law enforcement and a longtime darling of the far right, after he was voted out of office last fall?

The sheriff’s critics have maintained that the police practices Arpaio sanctioned were racially motivated and illegal. Arpaio has refused to admit any wrongdoing, insisting even after the pardon that his conviction had been the victim of “a political witch hunt” by the Obama administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/08/26/arpaio-85-hints-at-return-to-politics-after-pardon-from-trump/?utm_term=.7f77efd0af2a
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:34:24 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Applewood

Re: Arpaio, 85, hints at return to politics after pardon from Trump
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:32:51 pm »
I think he should quit while he's ahead.