Author Topic: Basebrawl Comerica: The umps got some splainin' to do  (Read 1872 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Basebrawl Comerica: The umps got some splainin' to do
« on: August 25, 2017, 07:16:17 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/08/25/basebrawl-comerica-the-umps-got-some-splainin-to-do/

If baseball government intends to investigate the Thursday afternoon riots on the Comerica Park field in
Detroit, they should begin by calling home plate umpire Carlos Torres to account and asking him one
question. The question is, “What on earth were you not thinking when Michael Fulmer drilled Gary Sanchez
in the top of the fifth?”

When Sanchez checked in at the plate against Fulmer an inning earlier, the young Yankee star had
absolutely no thought that the hanger he’d hit over the center field fence to open the inning would get
him a fastball on the hip an inning later, after Aaron Hicks’s sacrifice fly made it a 3-2 Yankee lead.

Maybe the Tigers were a little tired of Sanchez hitting like a wrecking machine at their expense this week,
considering Sanchez had gone deep twice on Tuesday and once on Wednesday. But maybe Fulmer didn’t
stop to think that Sanchez taking one on the hip an inning after he went long yet again just didn’t look
pure.

“I respect Gary Sanchez, I really do,” Fulmer pleaded about the Yankee who beat him out for the American
League’s Rookie of the Year award last year. “I would never throw at anybody that hit a homer off of me,
just because they hit a home run.”

If he thought Yankee manager Joe Girardi bought that for one nanosecond, Fulmer should be advised not
to go into the bridge selling business. “If you can’t see that Fulmer clearly hit Sanchez on purpose,” Girardi
said, “there’s something wrong.” Indeed, Girardi would argue, persuasively, that Torres and company’s failure
to hand down a warning at minimum planted the seed for what sprouted in short enough order.

When baseball’s current hottest hitter takes one in the hip a smart umpire assumes there’s liable to be payback
and does what has to be done to prevent it. Forget the warning, Fulmer—whose face gave every indication of
“mission accomplished” after he drilled Sanchez—should have been tossed.

Let Ausmus scream blue murder. The toss would have taken the Yankees’ reason for payback away. And they
could have continued playing baseball without the Yankees and the Tigers’ impersonations of the Ultimate
Fighting Championship.

When Yankee reliever Tommy Kahnle threw behind Miguel Cabrera with two out in the bottom of the sixth, a
classic you-drilled-our-hottest-hitter-we-get-your-best-hitter message pitch, Torres tossed him post haste, with
no warning, and the pitch hadn’t even hit Cabrera. Out went Kahnle, in came struggling Aroldis Chapman,
recently relieved of the closer’s job, and then the real fun began.

Cabrera and Yankee catcher Austin Romine had words, then Romine had a spot on the ground when Cabrera
gave him a shove in the chest, followed by a couple of punches after Romine went down. The benches emptied
and what looked like an ugly street brawl broke out, including Sanchez ill-advisedly jumping in and throwing
a sucker punch or three on Cabrera, which is probably likely to get him a few games off for bad behaviour.

But Cabrera got thrown out of the game, too, and rightfully, while Romine also got tossed for no crime worse
than trying to defend himself. Both men had slightly different takes on it. Cabrera said he didn’t so much
object to being thrown at as he did with Romine talking to the umpire, saying he told Romine to calm down.
Romine said Cabrera asked if the problem was him to which Romine said he replied, “It’s not about you.”

One inning later, Betances drilled Tiger catcher James McCann in the helmet on the second pitch of the inning.
There’s a point that the last thing Betances wanted to do was put the leadoff man on the hard way in a game
that was tied at six by that point, and he didn’t exactly look like a man who’d just hit his target, but crew chief
Dana DeMuth ran Betances after the second brawl of the day began clearing.

“I threw him out and that was to keep control of the game,” DeMuth said after the game. “And the reason
why it took a minute or so, was because I wanted to get the players apart. Once I got Detroit going to their
dugout and New York going to their dugout, then I informed him that he was ran. It wasn’t necessarily of
him intentionally beaning the batter, but to keep control of the situation, I deemed it necessary that he
went.”

With a mouth that mealy—yes, it’s fair to wonder what DeMuth was dreaming during his little snooze when
Fulmer nailed Sanchez—DeMuth might make a good U.S. senator, if not a better U.S. president.

David Robertson came in for Betances and caught John Hicks, the next Tiger batter, in the hand, but the
umpires couldn’t determine if Robertson was trying to drill Hicks. But Wilson, who’d relieved Fulmer in the
seventh, had absolutely no doubt, and to prove it he drilled Todd Frazier in the leg on the first pitch, with
one out in the top of the eighth. Basebrawl number three of the day.

One way or the other, the Tigers managed to win the game, 10-6, a day after the Yankees buried them
10-2 with Sanchez contributing to much of that mayhem. But his contributions then came strictly courtesy
of his bat on pitches with “Hit me!” signs on them.

The season series between the two teams is finished. The adherence to outmoded unwritten rules, and
umpires’ still too selective judgments on purpose pitches, isn’t, unfortunately. And if Sanchez is one of the
Yankees who face an unpaid day or four off, with the Yankees clawing for a piece of the postseason pie,
that’s the last thing he and they need.

“I was in the dugout; I looked up, and I saw Romine rolling on the ground with the other guys,” Sanchez
said through an interpreter to reporters after the game. “In that moment, instinct takes over because
you want to protect your teammate. That’s your family out there. Everything happened so quickly, it
was a blur.”

Not good, and someone’s going to have to tell the kid that that’s not the best way to make friends, influence
people, and help your team down the stretch of a pennant race. But in one way you couldn’t fault him. It
was Sanchez taking one for the team that he shouldn’t have had to take at all that seeded the rumbles in
the first place.

The umpires ought to have some splainin’ to do.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks   
@Machiavelli
@Wingnut
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@DCPatriot
@Jazzhead   
@dfwgator 
@Cyber Liberty 
@TomSea   
@Freya
@Suppressed
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:09:38 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Basebrawl Comerica: The umps got some splainin' to do
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 07:23:57 pm »
Written by an obvious Yankee fan.  :silly:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 07:24:56 pm »
 :beer:

Excellent! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 07:28:33 pm »
Written by an obvious Yankee fan.  :silly:
@Cripplecreek
Actually, on personal baseball notes, I've been a Met fan since the day they were born and a Red Sox
fan since the 1967 pennant race. (Want to see my drug bills from October 1986?)

But would you care to splain why a pitcher throwing at a hitter for no reason better than his ego
(and that of his fellow pitchers, considering Sanchez's long ball mayhem in the first two games of
the set) being taken over the center field fence in his previous at-bat shouldn't be thrown out of
the game post haste? Throw Fulmer out and a) you take away any Yankee instinct for retaliation, and
b) you probably don't get a brawl game out of it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 07:29:39 pm »
:beer:

Excellent!
@DCPatriot
Make it . . .

. . . because we're better than whichever cheapskate put up cheapo swill for the emoji! ;)

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 07:36:10 pm »
Didn't see the game, but just from the info provided here I might go at least as hard on the pitcher who drilled a batter in the head as I was the pitcher who hit a batter on the hip.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 07:40:49 pm »
A good article on an ugly situation.
All in all, I'd say it is a really good thing these teams don't play each other again this season.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 08:00:11 pm »
Didn't see the game, but just from the info provided here I might go at least as hard on the pitcher who drilled a batter in the head as I was the pitcher who hit a batter on the hip.
@skeeter
They probably will.

But the salient point is that if Fulmer had been tossed post haste for hitting Sanchez in the hip
in the first place, there might not have been a later head pitch. You'd have removed the Yankees
instinct for payback, and while the Tigers might have barked if Fulmer got tossed they'd have
had no further reason to bite. This one's on the umpires who fell asleep at the switch when
Sanchez got drilled.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 08:02:04 pm »
A good article on an ugly situation.
All in all, I'd say it is a really good thing these teams don't play each other again this season.
@Polly Ticks
Fat lot of good that did Bryce Harper when Hunter Strickland was stupid enough to drill him
over a three-year-old postseason home run. (And, while Strickland was at it, trigger the
delayed-reaction brawl that may now have cost Michael Morse what was left of his career
. . . )

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:41:24 pm »
I'm seeing a trend here Ace....

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 08:51:19 pm »
I'm seeing a trend here Ace....

Yeah!  Me to! :whistle:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 09:07:45 pm »
I only wish you guys were seeing a trend of long-enough-last umpire accountability. There
was and remains absolutely no excuse for either plate ump Carlos Torres or crew chief
Dana DeMuth to have left room for things going as far as they ultimately did by not either
throwing Michael Fulmer out of the game for deliberately throwing at Gary Sanchez in
the fifth or at least issuing warnings to both sides.

Meanwhile, back at the raunch . . .

* Miguel Cabrera got a seven-game suspension for starting the first brawl when he shoved
Austine Romine to the ground and punched him a time or two when Romine hit the deck.
My verdict: Good call on Cabrera, a little excessive on Romine, since he did nothing more
than try to defend himself when Cabrera shoved and punched him. (Romine was talking to
Torres behind the plate as Cabrera checked in at the plate and began hollering at Romine,
who apparently tried to tell Cabrera the discussion had nothing to do with him directly.)
I'd have given Romine two games.

* Sanchez got a four-game suspension for being fool enough to throw a couple of
sucker punches at Cabrera on the ground after Sanchez left the Yankee dugout to join
up with and help his mates. My verdict: Good call.

* Tiger reliever Alex Wilson got a four game suspension for throwing at Todd Frazier
after the way-overdue warnings went out. My verdict: Good call.

* Tiger manager Brad Ausmus got a one-game suspension over Wilson throwing at Frazier.
My verdict: Dubious, since it isn't exactly clear whether Ausmus knew, never mind sanctioned,
Wilson throwing at Frazier. Pitchers do act on their own in such situations more often
than not; it's a rare manager who'll suggest his man throw at their guy. (Remember the
Hunter Strickland/Bryce Harper incident earlier this season? Strickland acted entirely on
his own throwing at Harper. And, I repeat, the subsequent brawl may have cost Strickland's
teammate Michael Morse what remains of his career thanks to the concussion when he
collided with Jeff Samardzija . . . )

* Fulmer, whose drilling of Sanchez an inning after Sanchez took him deep planted
the seed for the whole damn thing in the first place, got . . . nothing.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 09:29:23 pm »
I'm standing with the umps.   Otherwise there is antifa.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 12:36:53 am »
I'm standing with the umps.   Otherwise there is antifa.
Want to stand with the umps? Tell them to do their jobs. Fulmer should have been made
gone when he threw at Sanchez. You don't throw at someone for no reason other than your
ego getting taken over the fence his previous time up. Throw out Fulmer and there wouldn't
have been basebrawl in Detroit Thursday.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:40:07 am by EasyAce »

Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 12:38:20 am »
Want to stand with the umps? Tell them to do their goddam jobs. Fulmer should have been
gone when he threw at Sanchez. You don't throw at someone for no reason other than your
ego getting taken over the fence his previous time up. Throw out Fulmer and there wouldn't
have been basebrawl in Detroit Thursday.

I think the umps should be armed with Pepperballs. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 12:40:52 am »
I think the umps should be armed with Pepperballs.
You're either a) joking or b) a fool. Knowing you as I do elsewhere around the forum, I'm
guessing a).

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 12:44:23 am »
You're either a) joking or b) a fool. Knowing you as I do elsewhere around the forum, I'm
guessing a).

He's pulling on your string!  And it's workin!   :happyhappy:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 12:47:07 am »

Damn....  I have been found out!  :beer:

Relax Ace.  It is all good!  lol

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 12:55:08 am »

@Bigun
Hey, I did guess a) joking!

I figured it out after I told the umps to do their goddam jobs.

By extension, it probably means telling Joe Torre (baseball's designated chief justice) to
do his job, too. You'd think he'd know better after some of the run-ins he had with
guys like Joe West when he was a manager.

@Wingnut
Forget the pepperballs. We need to rig up a special weapon that'll shoot dead grapefruits
at every ump who blows a call.

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 12:57:13 am »
@Bigun
Hey, I did guess a) joking!

I figured it out after I told the umps to do their goddam jobs.

By extension, it probably means telling Joe Torre (baseball's designated chief justice) to
do his job, too. You'd think he'd know better after some of the run-ins he had with
guys like Joe West when he was a manager.

@Wingnut
Forget the pepperballs. We need to rig up a special weapon that'll shoot dead grapefruits
at every ump who blows a call.

It makes Me miss the Luciano days. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 01:05:32 am »
It makes Me miss the Luciano days.
Luciano was actually a very good ump. Baseball needs more like him and less of the Joe Wests
and the Angel Hernandezes and the Dana DeMuths and the C.B. Bucknors. Umps who know
what they're doing and have a sense of humour about it.

Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 01:14:06 am »
Luciano was actually a very good ump. Baseball needs more like him and less of the Joe Wests
and the Angel Hernandezes and the Dana DeMuths and the C.B. Bucknors. Umps who know

Now we found common ground.  The Humor. Funny stuff.  Laughing at stuff....  The world has gone insane and somewhere ...that was got lost.   

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 01:31:22 am »

:amen:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 01:36:53 am »

I hear tell that Luciano and the Yog were buds behind the scenes.  Any truth to the rumor?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 01:38:07 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 01:39:11 am »
I hear tell that Luciano and the Yog were buds behind the scenes.  Any truth to the rumor?

I'm only thu his 1st book....Can't say for sure.  @EasyAce Ace?