Author Topic: View of the Border from the Rio Grande Valley and Del Rio  (Read 296 times)

rangerrebew

View of the Border from the Rio Grande Valley and Del Rio
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:13:56 pm »
View of the Border from the Rio Grande Valley and Del Rio

By Andrew R. Arthur on August 22, 2017

I recently returned from a tour that took me cross-country through Texas to the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) and beyond. What I saw presented a slightly different view from that driving the debate on border walls and amnesties.

The border part of my trip began in Austin, more than 300 miles north of the RGV. Interstate highways led me past the city, 70 miles down the road to San Antonio toward Corpus Christi, before turning off onto U.S. 281, a desolate stretch of highway that will soon become part of Interstate 69 (I-69). This interstate will eventually run from Texas to seven other states: Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan. The road work has already begun on vast stretches of the road, with significant improvements in some places, but years-old blacktop in others. Around McAllen, I was told that the route would likely carry citrus and other goods north into the eastern United States, but will not rival its sister interstate to the west, I-35, which helps to make Laredo America's busiest inland port.

https://cis.org/Arthur/View-Border-Rio-Grande-Valley-and-Del-Rio

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: View of the Border from the Rio Grande Valley and Del Rio
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:19:02 pm »
For later.