Author Topic: How 139 countries could be powered by 100 percent wind, water, and solar energy by 2050  (Read 2181 times)

rangerrebew

How 139 countries could be powered by 100 percent wind, water, and solar energy by 2050

Date:
    August 23, 2017
Source:
    Cell Press
Summary:
    The latest roadmap to a 100 percent renewable energy future outlines infrastructure changes that 139 countries can make to be entirely powered by wind, water, and sunlight by 2050 after electrification of all energy sectors. Such a transition could mean less worldwide energy consumption due to the efficiency of clean, renewable electricity; and a net increase of over 24 million long-term jobs.
Share:

FULL STORY

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170823121339.htm

rangerrebew

So what?  As I remember it, that's when St. Algore says the world will burn up anyway. *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Joe Wooten

The whole article is just bull$hit.

it's just another pack of lies designed to lull folks into realizing Amory Lovin's dream of killing off 90% of humanity and the enslavement of the rest by a tyrannical elite.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:34:43 pm by Joe Wooten »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The whole article is just bull$hit.

it's just another pack of lies designed to lull folks into realizing Amory Lovin's dream of killing off 90% of humanity and the enslavement of the rest by a tyrannical elite.
The infographic shows electrical demand down 42.5% by 2050. Either all the 'penny stinkers' will be living in caves again, or these folks are predicting a massive die-off instead of ordinary procreation.

Uh.... no.  **nononono*  People will not go quietly into that night.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
And you will have a one room mud hut, a light bulb, and a hot plate.
The Republic is lost.

rangerrebew

The infographic shows electrical demand down 42.5% by 2050. 

France is going to require non-fossil fuel cars by 2040, the US is putting a big emphasis on electric cars, and grids can barely sustain the electric needs now.  There seems to be a conflict of messages here.

Offline Smokin Joe

France is going to require non-fossil fuel cars by 2040, the US is putting a big emphasis on electric cars, and grids can barely sustain the electric needs now.  There seems to be a conflict of messages here.
There is another way, of course. Ban cars, or make them prohibitively expensive to own. Nothing like stepping back to pre-industrial civilization to satisfy the propagation of a myth. Of course, when the ambulance won't run I suppose that will cut medical costs, too. win/win /sarc....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

There is another way, of course. Ban cars, or make them prohibitively expensive to own. Nothing like stepping back to pre-industrial civilization to satisfy the propagation of a myth. Of course, when the ambulance won't run I suppose that will cut medical costs, too. win/win /sarc....
They will never be banned, except for the little people like us.

The ruling class will continue to use them, like Algore spewing his carbon footprint around the world while he condemns others who do it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
The infographic shows electrical demand down 42.5% by 2050. Either all the 'penny stinkers' will be living in caves again, or these folks are predicting a massive die-off instead of ordinary procreation.

Uh.... no.  **nononono*  People will not go quietly into that night.

I do love my LED lights but that's not about being green, its about saving green.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Since the wind don't always blow and the sun don't always shine, I wonder how the idiots will achieve 100% renewable power?  They are tearing down dams, so cannot depend upon water.  Batteries?  One can only image getting that much stored juice that will be needed and watching the fireball when they catch fire like batteries are prone to do.

A lot of people will die of starvation, freezing weather or accidents if these 'experts' are allowed to attempt this foolish endeavor.

Those who retain hydrocarbons and nuclear power will then be sitting pretty.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

Since the wind don't always blow and the sun don't always shine, I wonder how the idiots will achieve 100% renewable power?  They are tearing down dams, so cannot depend upon water. Batteries?  One can only image getting that much stored juice that will be needed and watching the fireball when they catch fire like batteries are prone to do.

A lot of people will die of starvation, freezing weather or accidents if these 'experts' are allowed to attempt this foolish endeavor.

Those who retain hydrocarbons and nuclear power will then be sitting pretty.

One of the dumbest things mankind has undertaken.

Offline RoosGirl

I do love my LED lights but that's not about being green, its about saving green.

We haven't found a brand that lasts anywhere near as long as they are supposed to.  They're already more expensive than incandescent bulbs, add in that you have to buy them more frequently and they're really up there.  But, 99% of the lighting in our house are high hats and the LEDs definitely do not put as much heat into the room so we keep buying them.

Offline Smokin Joe

We haven't found a brand that lasts anywhere near as long as they are supposed to.  They're already more expensive than incandescent bulbs, add in that you have to buy them more frequently and they're really up there.  But, 99% of the lighting in our house are high hats and the LEDs definitely do not put as much heat into the room so we keep buying them.
One thing about living where the Arctic Circle dips down (well, not quite) is that in summer at peak we have 16 hours of daylight. In winter at the 'daylight minimum', we have eight. Since winter temps get well below zero with regularity, the heat from the incandescent bulbs wasn't wasted, it helped heat the place, and in the room you were using. In summer, we rarely used them, because it was daylight from 5AM to 11PM, so, very little waste heat.
I stocked up on hospitality industry grade 60W incandescents, and haven't regretted it.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

One thing about living where the Arctic Circle dips down (well, not quite) is that in summer at peak we have 16 hours of daylight. In winter at the 'daylight minimum', we have eight. Since winter temps get well below zero with regularity, the heat from the incandescent bulbs wasn't wasted, it helped heat the place, and in the room you were using. In summer, we rarely used them, because it was daylight from 5AM to 11PM, so, very little waste heat.
I stocked up on hospitality industry grade 60W incandescents, and haven't regretted it.

I talked with my husband if we could change out the LED for incandescents during the winter, but with 20' ceilings in the main part of the house we decided it was more of a pain than it was worth. :)

Offline bolobaby

"...due to the efficiency of clean, renewable electricity..."

Right away you know this article is complete and utter BS because of the lack of the prefix "in" on that word "efficiency."
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Smokin Joe

I talked with my husband if we could change out the LED for incandescents during the winter, but with 20' ceilings in the main part of the house we decided it was more of a pain than it was worth. :)
I can see where ceilings that high could be a help in beating the heat in a more equatorial latitude. Ours are  only about half that, a normal thing in 100 year old houses where it gets hot in summer, too. (Continental Climate, no mitigating effects from ocean currents--hot in summer, very cold in winter.)

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

I can see where ceilings that high could be a help in beating the heat in a more equatorial latitude. Ours are  only about half that, a normal thing in 100 year old houses where it gets hot in summer, too. (Continental Climate, no mitigating effects from ocean currents--hot in summer, very cold in winter.)

Yeah, but we're a new house so the main room has no windows that open.  I wallow in the stupidity of our purchase almost every day. :)

Offline Smokin Joe

Yeah, but we're a new house so the main room has no windows that open.  I wallow in the stupidity of our purchase almost every day. :)
Bummer. A couple of skylights to vent hot air, windows at lower level to bring in cool air at night, and the place would cool itself in all but the worst of summer.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

Bummer. A couple of skylights to vent hot air, windows at lower level to bring in cool air at night, and the place would cool itself in all but the worst of summer.

Hahaha, come spend a year in central Florida and I think you may find that the worst of summer lasts about 10 months. :)

Offline Cripplecreek

I like the LEDs for the 75 watts worth of light at 10 watts of electricity.

Offline RoosGirl

I like the LEDs for the 75 watts worth of light at 10 watts of electricity.

Yeah, I haven't done the math because I haven't closely tracked how long on average our LED lights actually last, but I am hesitant to believe that the cost difference in electricity makes up for the cost of the lights.  If they lasted as long as they are supposed to maybe.

Offline Cripplecreek

Yeah, I haven't done the math because I haven't closely tracked how long on average our LED lights actually last, but I am hesitant to believe that the cost difference in electricity makes up for the cost of the lights.  If they lasted as long as they are supposed to maybe.

The ability to track electricity usage was one of the things I found that I like about the smart meters.

On an average night without the AC running I have between 4 and 5 lights on. I saw an easy 25% drop over night. That's one light here, 2 outside, 1 in the bathroom, and 1 in the kitchen.

Its been nearly a year since I switched those and none have burned out yet. I can't get incandescent bulbs that last a year anymore.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I did the math a while back when I replaced six fluorescents in my kitchen with LED.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but if I/they last long enough I may be able to eventually recoup the cost of ONE of them.

If I had 20' ceilings where I didn't want to change a bulb, like ever, I'd go LED.  But I'd do so knowing it was costing me a lot more.

I went LED because I was sick of throwing the switch and wondering how many would actually come on.  I know I could have changed the ballasts a lot cheaper, but I just wanted to be done with it.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The dream:
"How 139 countries could be powered by 100 percent wind, water, and solar energy by 2050"

By 2050, the dream is going to meet something called "reality".
Probably will happen long before that.

Offline Joe Wooten

The dream:
"How 139 countries could be powered by 100 percent wind, water, and solar energy by 2050"

By 2050, the dream is going to meet something called "reality".
Probably will happen long before that.

Look for Californicatia to collide with reality by 2020......