Author Topic: 62 Percent of Americans See Trump as Divider, Poll Finds  (Read 2973 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
62 Percent of Americans See Trump as Divider, Poll Finds
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:12:15 am »

Nearly two-thirds of American voters believe President Donald Trump is doing more to divide the country than he is to unite it, according to a new poll released Wednesday.

The Quinnipiac University Poll reported 62 percent of the voters it surveyed felt that Trump is increasing divisions in the country; 31 percent said they felt the opposite.

The poll reflected public sentiment following violent clashes this month in Charlottesville, Virginia,....

Continued: https://www.voanews.com/a/trump-quinnipiac-poll/3998013.html

I think a lot of that 77 minute speech last night, was aimed at trying to straighten out some of this. It was a bad week last week, rightly or wrongly, per perceptions but I'm sure we will see an upswing.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: 62 Percent of Americans See Trump as Divider, Poll Finds
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:31:13 am »
Voters also said they trust news media more than they trust Trump to tell the truth, by a margin of 54 percent to 36 percent. Ten percent of survey respondents said they did not know whether to trust Trump or the news media.

People are stupid.

Trump isn't set out to harm this country like the news media is.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 01:33:14 am »
Voters also said they trust news media more than they trust Trump to tell the truth, by a margin of 54 percent to 36 percent. Ten percent of survey respondents said they did not know whether to trust Trump or the news media.

People are stupid.

But, to be fair, the "news media" can mean a lot of things these days.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 01:44:08 am »
But, to be fair, the "news media" can mean a lot of things these days.

True. But what do people think when they are asked this question? What do you think?

How do you stand?

A co-worker, 21 years in the military, told me today he is getting an increase in his Veteran benefits (next spring). The most he has gotten in eight years. Where is the media coverage on that??

There is a thread here now about the drop in new Fed regs since Trump.

Incremental changes. But in the right direction.

My point is I think there are more positive things going on since Trump that aren't reported or under reported. And there is far too much other crap--lies--being over reported.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 02:12:06 am »
"62 Percent of Americans See Trump as Divider..."

That's fine with me.

Mr. Trump certainly has been "a divider" right here in the Briefing Room!

And frankly, it's TIME "to take sides" in this country. There's clearly one side that wishes to destroy all that traditional Americans have built up for the past 225+ years. Right now, they're growing bolder... and stronger.

I want to see that side vanquished, totally. This needs to be done before we confront the even greater struggle that is worldwide -- the battle of islam v. freedom.

If we expect to win that one, we'd better win against the left here first.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 02:16:50 am »
True. But what do people think when they are asked this question? What do you think?

How do you stand?

A co-worker, 21 years in the military, told me today he is getting an increase in his Veteran benefits (next spring). The most he has gotten in eight years. Where is the media coverage on that??

There is a thread here now about the drop in new Fed regs since Trump.

Incremental changes. But in the right direction.

My point is I think there are more positive things going on since Trump that aren't reported or under reported. And there is far too much other crap--lies--being over reported.

Well, I haven't had cable TV in about 3 years now and I never watch local TV via antenna so all of my news comes from reading online.  I'm sure I'm not the average person, though I doubt I am the only one like me.  I know the "news media" lies, but I also know that Trump lies.  I think I would be in that 10 percent that answered they didn't know who to trust.

I'm glad there are positive things that Trump has done.  I don't expect miracles; I'm okay with a little bit at a time.  It would be nice if it were easier to get accurate information on them.  As it is there's always some kind of spin on the piddly little stuff (like the water bottles in national parks) that get blown out of proportion with how much of a positive change it actually is.  That kind of thing wears a person down also with not knowing what to believe.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 02:21:51 am »

I do not think that the Art of the Dealmaker knows how to do anything but bully, ridicule and intimidate people towards his position.

Which is why he has no ability to unite a permanently divided country that no longer agrees with the foundational principles that established us.

A speech is not going to fix that problem anyway.  It's a lot bigger and deeper than most of us realize.

I doubt even Reagan could soothe the firestorm at this stage.  Two generations or more WANT Communism and Marxism and to punish Whitey and the Producers and take what they have using the government to do it under the color of law.

A speech does not fix that.

That is a major character and soul problem of a people.

One man cannot fix it.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 03:00:25 am »
It all wears me out, @RoosGirl and @INVAR. My main thought throughout last fall in the political sense was "You have got to be effing kidding me."

I only really talk to 4 people at work. They are much more aware of what is happening in this country than they were a year ago.

See what I am saying? This country was divided before Trump. He has merely helped to define that divide.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:00:46 am by bigheadfred »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 03:03:52 am »
It all wears me out, @RoosGirl and @INVAR. My main thought throughout last fall in the political sense was "You have got to be effing kidding me."
  Haha, yep!

I only really talk to 4 people at work. They are much more aware of what is happening in this country than they were a year ago.

See what I am saying? This country was divided before Trump. He has merely helped to define that divide.

Yes, I said something similar on the thread you just caught up with regarding ditching the Republican party.  Basically that people had been saying for a while that the Republicans had moved past wanting conservatives in the party, but it took Trump winning the nomination for the dumbest of us (meaning me!) to believe them.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 03:05:01 am »
Good. Unity is overrated.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 03:17:29 am »
Are the 62% only those who voted last December, or every adult, etc.?

Start with virtually all democrats (Hillary voters) that are against Trump, which accounts for 50 of the supposed 62.

Then a degree of skepticism over the whole idea of dividing the country.

I remember vividly summer 1968, with riots at the democrat convention in Chicago. College campuses were up in arms over Vietnam.

Nixon won however. And won by a lot more in 1972, divided or not.

Saying the nation is "divided" is just one of the media's standard themes, like calling Republicans and conservatives Nazis etc.

They do everything they can to make it divided, or to seem that way.

1968 Summer Olympics, Mexico City

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 03:23:49 am »
Good. Unity is overrated.

And familiarity breeds contempt.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 03:34:42 am »

Start with virtually all democrats (Hillary voters) that are against Trump, which accounts for 50 of the supposed 62.

I remember vividly summer 1968, with riots at the democrat convention in Chicago. College campuses were up in arms over Vietnam.

Saying the nation is "divided" is just one of the media's standard themes, like calling Republicans and conservatives Nazis etc.

I think it is more divided. People see their way of life going away, with no hope of replacing it. Or what they are replacing it with is something they don't want. The people out there eager to be replacement parts don't seem to understand how good they have it.

I can only speak for myself. I am more to one side now than I have ever been. Throughout my life I have always treated both sides with equal contempt. That has changed.

Online corbe

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 04:21:25 am »
   These polls are asking these stupid questions of the same 3.3 million people that somehow found satisfaction in the final choice of hellary vs. Trump. 
   Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 06:35:05 pm »
Perhaps we might compile a Conservative Thesaurus here at TBR.

Unity: synonym for Surrender

Bipartisan: synonym for Date Rape

Divider: synonym for Refuses to sell out the people who voted for them

Would anyone care to offer any more?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 06:37:47 pm »

This also happened in the 1968 Summer Olympics....

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 06:49:41 pm »
Perhaps we might compile a Conservative Thesaurus here at TBR.

Unity: synonym for Surrender

Bipartisan: synonym for Date Rape

Divider: synonym for Refuses to sell out the people who voted for them

Would anyone care to offer any more?

Racist = anyone who's opinion upsets a progressive

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 07:16:58 pm »
Can I be a conservative and an ahole at the same time?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 07:21:07 pm »
Racist = anyone who's opinion upsets a progressive

blij26

Keep 'em coming folks.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 07:36:39 pm »
Well, I haven't had cable TV in about 3 years now and I never watch local TV via antenna so all of my news comes from reading online.  I'm sure I'm not the average person, though I doubt I am the only one like me.  I know the "news media" lies, but I also know that Trump lies.  I think I would be in that 10 percent that answered they didn't know who to trust.

I'm glad there are positive things that Trump has done.  I don't expect miracles; I'm okay with a little bit at a time.  It would be nice if it were easier to get accurate information on them.  As it is there's always some kind of spin on the piddly little stuff (like the water bottles in national parks) that get blown out of proportion with how much of a positive change it actually is.  That kind of thing wears a person down also with not knowing what to believe.

On another thread a poster referenced a quote attributed to "no one".  Being pretty sure I'd seen that quote regularly attributed to Jefferson, I looked it up.  Yep, several references.  But also some to de Tocqueville, Franklin and (spit) Hamilton.  The majority pointed to a Scot named Tytler or Tyler (depending on your source, I found multiple references to both), though one article said there was no (found) direct reference to him saying it until about 150 years later.

So, it appears that someone quite possibly said it, and the most likely person is someone history is not even solid on how his name was spelled.

What to believe, indeed.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 07:43:42 pm »
blij26

Keep 'em coming folks.

Progressive=Regressive--one step to the left and two steps back.

Online corbe

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 08:27:37 pm »
Can I be a conservative and an ahole at the same time?

Absolutely @bigheadfred according to the Trumpers that's the only 2 questions Myst ask on new memberships.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 08:40:24 pm »

Ahhh.  The good old days.  I'm looking forward to repeating them.

It's so weird.  I know this "nation divided" meme was created by the fake news, but I can't help but feel like the country really, really is divided.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 05:05:25 pm »
Progressive=Regressive--one step to the left and two steps back.

There's another keeper

Progressive: synonym for regressive, retrograde.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 05:29:33 pm »

People are stupid.

We are at a point now where we cannot trust the media on ANYTHING.

This poll, for example. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.