Author Topic: Methinks thou didst not protest enough  (Read 1623 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Methinks thou didst not protest enough
« on: August 23, 2017, 07:33:28 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/08/23/methinks-thou-didst-protest-not-enough/

So much for that protest. Major league umpires took to white wristbands last Saturday,
protesting Tigers infielder Ian Kinsler’s public rip of umpire Angel Hernandez, proclaiming
they’d wear the white bands until baseball government addressed if not cracked down on
verbal abuse from players. The protest lasted all of one day. The core issues won’t go away
that fast.

Ejected early last week for arguing pitch calls with Hernandez, Kinsler told Hernandez to his
face he was doing a horrible job, then continued his criticisms in on-the-record interviews.
Those got him fined ten large by baseball government. The wristband protest also inspired
baseball government to advise the World Umpires Association any further protest, wristband
or otherwise, would lighten its membership in the bank accounts, too.The WUA got themselves
a sit-down or two with baseball government in the wake of the protest, presumably to vent
their grievances over players treating them with less than unquestioning respect. Here’s
hoping neither they nor anyone else makes the mistake of thinking either Kinsler’s public
rip or the umpires’ protest was unprecedented, either.

In late September 1949, after a close play at the plate helped cost the Yankees a critical game
with the Red Sox as both drove toward the pennant the Yankees won, young Yankee outfielder
Cliff Mapes confronted plate umpire Bill Grieve—who’d done his best to avoid ejections after
backup catcher Ralph Houk went nuclear over Johnny Pesky beating a tag at the plate—and
demanded, “How much did you bet on the game, you son of a bitch?”

Almost half a century later, umpire Tom Hallion inadvertently bumped Rockies catcher Jeff
Reed when trying to settle a hash with pitcher Mike DeJean. Hallion was suspended three
games and the then-Major League Umpires Association was publicly outraged—though not
as much so as they’d have been if a player accidentally bumped an ump and got nothing
much more than a slap on the proverbial wrist.

Three years before Hallion’s bump, John Hirschbeck and Hall of Famer Roberto Alomar
tangled over an outside pitch Hirschbeck called a strike, leading to a verbal kerfuffle (Alomar
was turning back to his dugout, saying only, “Just pay attention to the game,” when Hirsch-
beck ejected him), leading to two men acting completely out of character, with Hirschbeck
calling Alomar a twelve-letter euphemism for maternal fornicator that gets people assaulted
at minimum in Latino communities, and Alomar spitting toward the ump in outrage in reply.

Alomar was suspended five games, to be served the following season.No one excuses him
to this day (he certainly doesn’t), but Hirschbeck got nothing for provoking it.  But in due
course the two men patched it up, especially after Hirschbeck asked the Indians’ clubhouse
supervisor (Alomar became an Indian two years later) what Alomar was really like, and the
supervisor, Jack Efta, stunned the ump by saying, “He’s one of the two nicest people I’ve
ever met here. And you’re the other one.”

Joe West thought he was only giving Adrian Beltre the needle when he told USA Today in
June he thought Beltre was baseball’s biggest complainer. Baseball government was so
amused it suspended West three games . . . two months later. West has a reputation for
trying to make himself the center of the games he works but at least the man has a sense
of humour. Or did, until his own little funny got him three unpaid days off.

In the interim, Beltre thought he’d have a little fun when plate umpire Gerry Davis ordered
him to stand in, not adjacent to the on-deck circle. Beltre simply moved the big round
Rangers logo covering the circle over to where he preferred to stand. Davis ejected Beltre
post haste and suffered the wrath of the tweets for his lack of fun. Wonder if the umps
will protest when the Rangers hand fans small replicas of the on-deck circle logo.

Don’t fool yourselves that things were better in the so-called good old days when everyone
respected authority without question and players knew their place. Not when Babe Ruth
argued a call with umpire Brick Owens by punching Owens in the face. Not when John McGraw
punched umpire Bill Byron in the jaw after a game. Kinsler ripping Hernandez for
incompetence in the press isn’t exactly in that league.

When the former MLUA’s director Richie Phillips masterminded the mass resignation “strategy”
that ended up destroying his union and costing a few umps their careers in 1999—not to
mention leading to the formation of the WUA (John Hirschbeck, one of the dissenters from
the mass resignations, became a key mover in founding the WUA)—one of his arguments
was that the umps “want to feel good about themselves and would rather not continue as
umpires if they have to continue under present circumstances. They feel, in the past seven
months or so, they have been humiliated and denigrated.”

The humiliation and denigration ranged from the Hallion suspension to baseball government’s
bid to exercise oversight regarding umpire performances. The horror: an employer asking
for employee oversight. (Phillips sneered back that it was just another exercise of Big Brother.)
Then-commissioner’s office executive Sandy Alderson said, pointedly enough, “I got worried
when I found out players were more concerned with who was umpiring the next day than
they were about who was pitching.”

Nobody disputes that high-salaried professional athletes are responsible for behaving, well,
professionally. The flip side to that record (yes I just betrayed my age) is that umpires,
who are established more or less as baseball’s on-field judicial branch (Phillips once equated
umpires to federal judges—on behalf of their having life tenure and immunity from critique)
are responsible for behaving like the grownups in the room.

West wasn’t exactly the grownup in the room three years ago, when he shoved Jonathan
Papelbon, then a Phillies reliever, after Papelbon gave the Philadelphia boo birds a grab of
his crotch at the end of a hard inning. West ejected Papelbon appropriately enough, but he
got only one game’s suspension for grabbing Papelbon and Papelbon got eight games off.
If it had been Papelbon grabbing West and getting only one unpaid game off, the umpires
would have had cows over it.

Let’s not forget, too, that for what seemed ages you could pick up your newspaper or flip
on the broadcast news or hit the Internet and learn more and faster of a player’s discipline
over an argument with an umpire, but almost never, never mind slower, of whether an
umpire was disciplined for instigating an incident with a player. Hallion vs. Reed, West vs.
Papelbon, and West vs. Beltre continue to be exceptions.

Players aren’t a hundred percent innocent, but neither do they have the field authority to
exercise correction if an umpire blows a call. They have only their easily-enough-exercised
verbal skills. (A.J. Pierzynski, then a White Sox catcher, to plate umpire Quinn Woolcott:
“Give me a new ball, one you can see.” Yes, Pierzynski was ejected.) Most umpires let the
players and managers blow off their steam so long as it doesn’t devolve to coarse obscenities.
It was once said the main reason American League umpires took more crap from Yogi Berra
than anyone else was that the Hall of Famer didn’t use profane language.

The best news about the WUA’s white-wristband protest: It showed the best side of their
presumed maturity and, while they were at it, though few may have seen it this way at the
time, they showed the nation you can air your grievances—whatever their merits—with
effect and without starting a riot. But they protested Kinsler speaking on the public record
against one umpire’s performance without seeming to think, even once, that there was
something amiss about Kinsler being fined five figures for it.

You understand their protest when West was suspended over his Beltre barb, and you
wouldn’t have wanted to be in their house if West had been fined ten large for it. But you
bear in mind that umpires are and must be presumed impartial. Even the slightest
appearance of impartiality poses possible consequences more grave in a baseball game
than the slightest barb from a player toward an umpire who makes a questionable call.

Let’s accept for argument’s sake the conceit, accepted by some umpires and their one-
time union chief, that umpires are baseball’s version of federal judges. Allowing that,
isn’t there something very troubling about a player being punished over that for which
the lowliest American citizen can’t be punished?
-----------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@Wingnut
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@DCPatriot
@Bigun
@Jazzhead
@dfwgator
@Cyber Liberty
@TomSea
@Freya

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Methinks thou didst not protest enough
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:45:27 pm »
If I was advising the members of the WUA I would tell them to shut their pie holes and be glad they have the jobs they have! 

You don't have to look very hard to see that they ain't all that good at what they do!  No further than the guy calling balls and strikes in last nights Astros/Nationals game for instance.  I don't mind, in fact I like, giving the pitcher the black around the plate but 6" either side is a tad to far IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:46:48 pm »
Meanwhile C. B. Bucknor goes on and on....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:48:31 pm »
If I was advising the members of the WUA I would tell them to shut their pie holes and be glad they have the jobs they have! 

You don't have to look very hard to see that they ain't all that good at what they do!  No further than the guy calling balls and strikes in last nights Astros/Nationals game for instance.  I don't mind, in fact I like, giving the pitcher the black around the plate but 6" either side is a tad to far IMHO!

I think all that has to do with why they've been chipping away at the umps, with call challenges and automating ball/strike calls.  I forget what the machine is called.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 07:54:06 pm »
I think all that has to do with why they've been chipping away at the umps, with call challenges and automating ball/strike calls.  I forget what the machine is called.
You're thinking of the former QuesTec machine that Curt Schilling took a bat to about ten years ago
or so.

The "machine" is now called instant replay. For which the umps had no one to blame but themselves.
I thought it was very telling that one of the more outspoken proponents of replay turned out to be
. . . drumroll, please . . . Don Denkinger, whose blown out call in the bottom of the ninth of Game
Six, 1985 World Series, made him a pariah in St. Louis for decades.

And it's the umps who do do their jobs honestly and competently who get hurt by the careless
umps.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:57:22 pm »

I frankly enjoyed the game we played back in the 60's and 70's much more than I do today!  The Astros sucked me back in this year but prior to that I had pretty much cut Pro baseball loose since the little premadonas went on strike.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:59:37 pm »
I like Umps.  Till they can train chimps or robot to call balls and strikes with better accuracy I say we keep em around for entertainment purposes.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:03:17 pm »
I like Umps.  Till they can train chimps or robot to call balls and strikes with better accuracy I say we keep em around for entertainment purposes.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:05:33 pm »

And it's the umps who do do their jobs honestly and competently who get hurt by the careless
umps.

And that has been true from day number uno!  Nothing new about it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 08:12:27 pm »
I frankly enjoyed the game we played back in the 60's and 70's much more than I do today!  The Astros sucked me back in this year but prior to that I had pretty much cut Pro baseball loose since the little premadonas went on strike.
The little prima donnas went on strike because the owners, in essence, tried to force the players
to stop them before they overspent, misspent, or mal-spent yet again. The players had said
an emphatic no way to any ideas of salary caps; the owners pushed for it regardless, and
as much as admitted (with a few exceptions, including then-Rockies owner Jerry McMorris, who
worked his tail off to try convincing his fellows how dumb they were being and got rebuffed
for his efforts) they were pushing for a players' strike.

And what happened when the strike got settled? The owners exposed themselves once and
for all . . . thanks to the number-one hawk among the owners, Jerry Reinsdorf. He was the
owner preaching the hardest line before the strike, and when he signed Albert Belle right
after the strike ended in early 1995, he exposed himself and his fellow strike-pushers for
the hypocrites they were and the players knew them to be.

He wanted to force a strike and he wanted to cancel a World Series, just
to break the players' backs. He got his way in '94 and put the game on a respi-
rator. Yet the second the thing was settled, who was there backing up the Brinks
truck to Albert Belle's house? Reinsdorf gave him so much money it bent the
whole salary structure out of whack. He needed a big-name draw. He didn't
want his division rivals, the Indians, to keep Belle. He wanted what he wanted
and screw the rest of it . . .

. . . The top [annual] salary at the time was $8 million. Reinsdorf skipped
right past nine and ten and went straight to $11 million a year! That was the
biggest fast-forward in the history of the salary spiral.

---Whitey Herzog, from You're Missin' a Great Game.

Meanwhile, allow me to remind one and all that there's one team sport that remains
without a salary cap but has had more different world champions since the
advent of baseball's free agency than all the team sports that do have
salary caps. Hint: The Chicago Cubs won its most recent world championship.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 08:14:01 pm »
I might agree if they were genuinely entertaining.

Baseball's powers that be are usually no more thrilled with entertaining umps than they sometimes
are with entertaining players. Just ask the late Ron Luciano. ;)

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:18:00 pm »
Another great article, @EasyAce

Loved this quote:
Then-commissioner’s office executive Sandy Alderson said, pointedly enough, “I got worried when I found out players were more concerned with who was umpiring the next day than they were about who was pitching.”

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 08:21:02 pm »
Another great article, @EasyAce

Loved this quote:
@Polly Ticks
So did a lot of other people in baseball when Alderson said it. That was at a time when the strike zone
in particular was a sore issue, because of umpires calling their own strike zones rather than the rule
book's strike zone. (You may remember it being said at the time about pitchers trying to throw strikes
with moving zones that were no bigger than a postage stamp.) It's still an issue even now, but in the
1990s it was as chronic as a game was long.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 08:21:20 pm »
The little prima donnas went on strike because the owners, in essence, tried to force the players
to stop them before they overspent, misspent, or mal-spent yet again. The players had said
an emphatic no way to any ideas of salary caps; the owners pushed for it regardless, and
as much as admitted (with a few exceptions, including then-Rockies owner Jerry McMorris, who
worked his tail off to try convincing his fellows how dumb they were being and got rebuffed
for his efforts) they were pushing for a players' strike.

And what happened when the strike got settled? The owners exposed themselves once and
for all . . . thanks to the number-one hawk among the owners, Jerry Reinsdorf. He was the
owner preaching the hardest line before the strike, and when he signed Albert Belle right
after the strike ended in early 1995, he exposed himself and his fellow strike-pushers for
the hypocrites they were and the players knew them to be.

Meanwhile, allow me to remind one and all that there's one team sport that remains
without a salary cap but has had more different world champions since the
advent of baseball's free agency than all the team sports that do have
salary caps. Hint: The Chicago Cubs won its most recent world championship.

Money, league expansions, players unions,  umpires unions, owners, instant replays, juiced balls, and political correctness have ruined a game I once loved!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 08:49:57 pm »
Money, league expansions, players unions,  umpires unions, owners, instant replays, juiced balls, and political correctness have ruined a game I once loved!
1) The players' union was solidified at first over disputes involving player pensions; that was the
reason a committe of four---Hall of Famers Robin Roberts and Jim Bunning plus pitcher Bob
Friend and outfielder Harvey Kuenn---made the search that brought them Marvin Miller at the
end of 1966.

2) The original umpires' union formed over an issue similar to the players' original issue,
plus better pay since the umps were almost as underpaid at the time as the players were.
(Baseball's average salary at that time, the early 1970s, was lower than that of other
team sports.)

3) The players asked nothing more than that the original language of the reserve clause---
one contracted season, a team option for one additional season, and then the right
to negotiate their services on an open market the way any and every other American
worker from the most obscure guy on the dock to the most powerful guy in the head
office enjoyed---be enforced to its letter. Had the owners not abused the clause in near-
perpetuity (and, for that matter, gone for salary arbitration way sooner than they finally
did), there might never have had to be a Messersmith-McNally case to get the clause
neutralised and usher in free agency.

4) The players had only half a clue of what an honest, free market might bring them
until Catfish Hunter became a free agent after 1974 . . . when A's owner Charlie
Finley reneged on contracted-for insurance payments to Hunter, who took it to an
arbitrator, won, and became the subject of a bidding war in which he ended up taking
the third highest dollar amount he was offered, believe it or not. (He asked for,
and got, salary, deferred money, guaranteed annuities for the education of his children,
and guaranteed insurance money. The Yankees' total dollars were the third highest
he was offered---the Padres offered more money but not in terms of the conditions
Hunter wanted---and he became a Yankee.)

4) Andy Messersmith pitched 1975 without a contract, essentially playing out the written
team option, after contract talks broke down over a personal issue then-Dodgers GM
Al Campanis injected into their talks, enraging Messersmith enough to demand a no-
trade clause and to pitch without a contract when Dodger president Peter O'Malley
offered him the moon's worth of money but no such clause. (Dave McNally---who planned
to retire, but who still steamed over the Expos reneging on an agreement involving
part of his final salary---signed onto the case in the event Messersmith changed his
mind with the Dodgers offering more and more money as he pitched on.) When among
other things Twins owner Calvin Griffith admitted in a newspaper interview the actual,
proper interpretation of the reserve clause and exposed without meaning to how it had
been misapplied for all those decades, Messersmith won.

(Said Ted Simmons: Curt Flood stood up for us. Jim Hunter showed us what was out
there. Andy showed us the way.
)

5) How come juiced balls, actual or alleged, didn't destroy the game in 1920, when
the tighter-wound ball plus the new rule about clean balls being required in play
continuously (that was in the wake of the tragic Ray Chapman incident), when the
long ball became supreme (mostly at the end of Babe Ruth's bat)?

6) What's so terrible about instant replay if it means---especially during championship
rounds---getting it right? (If they'd had instant replay long before it finally came
around, Tommie Agee would have been out at the plate, Ed Armbrister would have been
called out for interference, Jorge Orta would have been out at first base, and Jeffrey Maier
wouldn't have been the MVP---that's a joke, son---of the 1996 American League Championship
Series.)

7) In one way, you could say that the owners refusing to listen to Kenesaw Mountain
Landis the one time he made any sense prevented baseball from getting sensible
about player compensation decades before it turned the game upside down:

When Hall of Famer Earl Averill was sold to the Cleveland Indians out of the Pacific
Coast League, Averill demanded a piece of the sale price. The owners laughed, but
Landis said on the record he thought Averill had a point. Ultimately, Averill and
the Indians negotiated a kind of bonus for him and he joined them to begin his
major league career. Had Averill been given the percentage of the sale price he'd
first demanded, it might well have saved the owners a truckload of down-the-road-
apiece issues. (When Bowie Kuhn outlawed player sales in the wake of Charlie
Finley's attempted Oakland A's fire sale, it was a big cripple upon baseball as
the free agency era began, since not even the players argued the owners didn't
have certain rights regarding player development, and you may remember that
even the players didn't seek one-and-done free agency right out of the chute,
they acknowledged the teams that first signed them had certain time rights and
kept to them.)

8) Name one fan who has ever gone to a major league baseball game to see
the team's owners or the umpires. (Yankee fans in the 1980s going as much
to protest the worst of George Steinbrenner's act---such as the Banner Day
parade participant garbed like a monk and carry a scepter off which hung
a sign saying FORGIVE HIM, FATHER, FOR HE KNOWS NOT WHAT HE DOES
---were the exception.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:55:49 pm by EasyAce »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 08:54:13 pm »

Hernandez is one of the worst umps around. I kinda enjoy him getting all of this negative attention.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 08:54:17 pm »
6) What's so terrible about instant replay if it means---especially during championship
rounds---getting it right? (If they'd had instant replay long before it finally came
around, Tommie Agee would have been out at the plate, Ed Armbrister would have been
called out for interference, Jorge Orta would have been out at first place, and Jeffrey Maier
wouldn't have been the MVP---that's a joke, son---of the 1996 American League Championship
Series.)

I like the instant replay.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56:29 pm »

@Polly Ticks

It's our little secret!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 08:57:26 pm »
Hernandez is one of the worst umps around. I kinda enjoy him getting all of this negative attention.
He tends to get 20 percent ratings on umpire performance reviews, from what I've read. The
good news is that he could be worse---he could be C.B. Bucknor. ;)

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 08:59:16 pm »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 09:03:19 pm »
He tends to get 20 percent ratings on umpire performance reviews, from what I've read. The
good news is that he could be worse---he could be C.B. Bucknor. ;)

True Bucknor's bad and has been for a long time. One wonders how bad a guy has to get before the league says bye bye.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 09:15:54 pm »

I didn't think I would at first, but it's grown on me.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 09:32:07 pm »
True Bucknor's bad and has been for a long time. One wonders how bad a guy has to get before the league says bye bye.
I'm not sure, but in 2013 Bleacher Report determined MLB's five worst umps to be,
from one through five,

Angel Hernandez
C.B. Bucknor
Joe West
Marty Foster (He once called strike three on Ben Zobrist, then with the Rays, enabling then-Texas
closer Joe Nathan's 300th career save . . . but even Nathan admitted he wouldn't have called the
off-the-zone pitch a strike.)
Bob Davidson (Who was cited in a 2011 Sports Illustrated players' poll as the fourth-worst ump
in the business.)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 09:40:55 pm »
I'm not sure, but in 2013 Bleacher Report determined MLB's five worst umps to be,
from one through five,

Angel Hernandez
C.B. Bucknor
Joe West
Marty Foster (He once called strike three on Ben Zobrist, then with the Rays, enabling then-Texas
closer Joe Nathan's 300th career save . . . but even Nathan admitted he wouldn't have called the
off-the-zone pitch a strike.)
Bob Davidson (Who was cited in a 2011 Sports Illustrated players' poll as the fourth-worst ump
in the business.)

The thing I like about that is, like most baseball stats, it can be measured objectively.  I took a side trip reading this thread (looking for a spelling), and the Wikipedia entry for Bucknor was a fun read.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 09:42:33 pm »
I didn't think I would at first, but it's grown on me.
@Cyber Liberty
I'll give you the name of a baseball legend who was on board with instant replay since before
it was finally put into place:

Vin Scully.

I wrote this about it in 2012:

Replay's Ally-Vin Scully
8 August 2012

You can say the name alone and it becomes a nine-letter synonym for greatness. But it’s always nice to
be handed fresh reminders as to why Vin Scully’s name became that synonym in the first place. Monday
night, for example.

This reminder came down during the seventh inning, with freshly minted Dodger Shane Victorino at the
plate. Just about everyone since has been buzzing about everything Scully said for the at-bat, the play,
the argument, and the ejection, except two things he managed to tuck in, one in the middle, and one
after the meat of it was digested.

What Scully did was remove major further obstruction to those who argue in favour of expanding official
replay on tight calls other than hair’s breadth home runs or borderline foul balls.

And this isn’t just another analyst or spoilsport angling to remove, spare us, the “human factor” from a
game in which the need to get things right has gone from acute to critical mass only too often. This is
baseball’s greatest broadcaster, a man called a national treasure often enough for it to become a cliche,
making the argument.

Here was that we just saw, as Scully himself called it. It only began with Victorino lofting a soft rising liner
to center that Colorado outfielder Dexter Fowler had to catch on the run, and on the shoestrings, more or
less. Or, did he?

All right, three and two . . . There goes [Dodger baserunner A.J.] Ellis, there goes the
ball to center field, and a great try catch—yes, catch . . . The second base umpire
could not go out, because Ellis was running, and it was the first base, right field line
[umpire Mike Esterbrook] ran down to make the catch . . . we had to wait because
there was no sign, but you see he did catch it.

So far, so good, even if on the first of two television replays you could make a call that the ball hit the web
of Fowler’s glove just a hair’s nanosecond after hitting the center field grass. Onward Scully goes:

No trap. So it was a good call by Mike Esterbrook. [Dodger manager] Don
Mattingly is gonna argue . . .

At this point, the camera is showing another angle, and a slow-motion one at that, from which you might
see a hair more clearly that Fowler could have trapped the ball. Scully begins to speak again just as the
home viewer sees Fowler finish his knee slide while raising his glove with the ball secure in the web.

Now, Esterbrook is gonna go over and talk to the other umpires. We couldn’t
call it, so I just looked at Esterbrook, and he finally called it. Victorino is out on
a fly ball, but the umpires are gonna huddle. That’s a good thing, no matter what,
you want to make sure you get it right . . . okay . . .

Emphasis mine.

Here, one of the umps began walking toward the Colorado dugout and motioning to Rockies manager (and
former Dodger manager) Jim Tracy. The Dodger Stadium crowd hasn’t let up in its gleeful racket, ramping
it up with what follows at once. “Uh, oh,” Scully purrs. “Uuhh, oh!” Tracy steps up from the dugout and
isn’t going to like what he’s about to be told, as Scully continues.

The meeting looks like they’re gonna call it a trap, and Jim Tracy . . . “He caught the
ball,” Jim said. “He caught—the ball. He caught the—blinkin’ ball. He caught the darn
ball.”

Seconds later, with the crowd noise surging a little further, Tracy removed his cap with both hands and
thrust it to the ground.

Oh! oh, you’re gone! He’s gone . . . “That—is—blinkin’ fertilizer” . . . I’m doing the
best to translate . . . “You’ve gotta be blinkin’ me! The ball, he caught the ball! No way
. . . no blinkin’ way . . . no bloody way . . . “

Tracy by now is arguing for whatever he’s blinking worth, since he’s been tossed, about which Scully dryly
remarks, “Jim’s gone, so he’s spending house money now.”

That’s where the widely-circulated video clip ends. The bad news is that just about everyone else is having
their fun with Scully’s blinking bid to translate Tracy’s tirade. Without the like of Big League Stew to cite it,
you almost wouldn’t know Scully also stuck a genteel barb into the craw of those whose arguments against
replay include not just the “human factor” but, almost as often, that replay will only delay further games
that (allegedly) take “too long” to play as it is.

We have all this technology and they don’t use it because they say it
would delay the game. Well, what was that we just saw?

Emphasis mine. Game, set, and match. All arguments against replay should be dismissed from now on as
fertlizer. Blinking or otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:42:58 pm by EasyAce »