Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 102641 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #1175 on: September 05, 2017, 12:43:08 pm »
I've visited the Dallas/Ft. Worth area years ago and like the area.  Any areas you would recommend?  Looking for something a little more remote and definitely not along the southern border. Any suggestions would be welcome.
This seems weird with the massive flooding that happened in Texas, but Texas will likely have big problems of water supply in years to come.  I am from Austin and there and the Hill County is really pretty, but water resources is slim.  Just not much rain water takes place.    The DFW area does have a number of lakes supplying water, but with increased growth, even that may not be enough in years to come.

I wound up retiring in an area of Texas around Tyler which does have more rain, so water problems are more limited.  The further East one goes and South, the more the rain.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idiot

« Reply #1176 on: September 05, 2017, 02:40:12 pm »
This seems weird with the massive flooding that happened in Texas, but Texas will likely have big problems of water supply in years to come.  I am from Austin and there and the Hill County is really pretty, but water resources is slim.  Just not much rain water takes place.    The DFW area does have a number of lakes supplying water, but with increased growth, even that may not be enough in years to come.

I wound up retiring in an area of Texas around Tyler which does have more rain, so water problems are more limited. The further East one goes and South, the more the rain.

I'm in West Texas....  What is this thing called "rain" of which you speak?  :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1177 on: September 05, 2017, 02:56:41 pm »
Garage is a little lower with more water.

Ugh. I hope you got all the power tools up off the floor. You're gonna need em. I Sure feel sorry for ya man. That's a mess. And not a little one.

Offline thackney

« Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2017, 04:43:31 pm »
Ugh. I hope you got all the power tools up off the floor. You're gonna need em. I Sure feel sorry for ya man. That's a mess. And not a little one.

Nope, didn't even touch the garage.  The last few hours were in panic mode, making sure what we got out with while we still could get the trucks out.

Last night I had my brother FedEx me utility knives and gloves from Ohio.  I searched 4 stores in our immediate area.  I hope to have a tear out party on Saturday, if the water drop cooperates.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1179 on: September 05, 2017, 05:17:16 pm »
Nope, didn't even touch the garage.  The last few hours were in panic mode, making sure what we got out with while we still could get the trucks out.

Last night I had my brother FedEx me utility knives and gloves from Ohio.  I searched 4 stores in our immediate area.  I hope to have a tear out party on Saturday, if the water drop cooperates.

I dunno what I'd do with my tools sunk. Hard put to even start without a sawbox full of tools in the truck...

Better take a ride up to OK and find a home depot while you have the time. I'll bet you'll be hard pressed to find a skill saw or a screwdriver for a long time locally...

Can you just cut the lower 4 ft off the walls, or is it a total gut?
I'll bet driers are like hens teeth too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #1180 on: September 05, 2017, 06:23:21 pm »
I dunno what I'd do with my tools sunk. Hard put to even start without a sawbox full of tools in the truck...

Better take a ride up to OK and find a home depot while you have the time. I'll bet you'll be hard pressed to find a skill saw or a screwdriver for a long time locally...

Can you just cut the lower 4 ft off the walls, or is it a total gut?
I'll bet driers are like hens teeth too.

We will take 3~4 feet of sheetrock / paneling off the walls.

Offline anubias

« Reply #1181 on: September 05, 2017, 06:39:17 pm »
@libertybele
I lived in Austin but it is so liberal and crowded that I couldn't take it anymore. I live in a tiny little town, Medina, in the Hill Country. It is beautiful. We have 13 acres in a "subdivision" that used to be a cattle ranch years ago. There are about 12 homeowners. We have a vet, a hardware store, post office, and a couple of cafes. Sidewalks roll up about 5PM.

It is about 15 miles to Bandera, the Cowboy Capital of Texas, 60 miles from San Antonio (where the growth is insane), and 25 miles from Kerrville which is known for a folk festival and has a lot of retirees. I'm rather partial to the area. ^-^

Don't forget the Apple Store. :)

Offline anubias

« Reply #1182 on: September 05, 2017, 06:42:34 pm »
Everyone, thank you again for the thoughts and prayers.  We need them.

You have them @thackney   I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #1183 on: September 05, 2017, 07:00:31 pm »
You have them @thackney   I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

Ditto that.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #1184 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:17 pm »
I'm in West Texas....  What is this thing called "rain" of which you speak?  :laugh:
It's that four letter word they have down Houston ways.

I was born in Big Spring, you know the place that used to have a spring?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline anubias

« Reply #1185 on: September 05, 2017, 07:52:30 pm »
It's that four letter word they have down Houston ways.

I was born in Big Spring, you know the place that used to have a spring?

Ozarka?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1186 on: September 06, 2017, 11:04:12 pm »
@libertybele
I lived in Austin but it is so liberal and crowded that I couldn't take it anymore. I live in a tiny little town, Medina, in the Hill Country. It is beautiful. We have 13 acres in a "subdivision" that used to be a cattle ranch years ago. There are about 12 homeowners. We have a vet, a hardware store, post office, and a couple of cafes. Sidewalks roll up about 5PM.

It is about 15 miles to Bandera, the Cowboy Capital of Texas, 60 miles from San Antonio (where the growth is insane), and 25 miles from Kerrville which is known for a folk festival and has a lot of retirees. I'm rather partial to the area. ^-^

Thanks for the information  and certainly gives me some place to research.  Your area sounds wonderful.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1187 on: September 06, 2017, 11:05:47 pm »
Ditto that.

...still praying for those affected by Harvey. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1188 on: September 07, 2017, 12:20:23 am »
...still praying for those affected by Harvey.

As am I. And for those in the path of Irma.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1189 on: September 08, 2017, 09:09:35 pm »
@thackney

When you have time, please give us a status report. Hope you are staying strong.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1190 on: September 08, 2017, 09:18:58 pm »
As am I. And for those in the path of Irma.

Amen!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline thackney

« Reply #1191 on: September 08, 2017, 10:05:48 pm »
@thackney

When you have time, please give us a status report. Hope you are staying strong.

On the way to get a shower.  Been digging out wet carpet, insulation and sheetrock,. A loooooonnnnngggg way to go.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1192 on: September 09, 2017, 01:15:46 am »
On the way to get a shower.  Been digging out wet carpet, insulation and sheetrock,. A loooooonnnnngggg way to go.

Best wishes for you and yours.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1193 on: September 09, 2017, 01:25:59 am »

This too shall pass, friend. Hope it moves along with all haste and in good order.

Offline thackney

« Reply #1194 on: September 11, 2017, 11:56:11 am »
Some friends and a large group from my church made such a difference this weekend.  They got out all the wet carpet and nearly all the sheetrock. 

We have a large amount of built-in cabinets.  I finally lined up a contractor to finish the tear-out, including a fireplace, extended brick hearth, tub, tile, shower.  They likely will save the kitchen granite but no promises.

Once we get that out, the heavy-duty mold prevention treatment, we can likely start living upstairs as the reconstruction begins.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1195 on: September 11, 2017, 12:24:22 pm »
Some friends and a large group from my church made such a difference this weekend.  They got out all the wet carpet and nearly all the sheetrock. 

We have a large amount of built-in cabinets.  I finally lined up a contractor to finish the tear-out, including a fireplace, extended brick hearth, tub, tile, shower.  They likely will save the kitchen granite but no promises.

Once we get that out, the heavy-duty mold prevention treatment, we can likely start living upstairs as the reconstruction begins.

Sounds like some serious progress.  Hopefully that lifts your spirits a bit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1196 on: September 11, 2017, 12:28:14 pm »

It always gets worse before it gets better, but it sounds like y'all made substantial progress.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #1197 on: September 11, 2017, 01:00:13 pm »
Sounds like some serious progress.  Hopefully that lifts your spirits a bit.

lifted me a lot.  Friday, with the help of a friend, we cleared the entryway and the dining room.  I was devastated.  We had worked our butts off and was just watching the mold grow everywhere else.  Barely a dent in the work to be done and soooo much water still saturating so many places.

Saturday, exhausted, but the tide had turned.  And with knowledge the rest would be completed this week.  We had built-in cabinets in 8 different rooms.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1198 on: September 11, 2017, 01:05:44 pm »
lifted me a lot.  Friday, with the help of a friend, we cleared the entryway and the dining room.  I was devastated.  We had worked our butts off and was just watching the mold grow everywhere else.  Barely a dent in the work to be done and soooo much water still saturating so many places.

Saturday, exhausted, but the tide had turned.  And with knowledge the rest would be completed this week.  We had built-in cabinets in 8 different rooms.

Good news my friend!  Wish I could have been there to help but as it is that is not possible.

Sounds like a corner has been turned.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #1199 on: September 11, 2017, 01:43:15 pm »

So glad you had a good group of people to help you out with the initial grunt work.  I'm sure it will be a comfort when you are finally able to move back home, even if the lower floor is still under construction.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra