Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 103155 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #1150 on: September 04, 2017, 12:45:15 am »
Corpus Christi looks good.  Lots of billboards blown out.  A scattering of privacy fences blown over.  A few collapsed buildings or toppled awnings.  But otherwise OK.

Ingleside is a different matter.  It got slammed hard.  Uprooted trees all over the place.  Telephone poles leaning awkwardly against buildings.  Roofs blown off houses.  Power lines down everywhere.

But the most noticeable thing of all is the spirit of Texans coming together and dealing with the situation.  No one complaining.  No one whining about losing everything.  No one asking when the government is going to do something.  Instead, a society of people waking up to the day, seeing challenges, and tackling those challenges.  People with chainsaws going from yard to yard trimming limbs and branches and piling them up by the street, drivers yielding the right of way at intersections missing their traffic lights and signs, and everyone giving way to power crews working the daylight hours through the holiday weekend to restore power to everyone.

And everywhere you see groups assembling on roadsides to give away free BBQ, food, supplies, clothes, or anything else people could need.

I am strongly considering moving here and taking a job at one of the local chemical plants.  Texas Exceptionalism rocks!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1151 on: September 04, 2017, 12:58:20 am »
Corpus Christi looks good.  Lots of billboards blown out.  A scattering of privacy fences blown over.  A few collapsed buildings or toppled awnings.  But otherwise OK.

Ingleside is a different matter.  It got slammed hard.  Uprooted trees all over the place.  Telephone poles leaning awkwardly against buildings.  Roofs blown off houses.  Power lines down everywhere.

But the most noticeable thing of all is the spirit of Texans coming together and dealing with the situation.  No one complaining.  No one whining about losing everything.  No one asking when the government is going to do something.  Instead, a society of people waking up to the day, seeing challenges, and tackling those challenges.  People with chainsaws going from yard to yard trimming limbs and branches and piling them up by the street, drivers yielding the right of way at intersections missing their traffic lights and signs, and everyone giving way to power crews working the daylight hours through the holiday weekend to restore power to everyone.

And everywhere you see groups assembling on roadsides to give away free BBQ, food, supplies, clothes, or anything else people could need.

I am strongly considering moving here and taking a job at one of the local chemical plants.  Texas Exceptionalism rocks!

Great report!  Thanks, Hoodat.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #1152 on: September 04, 2017, 04:06:39 am »

Thanks for the report.  I've tossed around the idea of moving to TX as well.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1153 on: September 04, 2017, 04:31:04 am »
Thanks for the report.  I've tossed around the idea of moving to TX as well.

That's right. You're not from Texas. Texas wants you anyway. (For the Lyle Lovett fans.) C'mon down! Help us keep Texas red.  888high58888

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1154 on: September 04, 2017, 02:44:55 pm »
That's right. You're not from Texas. Texas wants you anyway. (For the Lyle Lovett fans.) C'mon down! Help us keep Texas red.  888high58888

We need all the good people we can get! I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could. Maybe it's a bumper 
sticker, but it's true.  :seeya:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #1155 on: September 04, 2017, 02:47:03 pm »

If my son gets a call to Texas when he graduates I may come down and join y'all   You are good people
God is still in control

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #1156 on: September 04, 2017, 07:11:08 pm »
We need all the good people we can get! I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could. Maybe it's a bumper 
sticker, but it's true.  :seeya:

I've visited the Dallas/Ft. Worth area years ago and like the area.  Any areas you would recommend?  Looking for something a little more remote and definitely not along the southern border. Any suggestions would be welcome.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:11:38 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1157 on: September 04, 2017, 07:12:30 pm »
I've visited the Dallas/Ft. Worth area years ago and like the area.  Any areas you would recommend?  Looking for something a little more remote and definitely not along the southern border. Any suggestions would be welcome.

What kind of climate and scenery do you like?

Offline thackney

« Reply #1158 on: September 04, 2017, 11:05:18 pm »
The uncertainty is over.  Still under mandatory evacuation but the began to allow residents in between 7am to 7pm.

16 inches inside the house, now down to 12".  Probably not until Friday until the water is lower than the slab foundation.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:05:44 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #1159 on: September 04, 2017, 11:10:26 pm »
@thackney  I hope you are able to save a lot of your belongings...looks like the tv is a goner though.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1160 on: September 04, 2017, 11:13:41 pm »
Wow, @thackney!

Looks horrible.  At least the books made it.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1161 on: September 04, 2017, 11:40:43 pm »
@thackney

That's a real shame.  How far did you have to boat in to get to your place?

Wingnut

« Reply #1162 on: September 04, 2017, 11:53:50 pm »
The uncertainty is over.  Still under mandatory evacuation but the began to allow residents in between 7am to 7pm.

16 inches inside the house, now down to 12".  Probably not until Friday until the water is lower than the slab foundation.

Well the good thing is you can finally get rid of that 90's  projection TV and upgrade to a flat panel,
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:54:25 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1163 on: September 04, 2017, 11:57:05 pm »
@thackney Sorry to hear that. Glad you could save what you did.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #1164 on: September 05, 2017, 12:02:31 am »
@thackney

That's a real shame.  How far did you have to boat in to get to your place?

The water is down far enough I could park in shallow water on the road by the house.

About 32 inches deep at the driveway.  Since the ditches are about 5 ft deep and 40 ft wide, you have to know where the drive is.

State troopers will not allow anyone in with a boat or high profile truck.  They don't want people visiting other properties and cannot patrol everyone. 

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1165 on: September 05, 2017, 12:42:53 am »
The water is down far enough I could park in shallow water on the road by the house.

About 32 inches deep at the driveway.  Since the ditches are about 5 ft deep and 40 ft wide, you have to know where the drive is.

State troopers will not allow anyone in with a boat or high profile truck.  They don't want people visiting other properties and cannot patrol everyone.

@thackney

Thanks for the update. Hope you can salvage the important things. God bless!

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1166 on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:27 am »

@libertybele
I lived in Austin but it is so liberal and crowded that I couldn't take it anymore. I live in a tiny little town, Medina, in the Hill Country. It is beautiful. We have 13 acres in a "subdivision" that used to be a cattle ranch years ago. There are about 12 homeowners. We have a vet, a hardware store, post office, and a couple of cafes. Sidewalks roll up about 5PM.

It is about 15 miles to Bandera, the Cowboy Capital of Texas, 60 miles from San Antonio (where the growth is insane), and 25 miles from Kerrville which is known for a folk festival and has a lot of retirees. I'm rather partial to the area. ^-^
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:50:00 am by austingirl »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1167 on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:30 am »
@thackney

To me it looks as though your foresight and planning really paid off.  Still a big mess and much to do but your thinking ahead minimized the losses greatly.  Or so it appears to me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #1168 on: September 05, 2017, 01:40:02 am »
@libertybele
I lived in Austin but it is so liberal and crowded that I couldn't take it anymore. I live in a tiny little town, Medina, in the Hill Country. It is beautiful. We have 13 acres in a "subdivision" that used to be a cattle ranch years ago. There are about 12 homeowners. We have a vet, a hardware store, post office, and a couple of cafes. Sidewalks roll up about 5PM.

It is about 15 miles to Bandera, the Cowboy Capital of Texas, 60 miles from San Antonio (where the growth is insane), and 25 miles from Kerrville which is known for a folk festival and has a lot of retirees. I'm rather partial to the area. ^-^
And it is far outside of Bexar County and San Antonio's ridiculous taxes too. Less than 2 months to go until time to head south for the Winter on the west side of SA.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Idiot

« Reply #1169 on: September 05, 2017, 01:42:18 am »

@thackney I am so sorry about the damage to your home.  May God grant you strength as you start to work on your house.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1170 on: September 05, 2017, 01:51:00 am »
And it is far outside of Bexar County and San Antonio's ridiculous taxes too. Less than 2 months to go until time to head south for the Winter on the west side of SA.

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1171 on: September 05, 2017, 03:55:35 am »

@thackney

Unnngh. That looks like SO much work. I don't think most people have any idea how much work that is...

But, glad you saw it coming...
Hows the shop? you'll need your tools before just about everything else...

Offline thackney

« Reply #1172 on: September 05, 2017, 11:48:51 am »
@thackney

Unnngh. That looks like SO much work. I don't think most people have any idea how much work that is...

But, glad you saw it coming...
Hows the shop? you'll need your tools before just about everything else...

Garage is a little lower with more water.

Offline thackney

« Reply #1173 on: September 05, 2017, 11:57:32 am »
Everyone, thank you again for the thoughts and prayers.  We need them.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #1174 on: September 05, 2017, 12:37:43 pm »

watch for snakes opening those doors and drawers.  You do not need more surprises and to be visiting hospitals
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington