Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 103050 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #1000 on: August 30, 2017, 01:20:34 pm »
Indeed it is and this area is going to be in recovery mode for guite some time. Thankfully we suffered no real damage here.
I am glad you are safe, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1001 on: August 30, 2017, 01:24:11 pm »
I am glad you are safe, too.

Thank you!  I'm hoping to be able to get off my hill today and see what I can do to help my neighbors.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1002 on: August 30, 2017, 01:33:26 pm »
Thank you!  I'm hoping to be able to get off my hill today and see what I can do to help my neighbors.
:patriot:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #1003 on: August 30, 2017, 01:53:59 pm »
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak

IF YOU LIVE IN TEXAS:

Bob, the geologist who retired from Exxon/Mobil, says since all the oil refinery plants along the Texas coast that process gasoline are shut down, the gasoline being used now is our reserves. Bob knows where all the reserves are in Texas and Louisiana.

In Texas, trucks deliver gasoline to gas stations.  Refineries are shut down so no trucks can get gasoline from there to your area; they are having to get it from our reserves.  As of yesterday, a gallon of gasoline was 30 cents higher than it was the day before yesterday.  in other words, gasoline is less available than it was before this disaster.  You might as well fill up now before the prices go any higher, which could be today.  Bob got gasoline yesterday because he said it will get scarce due to refineries not able to function.

This disaster affects all of us in Texas.

It's already affecting us here in Kentucky too...gas has jumped .30 cents a gallon since Sunday.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1004 on: August 30, 2017, 02:13:31 pm »
Bit of humor out of the flood zone this morning.  Watching tv this morning and saw the replay of a rescue that happened somewhere last night.  There is a female reporter riding along in the boat and the rescue includes an 80 year old man and several companions frm a nursing home.   When the old guy gets seated in the boat he pulls out his flask, pours a shot and passes it to one of his buds.  This repeats several times and the female reporter comments about how touching it is to see him sharing his water with the others.  The salty coon ass skipper politly tells her that he doesn't think that it's water they are drinking.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1005 on: August 30, 2017, 02:16:09 pm »
It's already affecting us here in Kentucky too...gas has jumped .30 cents a gallon since Sunday.

The rise in gas is pennies ... the rise that we're going to see in insurance premiums is dollars; like hundreds of dollars and I anticipate that you will start to see insurance companies pull out of TX like they have done in FL.  Premiums for flood insurance will rise dramatically.

So...we were thinking of selling our home before all this happened and  I hate to give up our property on the water ... but we're certainly not getting any younger and after Harvey pummeling TX and it appears that another storm is on its way; I now know we're making the right decision. 
Continued prayers for Trump's safety and that the Lord God Jesus Christ surrounds him with angels to protect him from all evil. 

May HE also have mercy on this country and stop the evil that keeps prevailing.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1006 on: August 30, 2017, 02:17:54 pm »
Bit of humor out of the flood zone this morning.  Watching tv this morning and saw the replay of a rescue that happened somewhere last night.  There is a female reporter riding along in the boat and the rescue includes an 80 year old man and several companions frm a nursing home.   When the old guy gets seated in the boat he pulls out his flask, pours a shot and passes it to one of his buds.  This repeats several times and the female reporter comments about how touching it is to see him sharing his water with the others.  The salty coon ass skipper politly tells her that he doesn't think that it's water they are drinking.

:silly:  Way too funny!  God Bless him!  If anybody deserves a drink it's those that are enduring the hell that Harvey doled out.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:18:25 pm by libertybele »
Continued prayers for Trump's safety and that the Lord God Jesus Christ surrounds him with angels to protect him from all evil. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #1007 on: August 30, 2017, 02:33:21 pm »
The rise in gas is pennies ... the rise that we're going to see in insurance premiums is dollars; like hundreds of dollars and I anticipate that you will start to see insurance companies pull out of TX like they have done in FL.  Premiums for flood insurance will rise dramatically.

So...we were thinking of selling our home before all this happened and  I hate to give up our property on the water ... but we're certainly not getting any younger and after Harvey pummeling TX and it appears that another storm is on its way; I now know we're making the right decision.

I seriously doubt you'll see insurance companies pull out of Texas.  If they haven't after some of the hurricane's and tornadoes we've had hit the state in the past...I don't see them doing it now.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1008 on: August 30, 2017, 02:36:43 pm »
So much for getting off my hill.  River between me and town is still far out of banks  and DPS on scene to make sure no one is dumb enough to try.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1009 on: August 30, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »
:silly:  Way too funny!  God Bless him!  If anybody deserves a drink it's those that are enduring the hell that Harvey doled out.

888high58888  if I'd been there I would have joined them!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1010 on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:02 pm »
I seriously doubt you'll see insurance companies pull out of Texas.  If they haven't after some of the hurricane's and tornadoes we've had hit the state in the past...I don't see them doing it now.
Why would they?
They will reassess the low lying area risks and raise rates some, but Harvey will be salesman of the year when this is over.
People well above 500 year flood plains will be seeking insurance after having been bit this time, and that will mean a far larger pool of insureds, some of which will be low risk in an actuarial sense.

It was an unprecedented set of circumstances (blocked by two high pressure systems) that stalled the storm on the coast where it could gather moisture and energy and dump that on land, without moving through.

Those who got hit hard this time will be seeking policies as well, so I expect that when things are more normal, there will be a bigger market for insurance than ever. 

C S Lewis

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1011 on: August 30, 2017, 02:46:01 pm »
This is so far from over and I mean just the flooding. Water continues to rise and more mandatory evacuations north of Houston.

Also evacuations in Beaumont and Port Arthur. Watching footage of flooded shelter in Port Arthur.

Good to see @thackney @Bigun @LadyLiberty @Elderberry checking in. Prayers for you and everyone affected.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #1012 on: August 30, 2017, 02:46:33 pm »
It's a real shame this has to be put out but...

Houston: Brace yourselves for scam artists. Use reputable, verifiable sources with references. Check the Better Business Bureau. Take pictures of the people you hire. Document everything. Hide your valuables. I'm sure some of y'all have more suggestions to add. Bottom line: be skeptical!! Be thorough!!

And if you leave stuff in your car, hide it in the trunk or under the seats. If people see a gym bag or anything remotely valuable, they will bust your window to grab it. Be smart.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1013 on: August 30, 2017, 02:51:42 pm »
It's a real shame this has to be put out but...
Bears repeating.

The area will be inundated by fly by night contractors who do crappy work, too. (Building materials will be at a premium as well).

Houston: Brace yourselves for scam artists. Use reputable, verifiable sources with references. Check the Better Business Bureau. Take pictures of the people you hire. Document everything. Hide your valuables. I'm sure some of y'all have more suggestions to add. Bottom line: be skeptical!! Be thorough!!

And if you leave stuff in your car, hide it in the trunk or under the seats. If people see a gym bag or anything remotely valuable, they will bust your window to grab it. Be smart.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1014 on: August 30, 2017, 02:59:03 pm »
Getting back to semi?-normal. My wife and son-in-law have made it back to work. Where my daughter works, they are having network problems, so they haven't put the call out to come in if you can. Where my son-in-law works, they wanted everyone to come in yesterday. Only the supervisor and one other came in. My daughter cringes every time she opens her work email.
She works in insurance, the commercial side. Only 2 claims so far for her.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:07:25 pm by Elderberry »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1015 on: August 30, 2017, 03:35:31 pm »
Praise the Lord!  Texas gospel singer's powerful voice lifts spirits in Houston hurricane shelter.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBQLiuGQvY

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1016 on: August 30, 2017, 03:53:12 pm »
Praise be!

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1017 on: August 30, 2017, 04:02:20 pm »
Because it's Texas, baby!

[attachment deleted by admin]

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1018 on: August 30, 2017, 04:14:13 pm »
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #1019 on: August 30, 2017, 04:35:24 pm »
@libertybele

You said, "The rise in gas is pennies ..."

The point of my post was there WON'T BE MUCH GASOLINE, and getting it to your gas station is "iffy", not that the price is going up.  If you can fill your car now while the station still has gasoline, do it.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1020 on: August 30, 2017, 04:48:48 pm »
@libertybele

The point of my post was there WON'T BE MUCH GASOLINE, and getting it to your gas station is "iffy", not that the price is going up.  If you can fill your car now while the station still has gasoline, do it.
It isn't unusual for the price to spike to unusually high levels in situations like this in the affected area ($5/gallon) which discourages people from purchasing gas they don't really need. This has been seen before, and while there was howling about price gouging, there remained some gas supply for running pumps and generators and the like.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #1021 on: August 30, 2017, 04:51:32 pm »
Overall, it will take a couple weeks of longer for the refineries which have shut down to re start, possibly longer depending on damage and how long it takes for the water to go down.
@Smokin Joe

Joe, you are wrong on this one.  I lived 15/20 miles from Texas City for 20 years and that is where the refineries are on the Galveston Bay.

The refineries are flooded out AND there are NO employees to go to work there.  The employees are in shelters with no home to go to.  There is no food in any store in that area as the food stores are flooded out and no one knows how long it will take to open even one store when it is rebuilt. There is no drinkable water in that area since water sources are contaminated. 

No gasoline is coming out of Texas for a long time.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1022 on: August 30, 2017, 04:58:25 pm »
@libertybele

Heard on the radio this morning, there are reports of gas stations in San Antonio that are completely out of gas.  Also reports of gas stations around Austin that have some grades of gas but are out of other grades (premium grade, mostly.)
Let it burn.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1023 on: August 30, 2017, 05:00:19 pm »
@Smokin Joe

@Victoria33

Joe, you are wrong on this one.  I lived 15/20 miles from Texas City for 20 years and that is where the refineries are on the Galveston Bay.

The refineries are flooded out AND there are NO employees to go to work there.  The employees are in shelters with no home to go to.  There is no food in any store in that area as the food stores are flooded out and no one knows how long it will take to open even one store when it is rebuilt. There is no drinkable water in that area since water sources are contaminated. 

I'm sorry to have to inform you that it is you who is wrong here.  There are many refineries in Texas other than the ONE (BP)at Texas city.  Gasoline is flowing out of Texas in copious quantities as we speak and more production capacity will be back on line very quickly.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:01:25 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1024 on: August 30, 2017, 05:03:57 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Thank you for correcting my time frame. I guess "or longer" was more accurate, but that is longer than I had thought. I figured the refiners would be pumping out and getting things back on line as soon as possible, but as you have pointed out there are serious complications for the workforce, too.  From the time they are ready to start up, it will take a week to get things up and running again, and that is after all is repaired and cleaned up and the crews are back on the job.

C S Lewis