Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 102487 times)

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #650 on: August 27, 2017, 11:41:08 pm »
I disagree.  They knew the storm was coming. The national guard was called in.  You start announcements to evacuate and you start sending in buses, school buses, whatever you may have available; you open up the expressway and roadways to go one way on a path out -- you take people to the closest area that is figured to be safe and you put them up in their shelters, hotels, arenas, schools, etc. It's been done in other parts of the country.  So instead of evacuating people he left people in harms way with no way to get out.  They are now stuck with rising water and additional rain fall for days.  Yes, no one knew it was going to be a Cat 4 with this much rain and a higher than expected storm surge, but when you have a Cat 3 coming at you, you don't just sit there and do nothing!  It boils down to they were absolutely unprepared - shame on them!

@libertybele, anyone who wanted to evacuate could have. I didn't even consider evacuating (due to my location), but if I had, I wouldn't have known which way to go since the storm was predicted to be a threat all the way from Central Texas to Louisiana. The coastal communities would have to be the first to leave. Galvestonians could only leave via one Interstate (I-45) because the other ways off the island were slow (ferry) or ill-advised because of where the storm was headed (San Luis Pass). Then you work inland from there. Hitchcock, Santa Fe, La Marque, Texas City, Dickinson, League City, Webster, Clear Lake, etc. Eventually you can let Houstonians evacuate. There simply wasn't enough time for such an evacuation. Perhaps if there had been a couple of weeks to corral the citizens, there may have been a way. I'm with Mayor Turner on this. I was ineligible to vote for him since I'm not in Harris County, but had I been eligible, I would not have. But he's right on this.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #651 on: August 27, 2017, 11:41:47 pm »
Can't get Montgomery County Emergency Website to load - says too much traffic.
Expecting 15-25 inches more rain by tomorrow when the next ring of storms come through.  Remember Montgomery County backs up to Harris county, Houston.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #652 on: August 27, 2017, 11:41:48 pm »
You say you have been thru several hurricanes. Then you should know that evacuations are only declared for the population living in areas affected by storm surge. This storm was not predicted to strike Houston so the surge in the local area was to be minimal. Houston is some miles from the gulf and storm surge only affects a small population, even with a direct strike. Evacuations are not to be taken lightly. Evacuations can also cause more deaths than shelters in place. Just look at the deaths that have taken place in prior evacuations. Homes flood even by tropical depressions. Mandatory Evacuation? Get Real!

Here in FL many of us live in flood zones so of course storm surge is always a concern.  However, the initial concern is always the strength (winds) of the hurricane itself and as a rule  the storm surge generally follows. Yep, Huston is miles inland, and I am certainly not an expert, but I find  it hard to believe that with the storm surge that was first predicted, they didn't have a clue that Huston could be in trouble. The forecasters have wind models and storm surge models and go through the various scenarios. Yes, mandatory evacuation -- I've seen it several times.  Does everyone comply?  Of course not.  Yes the evacuations are given ahead of time and we've evacuated a couple of times only to be relieved that a hurricane didn't hit or wasn't as strong as predicted.  I'd rather go through the headache and time of boarding up my home and heading out than being sorry I didn't leave and stuck in a home that has been demolished and having rising waters and no where to go.  No plan is perfect and hurricanes are absolutely unpredictable; but it is better to overestimate the strength and damage coming than under estimate it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:43:53 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #653 on: August 27, 2017, 11:53:49 pm »
Information you really didn't want to know:

Bob's father owned a funeral home in Penn.  Bob says caskets by themselves plus concrete or steel vaults under the ground around Houston are going to come up and float.  He has seen it happen before.  He says this much water staying on the ground will make a river under these "containers" and they are going to float up.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #654 on: August 27, 2017, 11:54:24 pm »
@libertybele, anyone who wanted to evacuate could have. I didn't even consider evacuating (due to my location), but if I had, I wouldn't have known which way to go since the storm was predicted to be a threat all the way from Central Texas to Louisiana. The coastal communities would have to be the first to leave. Galvestonians could only leave via one Interstate (I-45) because the other ways off the island were slow (ferry) or ill-advised because of where the storm was headed (San Luis Pass). Then you work inland from there. Hitchcock, Santa Fe, La Marque, Texas City, Dickinson, League City, Webster, Clear Lake, etc. Eventually you can let Houstonians evacuate. There simply wasn't enough time for such an evacuation. Perhaps if there had been a couple of weeks to corral the citizens, there may have been a way. I'm with Mayor Turner on this. I was ineligible to vote for him since I'm not in Harris County, but had I been eligible, I would not have. But he's right on this.

I don't know the time frame of the developing storm, but there have been times that we've packed up to evacuate only to unpack (usually within a week).  Obviously I don't live in TX and I apologize for faulting the mayor, but I can relate to what is going on and I feel absolutely sick for the people that are going through this.  Obviously from what you're telling me, nothing could have been done and that makes this even more of a tragedy.  Prayers to those in TX.  My next step is to find out ways I can help. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #655 on: August 27, 2017, 11:59:49 pm »
Here in FL many of us live in flood zones so of course storm surge is always a concern.  However, the initial concern is always the strength (winds) of the hurricane itself and as a rule  the storm surge generally follows. Yep, Huston is miles inland, and I am certainly not an expert, but I find  it hard to believe that with the storm surge that was first predicted, they didn't have a clue that Huston could be in trouble. The forecasters have wind models and storm surge models and go through the various scenarios. Yes, mandatory evacuation -- I've seen it several times.  Does everyone comply?  Of course not.  Yes the evacuations are given ahead of time and we've evacuated a couple of times only to be relieved that a hurricane didn't hit or wasn't as strong as predicted.  I'd rather go through the headache and time of boarding up my home and heading out than being sorry I didn't leave and stuck in a home that has been demolished and having rising waters and no where to go.  No plan is perfect and hurricanes are absolutely unpredictable; but it is better to overestimate the strength and damage coming than under estimate it.

I didn't realize that Mayberry was in Flurida.

Wingnut

« Reply #656 on: August 28, 2017, 12:14:55 am »
I didn't realize that Mayberry was in Flurida.

To be fair.   Otis would have stayed.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #657 on: August 28, 2017, 12:15:59 am »
My shop will be closed tomorrow. Day to day after that.
Still okay in my neighborhood. Been raining again since 2 after a 3 hour break.
Still have power and no flooding, but I can't get out.
For those of you familiar with the area, I am about a mile north of the old Imperial Sugar plant.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #658 on: August 28, 2017, 12:20:35 am »
I have to say, most people I am seeing on TV getting pulled out of flooded neighborhoods seem to be in good spirits. Been a few that seemed upset, but most seem to be taking it in stride.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #659 on: August 28, 2017, 12:36:41 am »
Dickinson is devastated.  8888crybaby

Y'all, remember the helicopters doing air-lift rescues in Dickinson earlier today?

Check this out:
http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_e1ffff8e-435d-5c78-ab46-57d6bc7dc6a5.html

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline thackney

« Reply #660 on: August 28, 2017, 12:39:15 am »
Hard to imagine we have this much more rain yet to come:

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #661 on: August 28, 2017, 12:59:09 am »
I can't imagine when Harvey was predicted to be a Cat 3 meaning that devastating damage is likely and added to that they predicted a 12-15 ft. storm surge; which in itself devastating he did nothing. Having been through several hurricanes, him not encouraging people to evacuate is unacceptable.  Even before it hit land it was upgraded to a Cat 4 meaning that catastrophic damage is likely, then they announced a higher storm surge and up to 30 inches of rain. At that point (if there was time to get out) to not to declare a mandatory evacuation is absolutely unacceptable.  He stated that sometimes the evacuation makes things worse.  B.S.  He and his team of people weren't properly prepared and rather than make some type of attempt to get the people out ahead of the storm, he did nothing.  Meanwhile, these people are still getting pummeled with rain and rising water.  This makes me angry.  It's not like TX has never had a hurricane or two to deal with and he should have known!
My sister tells me that stupid mayor put out messages to directly contradict the Governor.  maybe BLM doesn't mater to him?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #662 on: August 28, 2017, 01:03:01 am »
Things have changed around here.  The Brazos was previously forecast to peak at 55 feet here.  The new forecast is 59 feet on Tuesday and our levee is at 58 feet.  Sigh.  If things don't change, we will be bugging out tomorrow, but I'm not sure how we are expected to get out.  Said there would be proposed evacuation routes.  As long as I'm with hubby and my doggies, I can deal.  I'm finding out what is important and what isn't.  God will provide.

Wingnut

« Reply #663 on: August 28, 2017, 01:03:25 am »
What I saw on t.v. this weekend:
Weather, Weather, Maywether, and more Weather.

Cool for a 50 year old storm!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #664 on: August 28, 2017, 01:11:03 am »
Hard to imagine we have this much more rain yet to come:

@thackney

How are you holding out?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #665 on: August 28, 2017, 01:15:01 am »
Things have changed around here.  The Brazos was previously forecast to peak at 55 feet here.  The new forecast is 59 feet on Tuesday and our levee is at 58 feet.  Sigh.  If things don't change, we will be bugging out tomorrow, but I'm not sure how we are expected to get out.  Said there would be proposed evacuation routes.  As long as I'm with hubby and my doggies, I can deal.  I'm finding out what is important and what isn't.  God will provide.

Have you got a place to go?

Offline corbe

« Reply #666 on: August 28, 2017, 01:18:29 am »
   @GrouchoTex   I read earlier that Addicks Reservoir is full and they are beginning to release water from it, you heard that?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #667 on: August 28, 2017, 01:20:20 am »
For anyone interested:

https://www.aerhq.org

There are a lot of military members and retirees down there and AER helps them regardless of branch of service.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:24:51 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #668 on: August 28, 2017, 01:23:12 am »

Offline thackney

« Reply #669 on: August 28, 2017, 01:29:21 am »

God be with you.  We evacuated from Rosharon to a friends camping trailer in their driveway in Sienna Plantation, Missouri City.  The 59 ft @ Richmond is going to put more than the Sienna Levees were designed to hold (100 year flood design).  So we may be evacuating again tomorrow.  The 59 ft is expected Tuesday evening.  I understand Greatwood Levees won't hold up to that either.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #670 on: August 28, 2017, 01:31:32 am »
God be with you.  We evacuated from Rosharon to a friends camping trailer in their driveway in Sienna Plantation, Missouri City.  The 59 ft @ Richmond is going to put more than the Sienna Levees were designed to hold (100 year flood design).  So we may be evacuating again tomorrow.  The 59 ft is expected Tuesday evening.  I understand Greatwood Levees won't hold up to that either.

And, with you.

Please keep us informed as you can.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #671 on: August 28, 2017, 01:31:49 am »
I posted several charity organization links on the forum page for those interested.

God Speed to all.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #672 on: August 28, 2017, 01:36:17 am »
   @GrouchoTex   I read earlier that Addicks Reservoir is full and they are beginning to release water from it, you heard that?

Yes. They are talking it right now on ABC13 right now, if you can get it.  Will cause several weeks of flooding.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #673 on: August 28, 2017, 01:37:00 am »
@corbe
Yes, Addicks and Barker both.
Not good.
Maybe, necessary, but not good.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #674 on: August 28, 2017, 01:38:23 am »
http://www.houstonpress.com/news/how-addicks-and-barker-reservoirs-are-handling-tropical-storm-harvey-9740819

Releasing from Addicts first. 2AM Monday morning.   4,000 CFS release

Barker release a day later.

Releases into Buffalo Bayou.

https://www.hcfcd.org/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:48:52 am by Elderberry »