Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 102994 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #850 on: August 29, 2017, 05:47:21 am »
Shallow water flat bottom boats are cheap and last a long time in storage. Not exactly a large expense for something that seems to happen often enough to justify them. Who should pay for it, the people who live there. People who live in snow country pay for snow equipment. People who live in fire country pay for forest fire equipment including aircraft that fight fire. It comes with where you choose to live. It is incumbent on the community to prepare for what nature dishes out in a foreseeable way in their area - and not the rest of the country. And no, I don't want to mandate any of this. Some things are just common sense or suffer the consequences. Their choice.

The cities and counties have them (dive teams too).This thing just hit areas that hadn't flooded before.
Never mind me. I'll be back to my cheerful self after I get some sleep and morning coffee.
Just been a long few days, but spirits are up, family and house are well. I can't complain, but it won't stop my from trying LOL.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #851 on: August 29, 2017, 11:33:52 am »
My two cents:

First of all, this isn't something that came out of nowhere.  Last Wednesday when Harvey was still a tropical depression, reports were warning of up to 30 inches of rain for the Texas coast including Houston.  So for those who say there was no time because Harvey became a Cat 3 hurricane in less than 30 hrs, this is a non-issue.   It was never hurricane winds that threatened Houston.  It was always the rain.

By Friday, the warning had surpassed 40 in.  Every indication showed that the storm would stall and dump "biblical" amounts of rain.

Now for the politics of it.  It was the mayor's office that chose to politicized the non-evacuation.  After the Governor issued his Friday statement, “You don’t want to put yourself in a situation where you could be subject to a search and rescue.", the director of Harris County Emergency Services mocked the Governor's advice by tweeting in all-caps that "LOCAL LEADERS KNOW BEST".

Bottom line, if the weather people are telling you for three days that the flood of a century is coming, and you happen to live in low elevation areas, then you have no business listening to any official telling you to SIP in an area that is going to be under water soon.

Of course none of this takes away from the seriousness of this tragedy.  But when the mayor's office decides to use this event to score some political points against the governor, then they deserve being called out on it.

We understand all of that.  However, we still have people in mortal peril, and now is not the time to start pointing fingers and apportioning blame. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #852 on: August 29, 2017, 12:11:53 pm »
Made it thru Day3 OK.  43.6 inches of rain so far. Rain has been continuous but not heavy torrents.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #853 on: August 29, 2017, 12:30:07 pm »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #854 on: August 29, 2017, 12:34:17 pm »
Made it thru Day3 OK.  43.6 inches of rain so far. Rain has been continuous but not heavy torrents.

@Elderberry looks like up here at Ft. Knox we're going to get what Harvey doesn't dump on you and on New Orleans.  My Weather Channel app is showing were in the path of what ever type of storm Harvey might still be this weekend.

I'm glad you're still safe and dry too.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #855 on: August 29, 2017, 12:50:58 pm »
We understand all of that.  However, we still have people in mortal peril, and now is not the time to start pointing fingers and apportioning blame.

Fair enough.  Not meaning to assess blame.  Just saying that city officials can't have it both ways.

btw, Georgians are mobilizing to send supplies.  This disaster will leave a testimony of the goodness of people coming together to help each other.  It may be just what America needed.

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.  .  .  .  Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #856 on: August 29, 2017, 01:11:49 pm »
Fair enough.  Not meaning to assess blame.  Just saying that city officials can't have it both ways.

btw, Georgians are mobilizing to send supplies.  This disaster will leave a testimony of the goodness of people coming together to help each other.  It may be just what America needed.

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.  .  .  .  Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

It is very heartening isn't it?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #857 on: August 29, 2017, 01:12:56 pm »

Only 25.62" at my house and still ok. Probably could find aroute to get me off my hill today if I needed to.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #858 on: August 29, 2017, 01:46:47 pm »
Only 25.62" at my house and still ok. Probably could find aroute to get me off my hill today if I needed to.

Glad everything is ok.  Still praying for no more heavy downpours and that the rain stops. :0001:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #859 on: August 29, 2017, 01:51:57 pm »
@thackney, I hope you're doing OK today.   

Offline thackney

« Reply #860 on: August 29, 2017, 02:11:43 pm »
@thackney, I hope you're doing OK today.

Thank you.  Brazos River rising is backing up creeks & bayous flooding area around us.  I pray we won't have to evac a 3rd time.  Now we would have to take 92 yr old in wheel chair.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #861 on: August 29, 2017, 02:18:33 pm »
Thank you.  Brazos River rising is backing up creeks & bayous flooding area around us.  I pray we won't have to evac a 3rd time.  Now we would have to take 92 yr old in wheel chair.

Just my 2 cents...but if you have to move someone in a wheel chair...better to do it when you think you have to and have an escape route...rather than when you have to move and the route is under water.

But hopefully it won't come to any of that.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #862 on: August 29, 2017, 02:42:15 pm »

Glad you are hanging in there. In Medina we got less than an inch of rain total. I learned that our little town had 48 inches of rain in 1978 from Amelia and I can't imagine. I know what 9 inches in one day did here a couple of years ago. Stay safe.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #863 on: August 29, 2017, 02:44:40 pm »
Brazos river expected to crest today at record level.
99 closed between 59 and 90a due to structural integrity of the bridge.
It was under repair before the storm came.
April 2016,tax day flood, I had to stop and pull over for 8 hours just south of the barker reservoir.
Yesterday, they were pulling people out with boats in that same neighborhood.
60 miles NE, Kingwood has water rescues.
60 miles SW Dickerson had the same.
Folks, this thing is huge.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #864 on: August 29, 2017, 02:46:19 pm »
Watching Baytown rescues on Channel 13 now.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #865 on: August 29, 2017, 02:51:18 pm »
@Elderberry

What area are you in, if you don't mine sharing that?

FYI, watching rainfall totals for the local are last night.

The LOWEST total was 22+ inches

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #866 on: August 29, 2017, 02:53:15 pm »

From Fox News:

An already-swollen reservoir west of downtown Houston overtopped its spillway Tuesday, sending an "uncontrolled release" of Harvey's floodwaters into nearby neighborhoods, and putting the besieged city into "uncharted territory," officials said.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #867 on: August 29, 2017, 02:54:50 pm »
Channel 13 switched to Katy area, Barker Cypress near I-10, more water rescues.
Addickcks reservoir area.
Lady interviewed says she's lived there since 1996 and it hadn't flooded before.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #868 on: August 29, 2017, 03:03:54 pm »
Just got a news alert on my phone that officials in Brazoria County are saying that the levee there has been breached.

Hope no one here is in that area.  Prayers for the people affected.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #869 on: August 29, 2017, 03:08:34 pm »
@thackney
Riverstone subdivision was on Channel 13 just now.
Water rescue.
Please be careful.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #870 on: August 29, 2017, 03:10:49 pm »
Brazos river expected to crest today at record level.
99 closed between 59 and 90a due to structural integrity of the bridge.
It was under repair before the storm came.
April 2016,tax day flood, I had to stop and pull over for 8 hours just south of the barker reservoir.
Yesterday, they were pulling people out with boats in that same neighborhood.
60 miles NE, Kingwood has water rescues.
60 miles SW Dickerson had the same.
Folks, this thing is huge.

It's unimaginable for most of us.  **nononono*

Lest I be repetitive, you are all in our prayers.   
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #871 on: August 29, 2017, 03:11:54 pm »
Just got a news alert on my phone that officials in Brazoria County are saying that the levee there has been breached.

Hope no one here is in that area.  Prayers for the people affected.

Columbia Lakes subdivision is in immediate danger.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #872 on: August 29, 2017, 03:12:04 pm »
Lest I be repetitive, you are all in our prayers.

@musiclady

Ma'am in times such as this there is no such thing as being repetitive when it comes offering prayers.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #873 on: August 29, 2017, 03:22:39 pm »
@musiclady

Ma'am in times such as this there is no such thing as being repetitive when it comes offering prayers.

This is so devastating, I am fighting tears as I read.  May God protect the people of Texas.  Property can be rebuilt.  It's the people who matter in situations like this.

btw, I was looking for Ft. Knox on our map of Texas.  Where is it in relation to Houston and NO?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #874 on: August 29, 2017, 03:25:45 pm »

This is so devastating, I am fighting tears as I read.  May God protect the people of Texas.  Property can be rebuilt.  It's the people who matter in situations like this.

btw, I was looking for Ft. Knox on our map of Texas.  Where is it in relation to Houston and NO?

About 1000 miles NE in Kentucky.

- J. R. R. Tolkien