Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 103010 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #800 on: August 28, 2017, 09:30:23 pm »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #801 on: August 28, 2017, 09:31:38 pm »
Keeping all of my fellow Texans that are being affected by this storm in my prayers.

Be safe and don't try to be a hero.
What I am hoping is that people , instead of going outside in a bad element, relearn card games and talking to each other without outside disturbances like television cell phones or emails.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #802 on: August 28, 2017, 09:35:14 pm »
We made a second evacuation, out of Sienna Plantation and into higher ground in Missouri City, Quail Valley.
That is your old stomping ground, as I recall.  Mine too. 

Peace be with you, bro.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

« Reply #803 on: August 28, 2017, 09:38:08 pm »
What I am hoping is that people , instead of going outside in a bad element, relearn card games and talking to each other without outside disturbances like television cell phones or emails.

:beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline endicom

« Reply #804 on: August 28, 2017, 09:39:30 pm »
Help is coming in from many places, far away.

https://www.facebook.com/FDNY/posts/10155501008945729

The New York Task Force-1 team is a compilation of FDNY and NYPD members, all from Special Operations. We're being deployed from New York City to Texas to help in rescue and recovery. We are set to stage in San Antonio and we're going to await orders depending on the severity of the damage. We are set up for all types of rescues, including swiftwater rescues. We have a compilation of tools that include boats, motors, dry suits, rescue equipment for collapsed structures, rope equipment for confined spaces, and a large compilation of Haz-Mat equipment and tools. We're also supplied with a large, self-sufficient cache of food and supplies that make us sustainable for up to 72 hours in a row. I believe we're ready to face any danger," says FDNY Battalion Chief Jack Flatley, Task Force Leader of New York City’s elite Urban Search and Rescue Team (USAR) NY Task Force-1, which was deployed in the early hours of Sunday, August 27, to assist those affected by Hurricane Harvey. The team is comprised of FDNY and NYPD members trained to respond to catastrophic events, and it has been activated in the past to assist with emergency response throughout the world, including Hurricane Katrina and the 2010 earthquake in Haiti. In 2016, the team rescued/removed over 100 people affected by Hurricane Matthew in North Carolina. FDNY Rescue Paramedic Silvana Uzcategui says, "We are trained to save lives before patients are extricated from natural or man-made disasters. Our role in Texas is to provide medical care, to take care of civilians and the task force members. We're in the disaster zone. We're expecting torrential rains, winds, floods, and chaotic conditions. We're ready for it.

De Blasio actually said something I liked in expressing appreciation for the help received after Sandy.

Offline thackney

« Reply #805 on: August 28, 2017, 09:41:21 pm »
That is your old stomping ground, as I recall.  Mine too. 

Peace be with you, bro.

Yep, today we are in the house my wife grew up in.  Mandatory Evacuations for our old address in the area.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

« Reply #806 on: August 28, 2017, 09:46:14 pm »
I heard one guy talking about a 'thousand year event', and that says a lot. Is the whole town inundated or are there some high areas in Houston that are still above the floods (aside from interchanges and overpasses)?

It sounds like the warnings to evacuate were staged to some extent, just that the storm was underestimated.
The highest I heard was five hundred.    What is mostly happening is that basically Houston is flat.  It has massive drainage in its Bayous which are cement lined to transport lots of rainwater, but the deluge going on has overwhelmed them.  The tributaries going into the Bayous are backed up which are then backing up storm sewers into the streets.

Also, neighborhoods not flooded are trapped by nearby streets that have water over them so people cannot move out anyway.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #807 on: August 28, 2017, 09:56:05 pm »
The highest I heard was five hundred.    What is mostly happening is that basically Houston is flat.  It has massive drainage in its Bayous which are cement lined to transport lots of rainwater, but the deluge going on has overwhelmed them.  The tributaries going into the Bayous are backed up which are then backing up storm sewers into the streets.

Also, neighborhoods not flooded are trapped by nearby streets that have water over them so people cannot move out anyway.

They were calling it an 800year event on the news.

Brazos County Judge Robert Hebert told reporters the forecast crest represented a high not seen in at least 800 years.

"What we're seeing is the most devastating flood event in Houston's recorded history," said Steve Bowen, chief meteorologist at reinsurance company Aon Benfield.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/28/reuters-america-update-3-houston-crippled-by-catastrophic-flooding-with-more-rain-on-the-way.html

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #808 on: August 28, 2017, 10:55:36 pm »
Just to give you an idea of how big of an area is affected:

You could fit the area of the city limits of Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia and Baltimore and still not cover all of Houston city limits.

.....And Houston is not the only area affected.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:56:21 pm by GrouchoTex »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #809 on: August 28, 2017, 11:10:08 pm »
Just to give you an idea of how big of an area is affected:

You could fit the area of the city limits of Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia and Baltimore and still not cover all of Houston city limits.

.....And Houston is not the only area affected.
Well they say everything is bigger in Texas, unfortunately that got applied to this damn storm. Continued prayers for all those affected, Man and Beast.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #810 on: August 28, 2017, 11:13:00 pm »
Let face facts.
We live on a volatile planet.
Full of beauty and wonder, but it can be a violent place.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #811 on: August 28, 2017, 11:14:31 pm »
Fox 26 in Houston has a live stream on Facebook. Watching citizen/heroes with their boats rescuing people in Spring, TX. God bless them.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Wingnut

« Reply #812 on: August 28, 2017, 11:17:48 pm »
Let face facts.
We live on a volatile planet.
Full of beauty and wonder, but it can be a violent place.

Before insurance people moved.  After the Government stepped in...people rebuilt and rebuilt

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #813 on: August 28, 2017, 11:22:57 pm »
Before insurance people moved.  After the Government stepped in...people rebuilt and rebuilt
Yet, where are you 100 percent safe, anywhere?
Maybe if you are a liberal on a college campus, you can get a safe space, but that's about it.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #814 on: August 28, 2017, 11:30:28 pm »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #815 on: August 28, 2017, 11:34:29 pm »
... bottom line is we have a whole lot of people needing help and a state that has been devastated.  I feel that the mayor put more in jeopardy than was needed and he should accept blame for going against the recommendations of the governor of the State.

At any rate, praying for those in Huston and the surrounding area and prayers for all those going in for the rescues.
Agreed!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #816 on: August 28, 2017, 11:46:27 pm »
That happened when 5K beach cottages suddenly became worth multiples of that. Hurricane would wipe them out, Insurance would pay on current market value. Rebuild, as the real estate price keeps going up and wait for the next storm...

Governments are getting away from permitting people to build on flood plains and the like, simply because it is less complicated all around for SAR, emergency services, etc. Parks and golf courses where feasible.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #817 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:01 pm »
Agreed!

Sorry, @libertybele and @Smokin Joe

I agree with both of you on a lot of things, but not this.

Information was provided and people made their choice, as it should be.
We are conservatives, right?
We embrace the ability of people to have the freedom to make their own decisions, without Government interference, even if that means they have the right to choose poorly.
Private property rights and individual rights are still a tenet of what makes us unique as a nation.

Wingnut

« Reply #818 on: August 28, 2017, 11:51:16 pm »
Yet, where are you 100 percent safe, anywhere?
Maybe if you are a liberal on a college campus, you can get a safe space, but that's about it.

Not sure of your tone.   Could be you agree.  Could be you don't...   That being said...Risk is Risk.  Why should the Gov Underwrite it.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #819 on: August 28, 2017, 11:54:55 pm »
Not sure of your tone.   Could be you agree.  Could be you don't...   That being said...Risk is Risk.  Why should the Gov Underwrite it.

We do agree on this.

Not sure what my tone is either, but I'd figure it's off key.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #820 on: August 28, 2017, 11:54:57 pm »
Addressing the Zombie Hurricane Harvey scenario

https://spacecityweather.com/addressing-the-zombie-hurricane-harvey-scenario/

Today, there has been a lot of chatter on social media about the potential for the remnants of Harvey to move offshore into the Gulf of Mexico by around Monday, whereupon it might strengthen into a hurricane again and make a second landfall over Houston. This is obviously a scary scenario, but frankly it’s not one we’re losing too much sleep about here. The main threat for Houston remains heavy rains and inland flooding. But let’s discuss this anyway, because we’ve had a lot of questions regarding it.

For readers who been with us a few days, you’ll recall that we’ve been discussing the “Euro special” scenario since Thursday. The idea is that a drifting Harvey would wander southeast this weekend, and move back over the Gulf of Mexico. That seems increasingly likely to occur, although it’s far from locked in. Even with the European model, which has most consistently held to this solution, only about two-thirds of the ensemble members have the storm offshore on Tuesday.

While the center may move offshore for a day or two, the fact remains that Harvey no longer has an inner core, and what remains of it will deteriorate further while it is over land Sunday and at least part of Monday. This, along with its proximity to land, should limit intensification. In the official National Hurricane Center forecast released Sunday afternoon, hurricane scientists predicted that it may attain 45 mph winds offshore, but was not likely to strengthen further.

Wingnut

« Reply #821 on: August 28, 2017, 11:57:43 pm »
We do agree on this.

Not sure what my tone is either, but I'd figure it's off key.

Lets sing off key together!    :beer:  Know any sea shanties?   **nononono*

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #822 on: August 29, 2017, 12:00:17 am »

What would Jimmy Buffett do?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #823 on: August 29, 2017, 12:06:58 am »
Why don't you guys try this one?