Author Topic: J&J Loses $417 Million Talc Verdict in First California Case  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

J&J Loses $417 Million Talc Verdict in First California Case
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:52:49 pm »
J&J Loses $417 Million Talc Verdict in First California Case
Bloomberg, Aug 21, 2017, Margaret Cronin Fisk and Edvard Pettersson

Johnson & Johnson was ordered by a Los Angeles jury to pay $417 million to a 62-year-old woman who blamed her ovarian cancer on the company’s talc, in the first California trial over the product.

The jury found the parent company and its consumer-products unit liable Monday for failing to warn a woman over the alleged risk of the baby powder. The verdict includes $347 million in punitive damages. J&J, which faces 5,500 claims in U.S. courts, has lost four previous jury verdicts in St. Louis for a total of $300 million.

The trial in Los Angeles was the first before a state jury outside Missouri, where the company lost four out of five trials over the past 2 years and got hit with verdicts as high as $110 million. J&J is appealing the verdicts and in June succeeded in halting a trial in St. Louis after the U.S. Supreme Court made it more difficult for out-of-state plaintiffs to join lawsuits in state courts that are deemed favorable to their claims.

More: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-21/j-j-loses-417-million-talc-verdict-in-first-california-trial

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: J&J Loses $417 Million Talc Verdict in First California Case
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 11:11:24 pm »
Shouldn't there be millions of people with cancer then?

Powder has been sprinkled into diapers for decades...

and yeah, I know this is about powder in underwear, but I'd think the same type of exposure would apply.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:12:25 pm by SZonian »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 11:21:06 pm »

and yeah, I know this is about powder in underwear, but I'd think the same type of exposure would apply.
:huh?:

Ovaries are pretty far up the pipe from the skivvies. I would think ordinary cycles would have moved that stuff out of the intervening plumbing, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 12:01:19 am »
Yeah, I suspect this may be an Alar and silicone kind of thing.

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 02:58:58 am »
   I quit using that stuff on what once was my ovaries (they dropped) and switched to boxers, so the boys could breath.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 11:47:15 am »

Like so many personal injury cases, it's not about facts - just deep pockets.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 01:00:15 pm »
   I quit using that stuff on what once was my ovaries (they dropped) and switched to boxers, so the boys could breath.

Obviously some gender dysphoria going on.  I wonder if lavender baby powder caused it?

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:09:45 pm »
Obviously some gender dysphoria going on.  I wonder if lavender baby powder caused it?

They are claiming the problem is talc.  This is going to impact a lot of related products.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/talcum-powder-and-cancer.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:11:42 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 01:12:55 pm »
California whichhunts are very lucrative.....for lawyers.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 01:39:56 pm »
They are claiming the problem is talc.  This is going to impact a lot of related products.

From that link, those results seem to be inconclusive.
Many studies in women have looked at the possible link between talcum powder and cancer of the ovary. Findings have been mixed, with some studies reporting a slightly increased risk and some reporting no increase. Many case-control studies have found a small increase in risk. But these types of studies can be biased because they often rely on a person’s memory of talc use many years earlier. Two prospective cohort studies, which would not have the same type of potential bias, have not found an increased risk.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 01:47:23 pm »
$417 million for a single person?     The 'victim' is 62 which means she can be expected to live another 16-20 years at most anyway.   Thats $20 million a year.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 01:50:56 pm »
$417 million for a single person?     The 'victim' is 62 which means she can be expected to live another 16-20 years at most anyway.   Thats $20 million a year.
That's before the attorneys get their cut...

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 02:07:58 pm »
Yeah, after that she'll get a cup of coffee and $20.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »
Yeah, after that she'll get a cup of coffee and $20.
I think the law firm representing the woman for their logo probably has a picture of a mouthpiece with a briefcase chasing after an ambulance.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 02:52:45 pm »

One of the lawyers that won the Florida case against big tobacco has a massive house on the water here in Tampa.   Its about a $10million dollar house.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 03:03:40 pm »
I think the law firm representing the woman for their logo probably has a picture of a mouthpiece with a briefcase chasing after an ambulance.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 03:11:56 pm »

I haven't seen the epidemiological data, but it is my understanding that talc is about the most inert substance on earth.  The only pathological means of disease would seem that the ovary tissue must be encapsulaing the talc particulate.  Maybe the same way asbestos does in aveoli tissue in the lungs.  Also seems anatomically that a heavy mineral would have problems navigating the female plumbing.  Wonder how well the research was vetted?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 03:27:49 pm »
I haven't seen the epidemiological data, but it is my understanding that talc is about the most inert substance on earth.  The only pathological means of disease would seem that the ovary tissue must be encapsulaing the talc particulate.  Maybe the same way asbestos does in aveoli tissue in the lungs.  Also seems anatomically that a heavy mineral would have problems navigating the female plumbing.  Wonder how well the research was vetted?

They are convincing juries. They have already lost 4 other trials and won one on the same issue.  Also a federal court found them negligent but no damages.

http://blog.cvn.com/1st-california-talc-powder-trial-and-key-pretrial-hearing-to-be-webcast-live
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 03:54:50 pm »
IMO this is absurd from an anatomical and physiological perspective and slick lawyers are fooling gullible juries. The defense should be able to debunk the claim. The monetary award is ridiculous.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 04:01:53 pm »

Most people aren't doctors or scientific researchers. But they can still find the truth about things without being either. By using the exact method you just listed.
 I, too, wonder if talc is such a damaging agent, why haven't we seen millions of deaths related to its use?
I've known a number of heavy smokers who've contracted lung cancer.  Same kind of inquiry concerning talcum powder.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 04:07:58 pm »
Most people aren't doctors or scientific researchers. But they can still find the truth about things without being either. By using the exact method you just listed.
 I, too, wonder if talc is such a damaging agent, why haven't we seen millions of deaths related to its use?
I've known a number of heavy smokers who've contracted lung cancer.  Same kind of inquiry concerning talcum powder.

Before retiring...  my field

Here is one of my old favorites....  Gotta beware of this stuff folks.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 04:11:54 pm »
Talcum powder is made of talc.  A mineral which contains mainly the elements magnesium, silicon, and oxygen.

I have a very hard time believing talc can cause cancer.  If it did wouldn't it be a cancer in the area where it made contact and not a part of the body well away from the contact?  Talcum powder is used as an anticaking agent in table salt. 

A wiki article indicates there are 1200 lawsuits pending for this issue.

The only risk I found was that talc is mined from areas where asbestos is found.   Proper mining techniques prevent contamination and testing by the Govt has shown zero asbestos in samples of talc.  again according to wiki one of the studies on whether it was safe, published in 1993, was a US National Toxicology Program report, which found that cosmetic grade talc containing no asbestos-like fibres was correlated with tumor formation in rats forced to inhale talc for 6 hours a day, five days a week over at least 113 weeks

This is nothing more than a shake down of deep pockets.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 12:54:38 am »
Some talc, as mined, contains small amounts of acicular pyroxenes and asbestos. That has been eliminated in processing since the 1970s. Perhaps some of this was from that, but the article up thread basically says the results of studies in vitro vary from no effect to perhaps a very slight one for talc, itself. Epidemiological studies also vary in that some find no effect from using talcum powder (even from the pre-70s batches), to only a very slight increase which may be withing the realm of statistical noise.

Nothing like the correlation (and likely causation) found between clinical abortion and breast cancer where risk is multiplied by a whole number instead of a minuscule fraction.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 01:43:51 am »

The best thing for balls.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 02:15:43 am »
This is not finding a culprit that caused a problem.

This is fabricating a problem to go after one of the largest healthcare company there is.

While it appears there is no substance to the suit, the issue becomes how much diversion of resources will occur to J&J when they should be pursuing the next big research into medical breakthroughs. 

Which do we want, new medicines or enriching lawyers?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington