Author Topic: California Gas-Fired Power Plant Files for Bankruptcy  (Read 3744 times)

rangerrebew

California Gas-Fired Power Plant Files for Bankruptcy
« on: August 20, 2017, 01:08:57 pm »
La Paloma is not the only power plant in California facing closure due to its policy promoting renewable energy
California Gas-Fired Power Plant Files for Bankruptcy

By Institute for Energy Research —— Bio and Archives August 20, 2017

The La Paloma natural gas plant in California filed for bankruptcy last December because it was not getting enough operating time to cover its costs due to solar and other renewable energy receiving preference. The plant, which serves as back-up to the state’s renewable generating technologies, was also denied a reliability charge by the state that would have allowed it to continue to operate. The owners project an annual loss of $39 million without a reliability contract or other support. In its bankruptcy filing, the plant owners listed assets of between $100 million and $500 million and liabilities of $500 million to $1 billion.1  La Paloma is a 1200-megawatt merchant plant located 110 miles northwest of Los Angeles and is able to serve both the San Francisco and Los Angeles markets.2

http://canadafreepress.com/article/california-gas-fired-power-plant-files-for-bankruptcy
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:10:00 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: California Gas-Fired Power Plant Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:25:01 pm »
I doubt the state will allows this plant to close, as that backup power generation is needed by CA.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:40:52 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 01:29:17 am »
I doubt the state will allows this plant to close, as that backup power generation is needed by CA.

Do you expect the State to take of the power plant?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:06:33 am »
I think the question becomes one of "Can the power plant operate at a profit (or even breakeven) if it has to compete with subsidized industry?" If the playing field isn't level, it gets tougher.
That said, I don't know what levels of subsidies the 'renewables' get.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Mad Max

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:28:36 am »
I think the question becomes one of "Can the power plant operate at a profit (or even breakeven) if it has to compete with subsidized industry?" If the playing field isn't level, it gets tougher.

Its difficult for any utility to make a profit when power plants are constantly have regulation after regulation imposed on them. If power plants were freed from some regulation then we can be energy self sufficient.I blame the eco-friendly groups for creating this problem.Natural gas plants emit a tiny fraction of the smog-causing gases and slightly more than half of the greenhouse gases emitted by their coal-burning counterpart.As the U.S. is using natural gas for producing electricity, the air is getting cleaner.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:21:50 am by Mad Max »

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 02:47:09 pm »
I say the CA will follow the practices of NY and give subsidies to ensure backup power generation remains in place. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-nuclearpower-idUSKBN1AA2VF
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 03:46:37 pm »
I say the CA will follow the practices of NY and give subsidies to ensure backup power generation remains in place. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-nuclearpower-idUSKBN1AA2VF

They already turned that down.

The plant, which serves as back-up to the state’s renewable generating technologies, was also denied a reliability charge by the state that would have allowed it to continue to operate.

I think CA won't accept reality until well after regular rolling blackouts.  And likely then they will deny reality but justify imports of gas power from across the border pretending they still live in utopia.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 04:32:54 pm »

I think CA won't accept reality until well after regular rolling blackouts.  And likely then they will deny reality but justify imports of gas power from across the border pretending they still live in utopia.
Or until the money runs out.

Mad Max

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 04:48:31 pm »

:amen:

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 04:59:48 pm »
Or until the money runs out.

I thought California has been in the red for years.  Sell more bonds and the like, no problem.   :whistle:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 07:06:24 pm »
I think you sadly underestimate moonbeam and his gaia worshipping lunatic cohorts agenda for destroying California.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 09:51:33 pm »
IIRC, when this was going on around 15-20 years ago, CA patched it's electrical supply problem by purchasing it from an AZ Nuke plant.  It will take punishing the public with rolling blackouts to get their supply issues stabilized.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 02:38:43 am »
I thought California has been in the red for years.  Sell more bonds and the like, no problem.   :whistle:
Until no one buys those bonds.

Like I said before, until the money runs out.

BTW, Do you equate bonds with having money?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:39:55 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 11:38:23 am »
Until no one buys those bonds.

Like I said before, until the money runs out.

BTW, Do you equate bonds with having money?

No I don't.  I think the money already run out and it hasn't stopped them yet.

Do you equate selling bonds with having money?

Mad Max

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 11:52:51 am »
Bonds represent debt. A government, corporation, or other entity that needs to raise cash borrows money in the public market and subsequently pays interest on that loan to investors.Each bond has a certain par value (say, $1000) and pays a coupon to investors. For instance, a $1000 bond with a 4% coupon would pay $20 to the investor twice a year ($40 annually) until it matures. Upon maturity, the investor is returned the full amount of his or her original principal except for the rare occasion when a bond defaults (i.e., the issuer is unable to make the payment).Bonds lack the powerful long-term return potential of stocks, but they are preferred by investors for whom income is a priority. Also, bonds are less risky than stocks. While their prices fluctuate in the market – sometimes quite substantially in the case of higher-risk market segments - the vast majority of bonds tend to pay back the full amount of principal at maturity, and there is much less risk of loss than there is with stocks.I prefer bonds with stocks.In WWII, the Congress in order to pay for the war, the put up half in cash and the other half in war bonds. Many actors and actresses from Hollywood criss-crossed the country selling war bonds to the public. The response was a success.

See: "World At War" episode "We are on our Way" concerning how the money was raised in WWII.Not exactly one of my favorites in the series.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:46:33 pm by Mad Max »

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 01:37:51 pm »

I don't know how much California subsidizes solar/wind, but the feds give "renewable" operators $0.23/kW-hr in operating subsidies. In every other state, that is not enough to compete with cheap gas in a combined cycle plant, so California probably makes up the difference and does have laws mandating that utilities take the "renewables" first.

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 01:37:44 am »
No I don't.  I think the money already run out and it hasn't stopped them yet.

Do you equate selling bonds with having money?
Yes, it is having money.  A bond you are able to sell is bought by a buyer who gives you money.

You can file bankruptcy like the current thread shows and you have enriched yourself with someone else's money as it does not all have to be paid back.

In the case of a state filing bankruptcy, a bondholder is unlikely to have any recourse.

So California does indeed have money, as long as they can parlay their debt to suckers who give them money in exchange.

Mad Max

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 02:32:02 am »
Yes, it is having money.  A bond you are able to sell is bought by a buyer who gives you money.

You can file bankruptcy like the current thread shows and you have enriched yourself with someone else's money as it does not all have to be paid back.

In the case of a state filing bankruptcy, a bondholder is unlikely to have any recourse.

So California does indeed have money, as long as they can parlay their debt to suckers who give them money in exchange.

You are taking a risk investing in bonds.If the company or state goes into bankruptcy you have worthless paper.Bonds are more like leadoff hitters, the guys who can consistently hit singles and get on base. That is why you diversify your portfolio.In designing a portfolio, you want to have a mix of assets that can move inversely under different market conditions. Diversifying in this way reduces your risk and thus your chances of getting hurt.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:00:58 am by Mad Max »

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 03:44:57 am »
You are taking a risk investing in bonds.If the company or state goes into bankruptcy you have worthless paper.Bonds are more like leadoff hitters, the guys who can consistently hit singles and get on base. That is why you diversify your portfolio.In designing a portfolio, you want to have a mix of assets that can move inversely under different market conditions. Diversifying in this way reduces your risk and thus your chances of getting hurt.
You are confusing the risk of me as a seller of bonds vs you as a buyer of bonds.

Me, I am California, selling worthless bonds to collect money to fund useless schemes as I have broken the back of the taxpayers and need another money source.  And if I cannot pay them back, I simply say the magic words 'Bankrupt'.

You are the one undertaking risk if you buy my bonds.

Mad Max

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 04:35:45 am »
You are confusing the risk of me as a seller of bonds vs you as a buyer of bonds.

Me, I am California, selling worthless bonds to collect money to fund useless schemes as I have broken the back of the taxpayers and need another money source.  And if I cannot pay them back, I simply say the magic words 'Bankrupt'.

You are the one undertaking risk if you buy my bonds.

That is why you diversify your portfolio.I prefer a mixture of bonds,stocks,cash and metals such as silver or gold.I only buy bonds from institutions that I know will not be able to pay when it hits maturity.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:47:48 am by Mad Max »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 04:55:46 am »
That is why you diversify your portfolio.I prefer a mixture of bonds,stocks,cash and metals such as silver or gold.I only buy bonds from institutions that I know will not be able to pay when it hits maturity.
I understand diversification, but why buy bonds from institutions that will not be able to pay?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Mad Max

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 05:03:08 am »
I understand diversification, but why buy bonds from institutions that will not be able to pay?

Do your homework.Read financial magazines or newspapers like Money,Fortune or Forbes Magazine. Business Insider Magazine is also a great online magazine.Speak to a financial adviser to set up your portfolio. I had the financial adviser already. He was my father.He read all the literature that was available on investing and retirement.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 05:41:43 am by Mad Max »

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 12:26:15 pm »
See that wall right now?  Some people talk to it like we both have.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 12:43:06 pm »
This debacle has nothing to do with money. It's all about control. Liberals want people to do things. If they can control electricity, they can control the people. So they will eventually start telling people to cut back on air conditioning, lighting, reduce business hours, etc. Remember the gas crisis and all the rules that came out of it? We wanted SUV's but liberals didn't want us to have them so they passed gas mileage standards.

It's always about control. They don't want to fix the problem. They want to fix you
Countdown to Resignation

Mad Max

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 04:43:01 pm »
This debacle has nothing to do with money. It's all about control. Liberals want people to do things. If they can control electricity, they can control the people. So they will eventually start telling people to cut back on air conditioning, lighting, reduce business hours, etc. Remember the gas crisis and all the rules that came out of it? We wanted SUV's but liberals didn't want us to have them so they passed gas mileage standards.

It's always about control. They don't want to fix the problem. They want to fix you

:beer: