Author Topic: Is Bannon Falling On His Sword, Or An Evil Genius?  (Read 316 times)

Offline corbe

Is Bannon Falling On His Sword, Or An Evil Genius?
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »
Is Bannon Falling On His Sword, Or An Evil Genius?

By Steve Berman  |  August 17, 2017, 10:59am  |  @stevengberman

Steve Bannon phoned up the editor of a left-wing website, and proceeded to have a conversation about China, North Korea, white nationalism, and internal battles in the Trump administration.

The resulting piece, “Steve Bannon, Unrepentant” went so viral that The American Prospect’s servers keep crashing.

Everyone seems to have a hot take on this interview, and there’s a lot to unpack. So let me first start with why Bannon may have placed the call.
More puzzling is the fact that Bannon would phone a writer and editor of a progressive publication (the cover lines on whose first two issues after Trump’s election were “Resisting Trump” and “Containing Trump”) and assume that a possible convergence of views on China trade might somehow paper over the political and moral chasm on white nationalism.
Is Bannon laying the ground for his own termination? Is he falling on his sword to make the decision easier for Trump to fire him?

A message to Trump?

I think it’s more complicated than that. The relationship between Trump and Bannon is one of mutual manipulation. Trump used Bannon to help organize and contain his ugly shock troops, and Bannon used Trump to featherbed Breitbart and his own career. They both used each other very effectively.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/is-bannon-falling-on-his-sword-or-an-evil-genius/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Victoria33

Re: Is Bannon Falling On His Sword, Or An Evil Genius?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:49:07 pm »
@corbe

I read that and Bannon was simply stating some psychological truths - why people of certain beliefs hang together and the right message to that group can get them to vote for you.  If you want to get elected, use the message that gets the votes.  Politicians with a strong belief system guiding them, will not go after groups they know are in direct opposition to their core beliefs. 

Ted Cruz is an example of a conservative with strong beliefs who won't compromise to get votes of those whose beliefs he abhors.  Lindsey Graham won't compromise, either.  It doesn't matter if you agree with Graham's belief system or not, he is still one who will not compromise.  There are liberals whose belief system won't let them compromise, either.  In my opinion, Trump has no belief system, so he will say whatever to any group at the moment, to get every vote he can - winning is the objective.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 05:00:32 pm »
   I get where you're coming from @Victoria33 I could never imagine Sen. Cruz patronizing this particular group of people.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 05:19:56 pm »
In my opinion, Trump has no belief system, so he will say whatever to any group at the moment, to get every vote he can - winning is the objective.
@Victoria33
Vince Lombardi was only misquoted as having said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." Donaldus
Minimus lives it.

(What Lombardi actually said: "Winning isn't everything. Trying to win is the only thing.")

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 05:32:07 pm »
I think its a shot across the bow.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:41:41 pm »
@corbe
Ted Cruz is an example of a conservative with strong beliefs who won't compromise to get votes of those whose beliefs he abhors. 

@Victoria33

Remember the antisemitic group that "booed Cruz offstage"?

Senator Ted Cruz Booed Off the Stage—for Supporting Israel

http://www.newsweek.com/senator-ted-cruz-booed-stage-supporting-israel-269968

“Christians have no greater ally than Israel,” he said, as some in the crowd began to boo. “Those who hate Israel hate America.”

Undeterred by the catcalls, Cruz continued as some in the audience called for him to leave. “Those who hate Jews hate Christians. If those in this room will not recognize that, then my heart weeps. If you hate the Jewish people you are not reflecting the teachings of Christ. And the very same people who persecute and murder Christians right now, who crucify Christians, who behead children, are the very same people who target Jews for their faith, for the same reason.”

Then Cruz exited in dramatic fashion. “If you will not stand with Israel and the Jews, then I will not stand with you. Good night, and God bless.”

The best part was that Cruz knew exactly who he would be speaking to and he did it anyway.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:42:21 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:49:15 am »
   Brings back memories of his anti subsidized Ethanol speech at the very first caucus-Iowa, He won that, everybody else pandered, including the President.