Author Topic: Robert E. Lee opposed Confederate monuments  (Read 1202 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Robert E. Lee opposed Confederate monuments
« on: August 17, 2017, 02:50:13 pm »
Interesting little tidbit I found. I remember hearing this years ago too.

....But Lee himself never wanted such monuments built.

“I think it wiser,” the retired military leader wrote about a proposed Gettysburg memorial in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”.....

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/robert-e-lee-opposed-confederate-monuments/

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Robert E. Lee opposed Confederate monuments
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 02:52:48 pm »
An yet the ripping down of statues which have stood for over 100 years in some cases has reopened those wounds for many
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 02:57:06 pm »
The purpose of the monuments was to avoid a second Civil War, but not rubbing the losers' noses in it.

The aftermath of the "Treaty of Versailles" is a perfect example of what happens when you insist on rubbing the vanquished's noses in it.

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:57:47 pm »
An yet the ripping down of statues which have stood for over 100 years in some cases has reopened those wounds for many

Just to play Devils Advocate for discussion though, dont many on our side tell African Americans to get over slavery, it didnt hapen to them, their parents, or even grandparents? Some even oposed monuments to slaves. For example: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/lake/os-lauren-ritchie-baxley-slave-monument-20170512-story.html

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 03:02:29 pm »
So that means that monuments featuring him are anti-Confederacy and ok.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:11:42 pm »
Just to play Devils Advocate for discussion though, dont many on our side tell African Americans to get over slavery, it didnt hapen to them, their parents, or even grandparents? Some even oposed monuments to slaves. For example: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/lake/os-lauren-ritchie-baxley-slave-monument-20170512-story.html

I know Booker T Washington had misgivings about rubbing southern noses in their loss of the civil war with symbols of blackness. The only reason the Tuskeegee school was built where it is was because the local whites reached out in reconcilliation and were the primary sources of funding in the early years.

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 03:21:01 pm »
So that means that monuments featuring him are anti-Confederacy and ok.

What if we compromised and modified all these statues, adding, after the person's name, (Democrat) and what they did to the plaques.

So, for example, a Nathan Forest monument would read: Nathan Bedford Forest (Democrat) Founder of the KKK.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 03:27:04 pm »
What if we compromised and modified all these statues, adding, after the person's name, (Democrat) and what they did to the plaques.

So, for example, a Nathan Forest monument would read: Nathan Bedford Forest (Democrat) Founder of the KKK.

Its kind of funny, liberals on twitter got a little agitated with me for pointing out that Hillsdale College had erected a new statue of Frederick Douglass back in May. They really don't like anything reminding people of his association with the school or the fact it was the one of the very first (if not the first) schools in the nation to accept black students prior to the civil war.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 03:34:55 pm »

@AbaraXas
Not sure I get your point.  A statue is a method of showing respect to the people and our history.  Ya know the past

When most people that I know comment on slavery they do so in a historical sense.  So when people try to claim that they are deeply effected by it today it does cause confusion.

I have no issue with a monument to slaves.   Far different then supporting someone who says they are a slave today because they are african american.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:48:59 pm »
@AbaraXas

Not sure I get your point.  A statue is a method of showing respect to the people and our history.  Ya know the past

When most people that I know comment on slavery they do so in a historical sense.  So when people try to claim that they are deeply effected by it today it does cause confusion.

I have no issue with a monument to slaves.   Far different then supporting someone who says they are a slave today because they are african american.

A statue also serves as a form of respect for all families that lost sons, husbands and fathers in the War.

But, alas...they are all dead themselves.

“I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.”

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald