Author Topic: Aliens could conquer Earth by following 'dangerous' maps NASA 'foolishly' sent into space  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Fox News By Jasper Hamill Published August 16, 2017

Back in the optimistic early days of space exploration, everyone thought it was a great idea to offer aliens a chart telling them how to find Planet Earth.

But now the man who sent four maps into deep space fears this decision could prove to be disastrous.

Frank Drake, an American astronomer and famed alien hunter, worked with Nasa to design maps which were placed inside Pioneer 10 and 11 as well as Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 probes.

All four of these spaceships have now left the solar system and are speeding through deep space.

The plaque placed aboard the Pioneer craft shows a man and a woman alongside a basic map which plots the position of Earth compared to a distant pulsar stars, which are bright and long-lasting so could still direct aliens our way if they are found millions of years from now.

Voyager was fitted with "golden records", which can be played to reveal natural sounds and even images from Earth.

A similar pulsar map is engraved on the front of the records.

Frank Drake now fears it may have been a bad idea to send the maps into space.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/08/16/aliens-could-conquer-earth-by-following-dangerous-maps-nasa-foolishly-sent-into-space.html

Offline dfwgator

May I suggest they go to Washington, DC, first?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
OK

The Universe is 13.772 billion years old
The Milky Way is 13.21 billion years old
The solar system is 4.6 billion years old
The earth is 4.53 billion years old
Humans as we are now are maybe 30,000 years old.  Early Neanderthals are what 200,000 years old?
Modern civilization is maybe 6,000 years old.

So say it takes an average of 5,000-8,000 years for a civilization to mature to the point we are at.   
How long to develop interstellar flight?
How long before that civilization fails and falls back to a pre-interstellar level?

What are the odds that such a civilization would decide the earth is worth spending all this time at during that microscopic period where they have the capability?

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Wingnut

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
 Been there, done that...

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
If they're close enough to pick up those probes and read the "maps" the probes carry, then they are more than close enough to pick up and home in on the radio frequency traffic that we've been broadcasting into space since the 1930s. They won't need the maps.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline driftdiver

If they're close enough to pick up those probes and read the "maps" the probes carry, then they are more than close enough to pick up and home in on the radio frequency traffic that we've been broadcasting into space since the 1930s. They won't need the maps.  :shrug:

Interstellar navigation by braille

Wingnut

This talk of Alien probes is a bit disconcerting.  Could you all watch your phrasing. 

Offline driftdiver

Offline dfwgator

This talk of Alien probes is a bit disconcerting.  Could you all watch your phrasing.

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Oh great - as if global warming and killer asteroids weren't enough, now I've got this to worry about too.

BTW I'm struck by the term "famed alien hunter". Makes me wish I had known years ago how easy it would have been to achieve fame without actually accomplishing anything. By now I could have been known around the world as the "famed unicorn hunter"!
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Umm, Frank, 4 physical satellites is far LESS of a road map than the powerful TV and radio beacons that have been broadcasting for the past 100 years.  Further, the radio signals are much more likely to be intercepted and act like a homing beacon.  Basic physics.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I think we can rest easy for a few more years.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't think aliens will be able to hear our RF transmissions.  Considering how fast the signal fades by distance, I can't imagine the most powerful transmissions would stand out from the "noise" that's out there naturally.  It's why I think SETI is a wild goose chase.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I don't think aliens will be able to hear our RF transmissions.  Considering how fast the signal fades by distance, I can't imagine the most powerful transmissions would stand out from the "noise" that's out there naturally.  It's why I think SETI is a wild goose chase.

Radio is pretty low tech. Laser is much better but still fades pretty quickly without massive power behind it.

Most likely if there are aliens communicating across light years, they're using something we haven't even conceived of. In fact it really needs to be faster than light speed and the only things we can imagine at this point are the expansion of space and Einstein's spooky reaction at a distance.

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline dfwgator

Oceander

I wish they'd get around to invading.  Things are headed down the tubes, anyway. 

Wingnut

I wish they'd get around to invading.  Things are headed down the tubes, anyway.

If they have been watching...I figure they just need to wait a few years.  Don't you think?

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

They already landed in NJ, once upon a time.....:)

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If they have been watching...I figure they just need to wait a few years.  Don't you think?

I'm sure they're just biding their time.  At the rate we're going, they won't even have to Disc the fields, or even break the sod.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I'm sure they're just biding their time.  At the rate we're going, they won't even have to Disc the fields, or even break the sod.

@Cyber Liberty I hope it's not Alf. Our kitties would not be safe.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty I hope it's not Alf. Our kitties would not be safe.

Ours are unholy terrors.  Alf better watch his silverware.   8888madkitty ***evilkitty
I will NOT comply.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Why would they need the map?

Assuming any species ever finds a 20 foot wide machine floating in deep space .... it's antenna is locked on the solar system and will remain so, barring a highly unlikely collision with something, for millions of years yet. All they got to do is look in that direction.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink