Author Topic: Iranian drone flies too close to U.S. forces for second time in a week  (Read 472 times)

rangerrebew

Iranian drone flies too close to U.S. forces for second time in a week
By: Geoff Ziezulewicz   16 hours ago

For the second time in a week, an Iranian drone flew too close for the Navy’s comfort in the Persian Gulf.

The latest incident took place in the early evening on Sunday, when a QOM-1 drone came within 1,000 feet of U.S. jets operating from the carrier Nimitz, Naval Forces Central Command officials said.

It marks the 14th unsafe or unprofessional flight incident involving Iran this year, according to defense officials.

http://www.militarytimes.com/newsletters/breaking-news-alert/2017/08/14/iranian-drone-flies-too-close-to-us-forces-for-second-time-in-a-week/

Offline thackney

Re: Iranian drone flies too close to U.S. forces for second time in a week
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:12:57 pm »
The failure of the drone’s controllers to use standard, internationally mandated navigation lights during a nighttime approach created a perilous situation and potential for collision, he said.

The aircraft carrier control zone is a circle 2.5 nautical miles in radius, ~15,190 feet, during flight operations.

How in the world did this come within 1,000 feet without being shot down?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Iranian drone flies too close to U.S. forces for second time in a week
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:12:40 pm »
The aircraft carrier control zone is a circle 2.5 nautical miles in radius, ~15,190 feet, during flight operations.

How in the world did this come within 1,000 feet without being shot down?
This is definitely in the fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. If they let this happen a third time somebody needs to be busted.