Author Topic: NKorea: Nearly 3.5M Volunteer for People's Army as Tensions Rise  (Read 1490 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 07:58 AM

North Korea said on Saturday that nearly 3.5 million workers, party members and soldiers volunteered to join or rejoin its army to resist new U.N. sanctions and to fight against the United States in the current geopolitical tension between Pyongyang and Washington.

Rodong Sinmun, North Korea's official newspaper, said the volunteers had offered to join or rejoin the People's Army after the Korea Central News Agency (KCNA) issued a statement on Monday condemning new sanctions imposed by the United Nations in retaliation for North Korean missile tests.

Earlier this week, nuclear-armed North Korea threatened to strike the United States and its Pacific territory of Guam.

more
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/nkorea-volunteer-soldiers-army/2017/08/12/id/807272/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: NKorea: Nearly 3.5M Volunteer for People's Army as Tensions Rise
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 05:19:29 pm »
Lest we forget, the North Korean people are subjected to Anti-American propaganda from cradle to grave. Those who recall the war with the Us and UN forces are in their 70s and older, or dead. All hate, all the time (kinda like listening to CNN). Naturally, they would sign up.
It may well be that with sanctions, it is the best way to get food, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 05:21:49 pm »
Since it's from the official mouthpiece - the figure could be 3.5 million. It could be twice that. It could be 0 (and more than likely is, if we use the term volunteer in the accepted sense, not the military sense).

However, since everyone in NK volunteers for the military anyways since the military eat more than once a week, it's a wash and a fairly useless bit of propaganda.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:23:25 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 05:23:14 pm »
Since it's from the official mouthpiece - the figure could be 3.5 million. It could be twice that. It could be 0 (and more than likely is, if we use the term volunteer in the accepted sense, not the military sense).
I'd guess the numbers may be exaggerated. As for volunteer, "You want eat? Sign here!".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

HonestJohn

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:48:13 am »
More like the North Korean authorities demanded all their reservists 'agree' that they'd like to go back onto active duty.

That said, many of them would probably want that, as they would eat better.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:22:39 pm »
 Maybe we should send in DHS. They have 1.6 billion rounds.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:27:22 pm »
Lest we forget, the North Korean people are subjected to Anti-American propaganda from cradle to grave. Those who recall the war with the Us and UN forces are in their 70s and older, or dead. All hate, all the time (kinda like listening to CNN). Naturally, they would sign up.
It may well be that with sanctions, it is the best way to get food, too.

I picture them like the "Volkssturm" in Nazi Germany in the last days of the war

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 11:35:08 pm »

I picture them like the "Volkssturm" in Nazi Germany in the last days of the war

Or even worse......

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 11:42:19 pm »
Volunteer like a United Airlines customer.

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 11:44:59 pm »
Volunteer like a United Airlines customer.

With the same results - ambling around bloodied, mumbling 'I need to go home....'

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 12:00:24 am »
With the same results - ambling around bloodied, mumbling 'I need to go home....'

:silly:

Offline the_doc

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 12:06:40 am »
This mess is so sad.  If there's a war between the Norks and the USA, there won't be much of a ground war for volunteers to dig in for.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 12:24:03 am »
Or even worse......

The Norks have been indoctrinated for decades. It doesn't surprise me that they could get that many volunteers or many more. They're taught from preschool age that Americans rape Korean women and eat children as well as every other conceivable atrocity.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 01:11:10 am »
The Norks have been indoctrinated for decades. It doesn't surprise me that they could get that many volunteers or many more. They're taught from preschool age that Americans rape Korean women and eat children as well as every other conceivable atrocity.

3.5 million volunteers added to their active duty and reservist and paramilitary personnel (about 7.5 million in all, per 2016 Wikipedia article), brings their total under arms to 11 million.  This is about 44 percent of their entire population including women and children and elderly.  If we assume a fourth of their population, say, 9 million people, are not suited for military or at least paramilitary service, then the 11 million people uinder arms amount to almost 60 percent of all their able-bodied people.

That percentage tends to confirm that the Norks are a monstrously fanatical people as a whole.  The really spooky thing about that is that it suggests that we may not need to worry as much as we normally do about civilian casualties.  It looks like practically their whole country is our bitter enemy (just as you suggested).

I really do feel sorry for them.  But ignorant or not, they should have taken out the Fat Boy long before now. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 01:14:15 am »
3.5 million volunteers added to their active duty and reservist and paramilitary personnel (about 7.5 million in all, per 2016 Wikipedia article), brings their total under arms to 11 million.  This is about 44 percent of their entire population including women and children and elderly.  If we assume a fourth of their population, say, 9 million people, are not suited for military or at least paramilitary service, then the 11 million people uinder arms amount to almost 60 percent of all their able-bodied people.

That percentage tends to confirm that the Norks are a monstrously fanatical people as a whole.  The really spooky thing about that is that it suggests that we may not need to worry as much as we normally do about civilian casualties.  It looks like practically their whole country is our bitter enemy (just as you suggested).

I really do feel sorry for them.  But ignorant or not, they should have taken out the Fat Boy long before now.

The problem is that the South Koreans do worry about the civilian casualties in the north because they see them as brethren held hostage.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:55 am »
Maybe we should send in DHS. They have 1.6 billion rounds.

Nope.  That would violate the Geneva Convention.  (The DHS ammo is hollow-point and can only be used against Americans. The DHS has enough rounds to put about five bullets into every man, woman, and child in America.)

Offline the_doc

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 01:21:21 am »
The problem is that the South Koreans do worry about the civilian casualties in the north because they see them as brethren held hostage.

I'll grant you that.  But the Norks' "hostages" have been taught to hate the South Koreans.  The Norks are likely to kill about half a million South Koreans if they can get off a few minutes of salvos.

Anyway, the whole thing is a monumental mess.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 01:24:23 am »
I'll grant you that.  But the Norks' "hostages" have been taught to hate the South Koreans.  The Norks are likely to kill about half a million South Koreans if they can get off a few minutes of salvos.

Anyway, the whole thing is a monumental mess.

I don't believe the North Koreans are quite as brainwashed as people think.

I think back to Albania, which at one time, was pretty much just as messed as North Korea is.    Once the regime was overthrown, they very quickly became a US Ally, despite all the years of propaganda that labelled the US as the greatest evil on the planet.