Author Topic: The Beginner’s Guide to Pistol Red dots  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Beginner’s Guide to Pistol Red dots
« on: August 09, 2017, 11:30:24 pm »
T.Rex Arms

When red dot optics first hit the market, there was a lot of debate on whether they were more effective than iron sights on rifles. That debate has finally been settled, and now red dots are a common sight on most carbines and rifles. And that has resulted in increased effectiveness of shooters all over the world. But now there is a new debate… are red dots effective on pistols too?

If you’ve been watching the gun industry, you’ve probably noticed many people starting to mount miniature red dots on their handguns. And I’m not talking big competition guns set up for the open division of USPSA or IPSC. I’m talking smaller red dots mounted into the slide with co-witnessed iron sights. A setup more practical for conceal carry and gunfighting.

I was unsure if the technology was practical for handguns due to the cost, but I decided to build a Glock with an RMR to see for myself what the hype was all about.

Here are some of the benefits I have found:

Faster sight picture acquisition and easier long range engagement.

More effective low light shooting.

Easier one-handed manipulation.

Ease of use with night vision.

Sighting solution for people with poor eyesight.

Increased situational awareness.

More: https://trex-arms.com/the-beginners-guide-to-pistol-reddots/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Beginner’s Guide to Pistol Red dots
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:12:45 am »
I have the Docter sight on my 1911.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p1OR-3xjfc

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: The Beginner’s Guide to Pistol Red dots
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 02:28:36 pm »
Sig and IIRC Springfield are actually selling models with the slide mounted red dot sights.  It's an interesting concept.  I know when I was in Afghanistan the last time  Ihad an Aim Point red dot on my M4 and whatever I pointed a I hit target wise.

I may have to see about getting one for my 1911 as it has the cut down GI sights and I have a real hard time getting things lined up for center mass with them.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!