Author Topic: Forget ‘God-Damned Steam,’ the U.S. Navy’s Digital Catapult Actually Works  (Read 1194 times)

Mad Max

By David Axe

On July 28, 2017, a U.S. Navy F/A-18F Super Hornet fighter became the first fixed-wing airplane to land on and launch from the Navy’s new aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford.

The Super Hornet belonged to Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 23, based at Patuxent River in Maryland. Lt. Cmdr. Jamie Struck, call sign “Coach,” flew the two-seat fighter on the historic sortie.

The launch in particular is significant because, until recently, the Navy wasn’t sure Ford‘s catapult would work properly. The July 28 takeoff could help to restore some confidence in the system. “I get chills when I think of the millions of hours of work it took to engineer, develop and manufacture this ship and its revolutionary systems,” Struck said in a Navy release.

Ford is the first carrier to feature an electromagnetic catapult instead of a traditional steam catapult. The Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System is more compact, reliable and flexible than the older-style catapult design is.

http://warisboring.com/44394-2/

Offline Frank Cannon

I get chills when I think of the millions of hours of work it took to engineer, develop and manufacture

I get sick to my stomach thinking about all the billions wasted to solve a problem that didn't exist.

Offline DB

I get chills when I think of the millions of hours of work it took to engineer, develop and manufacture

I get sick to my stomach thinking about all the billions wasted to solve a problem that didn't exist.

Perhaps modern ships don't have boilers to provide huge amounts of steam. Originally steam was readily available.

Mad Max

The Chinese has started experimenting on EMALS.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2017-07-06/china-explores-electromagnetic-carrier-launch-system

Mad Max

Perhaps modern ships don't have boilers to provide huge amounts of steam. Originally steam was readily available.

We must have the technology first and perfected before the Chinese Navy catches up to us.

rangerrebew

From what I've read the problems are ironed out but the technology itself won't reach the Ford until 2020.

Offline thackney

From what I've read the problems are ironed out but the technology itself won't reach the Ford until 2020.

This was a test launch on the Ford.  It is already installed and functional per this test.

This was in the light load configuration.  The code will be upgraded on 2019 to allow heavier launches, per this article.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
We must have the technology first and perfected before the Chinese Navy catches up to us.
We must have the technology first and perfected before the Chinese Navy catches up to us. is given it by the democrats. Fixed it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:10:36 pm by GtHawk »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

What problem didn't exist?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
What problem didn't exist?

USS Ford Electro-Magnetic Catapult vs Steam

http://scout.com/military/warrior/Article/USS-Ford-Electro-Magnetic-Catapult-vs-Steam-105257070

The EMALS system consists of a series of transformers and rectifiers designed to convert and store electrical power through a series of motor generators before bringing power to the launch motors on the catapults, Navy officials have explained.

By having an electrical pulse come down, the aircraft is pulled down to the catapult to launch; the precise weight of the aircraft can be dialed in. As the aircraft accelerates the catapult, it can reach the precise speed it needs to launch, senior Navy officials said.

Unlike steam catapults, which use pressurized steam, a launch valve and a piston to catapult aircraft, EMALS uses a precisely determined amount of electrical energy. As a result, EMALS is designed to more smoothly launch aircraft while reducing stress and wear and tear on the airframes themselves.

The EMALS system can adjust to different aircraft weights and configurations. For example, EMALS is configured such that it could launch a lighter weight aircraft, such as an unmanned aircraft system.

This is particularly useful because the amount of thrust needed to launch an aircraft depends upon a range of interwoven factors to include size, shape and weight of the aircraft, wind speed on the carrier deck and the speed of the aircraft carrier in the water, Navy program managers said.

EMALs is engineered to support current and future air-wing configurations; it is designed to accommodate a future air wing that requires higher energy launches.

Offline driftdiver

I've also read that they require less space and fewer people to maintain them.    Seems to be a big improvement.

Offline skeeter

I wonder how resistant to damage the new system is. With steam as long as the carrier can get wind over her deck she can launch.

Offline driftdiver

I wonder how resistant to damage the new system is. With steam as long as the carrier can get wind over her deck she can launch.

Can they launch jets without steam?  I could see maybe the prop planes but an F18?

Offline skeeter

Can they launch jets without steam?  I could see maybe the prop planes but an F18?

As long as the boilers are intact they can have steam. I don't know what will happen if the electrical system is compromised - it seems like this system take a helluva lot of current.

Maybe its more robust than steam, I dont know.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

https://www.quora.com/If-the-catapult-on-a-United-States-aircraft-carrier-breaks-down-can-fighter-jets-still-be-launched

So can aircraft take off without catapult? Well, that depend on the model of your aircraft in question but the general answer is “No” and “Not in any typical takeoff circumstances”.

F-18E need around 1500 ft., F-14, if they are still in operation, take 1300 ft., and F-18 need around 1700 ft. to take off.

USS Ronald Reagan’s overall length is just a bit longer than 1000 ft., so in normal circumstances, no aircraft in the USN inventory would be able to take off without cat.

However, if you cleared the entire deck and minimally armed the aircraft with maybe a couple of missiles, sailed the ship at full speed, and took full advantage of the wind, then you may be able to send out F-14 or maybe F-111 if the USN decided to adopt them as planned.

There is one instance, however, where aircraft manage to fully land and take off from a carrier unassisted:

Behold, the C-130

in 1963, the US military has been testing the concept of onboard delivery aircraft and select C-130 as their subject of experiment. The USMC KC-130F made 21 unassisted landings and takeoffs aboard the USS Forrestal, no hook, no catapult. The aircraft can’t be stored onboard the carrier, however, so the project was scrapped in the end.

In addition I believe a prop plane like Super Tucano or Skyraider would be able to land and take off unassisted as well.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
What happens to any surface navy when one bomber can launch a thousand drones from a hundred miles away?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
What happens to any surface navy when one bomber can launch a thousand drones from a hundred miles away?

So this bomber( a big one) carries 20,000 lbs of drones. Each drone, with payload, weighing 20 lbs. And they are going to buzz along 100 miles to attack a surface navy? And the navy is to be worried?