Author Topic: Dallas PD Recalls Use of Sig Sauer P320  (Read 2387 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Dallas PD Recalls Use of Sig Sauer P320
« on: August 04, 2017, 01:06:13 pm »
The Sig Sauer P320 recall issued by Dallas Police Department caught all of us by surprise. Officers were instructed to stop carrying the P320 until the issue was resolved. With all the testing that the P320 has undergone with the Modular Handgun System program, the FBI trials that were narrowly lost to Glock, Immigration & Customs Enforcement adopting the firearm and several other huge contracts It is hard to think that something as easy to test as drop safety would have gone unnoticed.

Strangely there is a note in the owners manual that states that the pistol may fire when dropped. I always chalked it up as something a lawyer somewhere insisted that Sig include in the manual.

That is exactly what it appears has happened though. Last week rumors surfaced on the internet that an unnamed police department was recalling all P320 pistols due to an officer safety concern. The leaked interdepartmental memo is below as it appeared on Pistol Forum.

“Sig Sauer has identified that there is a defect in the P320 handgun that could cause the weapon system to go off when dropped. The Sig Sauer P320 was approved for primary duty, secondary primary duty, and back-up use. The Firearms Training Center is currently working with Sig Sauer to obtain a solution for the safety issue. Until Sig Sauer is able to find a solution to the safety issue, the Sig Sauer P320 is no longer approved by the ****** Police Department for any use.

Those officers that currently have a Sig Sauer P320 as a primary duty weapon will have the following two options:

Option 1 – Go to the Firearms Training Center on Monday, July 31st , during business hours, to be issued a city Sig Sauer P226 and qualify with that weapon.

Option 2 – Purchase another city approved weapon and respond to the Range on Monday, July 31st , during business hours, to qualify with that weapon.

Until getting another weapon and qualifying, officers need to practice increased safety with these weapon systems.

The Firearms Training Center staff is working diligently with Sig Sauer to obtain a solution and will keep officers informed of the status.”

Before we jumped the gun and published something about a recall we spent some time fact checking and getting official statements. Since The Firearm Blog wants to ensure that recall notifications like this one are factual we don’t rely on internet rumor and speculation but rather hard information from the manufacturer and the department.

The Firearm Blog reached out to Sig Sauer for comment after learning about the recall and spoke with Phil Strader, the Pistol Product Manager who would have issued such a recall. Strader states that Sig Sauer does not have a formal statement at this time and are working on gathering all the needed information to make a statement. Strader went on to say that even though he is the person that would have issued such a recall but had not done so and was unaware of any recall being issued at the time we spoke with him.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/02/breaking-p320-recall-issued-dallas-police-prohibited-duty-till-repaired/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Dallas PD Recalls Use of Sig Sauer P320
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:08:13 pm »
There has been a lot of talk about this and whether it's a valid across the board complaint for all P320's or just one individual weapon that is going viral.

My question is why the hell would someone be dropping their weapon enough in the course of a normal duty day that they'd have to worry about it going off?

There's also a part of me that wonders if Glock or someone that works for them isn't behind some of this panic because of sour grapes over losing the DoD contract.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:10:42 pm »
So it may discharge if you drop it?   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 01:13:57 pm »
So it may discharge if you drop it?

That's what the DPD is saying.  I saw a blog post and I'll try to find it where a couple of Sig experts did everything to include throwing a loaded P320 against the back wall of their indoor range and it didn't go off.

But it seems to me that if DPD and others were worried about "bump firing"...the M16/M4 would have been recalled years ago for that very problem.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 01:29:39 pm »
@driftdiver  Found it.

We have dropped, thrown and banged on P320’s for three years, working on our long-term and very in-depth R&D project. Some of our attempts well exceeded accepted specifications for such drop and jar tests. I include throwing a P320 against our shop wall in that category.

I’ve never experienced an instance in which an example with intact striker lock and reasonable sear and springing values would fire when dropped, much less a proper factory-spec gun.

I have quietly searched for and looked into online reports of any claimed malfunctions or safety issues, including drop-safety failures.

In three years, have yet to verify a single proven instance in which a proper, factory-spec P320 has fired when dropped.

https://primaryandsecondary.com/addressing-concerns-sig-sauer-p320/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:31:21 pm by txradioguy »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 03:05:47 pm »
Funny this should come out so soon after the Army contract was awarded.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 03:10:53 pm »
Funny this should come out so soon after the Army contract was awarded.

I thought so too...I'm guessing there is more to this whole thing than meets the eye.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 05:12:01 pm »
So it Begins: Sig Sauer P320 Voluntary Upgrade Program

http://americanshootingjournal.com/so-it-begins-sig-sauer-p320-voluntary-upgrade-program/

Yes, Sig Sauer will replace every P320 trigger, sear, and striker assembly in the wild. In addition, every slide and frame in every caliber must be machined to fit the new parts.

This will be a huge task and nightmare, considering SIG states there are over 500,000 P320s shipped, with an unknown number of caliber exchange kits and spare grip modules out there.
SIG outlines a three-step process for the upgrade.

Go to SIG’s Voluntary Upgrade page and enter your P320 pistol serial number.
    Register your upgrade request with SIG.
    Wait for SIG to get back to you.

According to SIG, there are two timelines to be aware of. First, it’s going to take a few weeks for SIG to get back to you as the company sets up the program. Second, once the company sends you a box or label and gets your pistol in-house, expect another 4-6 week turnaround.
@txradioguy

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 05:17:37 pm »
So it Begins: Sig Sauer P320 Voluntary Upgrade Program

http://americanshootingjournal.com/so-it-begins-sig-sauer-p320-voluntary-upgrade-program/
@txradioguy

I heard this might happen.  Went over and looked at the P320 page on FaceBook and a bunch of trolls and Glock fanboi's are gloating about how it's a "recall".  *****rollingeyes*****