Author Topic: Hackers break into voting machines in minutes at hacking competition  (Read 531 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hackers break into voting machines in minutes at hacking competition
By John Bowden - 07/29/17 06:21 PM EDT

Hackers at at a competition in Las Vegas were able to successfully breach the software of U.S. voting machines in just 90 minutes on Friday, illuminating glaring security deficiencies in America's election infrastructure.

Tech minds at the annual "DEF CON" in Las Vegas were given physical voting machines and remote access, with the instructions of gaining access to the software.

According to a Register report, within minutes, hackers exposed glaring physical and software vulnerabilities across multiple U.S. voting machine companies' products.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/344488-hackers-break-into-voting-machines-in-minutes-at-hacking-competition
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Hackers break into voting machines in minutes at hacking competition
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:46:30 am »
Of course if you give a hacker remote access to anything they're going to be able to hack it. the problem is that most voting machines are not connected to the internet so that means no remote access and assuming that they are properly guarded they're not going to be hacked.

Excuse the run-on sentence. I am testing speech-to-text software on my phone right now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:49:37 am »
Were they Russians?

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 01:15:19 am »
Of course if you give a hacker remote access to anything they're going to be able to hack it. the problem is that most voting machines are not connected to the internet so that means no remote access and assuming that they are properly guarded they're not going to be hacked.

Excuse the run-on sentence. I am testing speech-to-text software on my phone right now.

First, you are assuming they are not connected to the Internet. You are giving way too much credit to government employees. Second, anything networked especially if it has wireless access points is accessible. Particularly when there are major vested interests in hacking into it.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 02:00:03 pm »
Yikes