Author Topic: Senate blocks 'skinny' Obamacare repeal bill in dramatic late-night vote  (Read 339 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CNBC by Jacob Pramuk 7/28/2017

The Senate blocked the latest Republican attempt to repeal Obamacare in a dramatic floor vote early Friday morning, yet again stalling — for now — the key campaign goal that eludes the GOP six months into the Trump administration.

Three GOP defections — Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and John McCain of Arizona — sank the measure in a 49-51 vote. McCain, who recently returned to the Senate after getting diagnosed with brain cancer, cast his "no" vote to audible gasps on the chamber's floor, according to reporters there.

Senate Republicans released the plan late Thursday just hours before voting on an amendment to take up the bill. The GOP could only afford to lose two votes on the proposal, which many senators suggested they would not even want to see become law.

The measure came after separate pushes to immediately replace the Affordable Care Act or repeal it with a two-year transition period failed amid GOP divisions. Several Republican senators slammed the plan and appeared to not even want it to become law.

It marks another blow to the sprawling agenda that Republicans hoped to accomplish when President Donald Trump won the White House and the GOP held both chambers of Congress in November.

After the vote, a visibly frustrated Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell called it "clearly a disappointing moment."
More: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/28/senate-blocks-skinny-obamacare-repeal-bill-in-dramatic-late-night-vote.html

Offline anubias

Is the moratorium on speaking the truth about Juan still in effect or is it limited to just his "pobrecito has cancer" threads?

If the latter, I'll simply state FOAD for now.  If the former, a silent bird will have to suffice.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:44:45 pm by anubias »

Offline skeeter

Is the moratorium on speaking the truth about Juan still in effect or is it limited to just his "pobrecito has cancer" threads?

If the latter, I'll simply state FOAD for now.  If the former, a silent bird will have to suffice.

He's doing his best to make sure the day he 'shuffles off' is a pleasant one, I'll tell you that.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Shame, not a one of them up for reelection 'cause I would support their primary opponent with a donation.

Offline anubias

He's doing his best to make sure the day he 'shuffles off' is a pleasant one, I'll tell you that.

He's rapidly turning it into a Krug Vintage Brut 2000 day instead of a Thierry Triolet Brut.  ;)