Author Topic: Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040  (Read 1872 times)

Offline thackney

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/25/britain-to-ban-sale-of-all-diesel-and-petrol-cars-and-vans-from-2040

Britain is to ban all new petrol and diesel cars and vans from 2040 amid fears that rising levels of nitrogen oxide pose a major risk to public health.

The commitment, which follows a similar pledge in France, is part of the government’s much-anticipated clean air plan, which has been at the heart of a protracted high court legal battle.

The government warned that the move, which will also take in hybrid vehicles, was needed because of the unnecessary and avoidable impact that poor air quality was having on people’s health. Ministers believe it poses the largest environmental risk to public health in the UK, costing up to £2.7bn in lost productivity in one recent year.

Ministers have been urged to introduce charges for vehicles to enter a series of “clean air zones” (CAZ). However, the government only wants taxes to be considered as a last resort, fearing a backlash against any move that punishes motorists.

“Poor air quality is the biggest environmental risk to public health in the UK and this government is determined to take strong action in the shortest time possible,” a government spokesman said.

“That is why we are providing councils with new funding to accelerate development of local plans, as part of an ambitious £3bn programme to clean up dirty air around our roads.”

The final plan, which was due by the end of July, comes after a draft report that environmental lawyers described as “much weaker than hoped for”.

The environment secretary, Michael Gove, will be hoping for a better reception when he publishes the final document on Wednesday following months of legal wrangling....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 01:07:52 pm »
Good luck with that stupid bastards.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:09:51 pm »
Hard to believe they once had an empire that covered a significant part of the globe.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 01:14:19 pm »
This will be interesting.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:21:41 pm »
Someone has bought stock in TATA? :pondering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3wcJweOd-8

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 04:24:19 pm »
The place will either look like a scene out of Madd Maxx or Havana Cuba in 2050.

Poor dumb bastards.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 05:16:45 pm »
2040 is, by my reckoning, 23 years from now.  A lot can happen in that amount of time.  I wouldn't bet on it failing. That said, I would bet on pre-2040 cars commanding a premium price for about 10 years after that, so it might not be such a bad idea to look into investing in large pre-2040 fleets starting in about 2035. 

It will also depend on whether pre-2040 used cars can be imported in from outside the U.K. or not. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 05:19:41 pm »
They had better pray for some serious technological advancement to pull it off.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 05:22:17 pm »
They had better pray for some serious technological advancement to pull it off.

All they need do is make sure Tesla's new model does indeed become mass produced and they will have an all-electric that is affordable to the middle class. 

I wonder if Tesla's been fishing for subsidies in the U.K.?

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 05:30:03 pm »
All they need do is make sure Tesla's new model does indeed become mass produced and they will have an all-electric that is affordable to the middle class. 

Mandates are a rather effective means of subsidy.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 05:32:51 pm »
Mandates are a rather effective means of subsidy.

True, except there is still doubt that Tesla's would necessarily be the beneficiary.  Better to get it baked in as a subsidy to you, or at least a mandate that expressly requires the purchase of a Tesla.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 05:34:43 pm »

I'm thinking if they try and go heavy alternative energy by that time as well, they won't be able to handle the load of an all electric fleet unless some major advances come along.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 05:38:52 pm »
I'm thinking if they try and go heavy alternative energy by that time as well, they won't be able to handle the load of an all electric fleet unless some major advances come along.

That's a good point.  It'll be interesting to see which side breaks first.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 05:40:54 pm »
The Muzzie hordes that will take over Britain will be stuck riding bicycles everywhere, just like in China.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 05:42:59 pm »
The Muzzie hordes that will take over Britain will be stuck riding bicycles everywhere, just like in China.

And donkeys and camels, don't forget them!
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 05:43:45 pm »
It is a rather big chuck of the pie to think they are going to replace quickly.

https://www.eia.gov/beta/international/analysis.cfm?iso=GBR

They will need some growth in their power industry if they expect those to mostly be electric cars.

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 05:43:48 pm »

Different kind of "riding" involved!

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 05:46:58 pm »

Add in a goat or two and that covers your date night ride and ride for the new UK

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 05:54:29 pm »

Looking forward to seeing high speed police chases on Cushmans. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 06:03:20 pm »
The diesel emission testing by VW-Audi-Porsche in the US, was fraudulent. They essentially recalled nearly 500,000 diesel cars, and VW have stopped selling diesels in the US.

That was months ago. During the interim, it turns out the same deceptive testing procedures used by VW may have also been used by other firms, in Europe. Further, it has prompted greater interest in diesel pollutants in Europe.

This is a very big deal for Europe, because about 1/2 of passenger vehicles sold in Europe are diesels (due to higher mileage and higher fuel prices).

What regulators want in Europe, is for manufacturers to use more gas-electric hybrids like in the US, or all-electric. Just not diesel.

As far as I can tell, the issue in both the US and the UK is certain pollutants in vehicles burning diesel.

*just turned in a VW diesel automobile, less than a month ago, as part of their recall process. A friggin nightmare, I must add. My heart wanted a  BMW diesel, but my brain settled for a BMW gas certified pre-owned vehicle.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 06:22:02 pm »

UK date night 2040

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 09:09:56 pm »
Think this will be about as successful as the time the US was going to adopt the metric system. As I recall when the date came everybody just said "nevermind..."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 09:22:32 pm »

Ayup.  I'm rather looking forward to the food riots.  @EC be careful...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:17 pm »
Think this will be about as successful as the time the US was going to adopt the metric system. As I recall when the date came everybody just said "nevermind..."

Sad thing is there are still remnants from the evil Carter tried to foist on us.  My speedo is still duel MPH and KPH. My beer can says 355ml.  My green house thermometer has celsius for christ sake.  The horror.

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 09:41:09 pm »
Sad thing is there are still remnants from the evil Carter tried to foist on us.  My speedo is still duel MPH and KPH. My beer can says 355ml.  My green house thermometer has celsius for christ sake.  The horror.

That has more to do with the fact that the same goods are sold in the US and Canada, and Canada is on the metric system.