Author Topic: Is Our Sun Slowing Down in Its Middle Age?  (Read 1386 times)

rangerrebew

Is Our Sun Slowing Down in Its Middle Age?
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:26:31 am »
Is Our Sun Slowing Down in Its Middle Age?
By: Monica Bobra | July 21, 2017

The structure of the Sun's surface, where sunspots live, appears to have changed markedly 23 years ago. That’s when solar magnetic activity might have started slowing down, Rachel Howe (University of Birmingham, UK, and Aarhaus University, Denmark) and collaborators speculate in paper to appear in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (full text here). Such a structural change might help explain the Sun's mysteriously weak cycles in recent years.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/sun-slowing-magnetic-activity/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:27:25 am by rangerrebew »

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline montanajoe

Re: Is Our Sun Slowing Down in Its Middle Age?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 03:55:06 am »
We launched Vanguard coming on 60 years which  was really the first step in broadening our understanding of the sun but now only 60 years later some folks think the changes we've seen during that time predict the way the sun has acted for millions of years and will continue to act.

Call me skeptical..... :whistle:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 12:22:22 pm »
Actually, Explorer was launched before a vanguard finally made it into orbit.......

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 09:50:19 pm »
Actually, Explorer was launched before a vanguard finally made it into orbit.......

That's correct but IIRC Vanguard was the first with instrumentation that was capable of studying the sun and if memory serves the Van Allen belts were discovered by Vanguard..

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 01:32:56 am »
That's correct but IIRC Vanguard was the first with instrumentation that was capable of studying the sun and if memory serves the Van Allen belts were discovered by Vanguard..

Nope. Explorer 1 is officially credited with discovering the Van Allen belts. The only instrument it had was a Geiger counter and it kept getting saturated because they had the upper range set too low. Vanguard 1 was just a 3.25 lb beeper, Vanguard 2 was a 24 lb satellite that had an optical cloud measurement device, and Vanguard 3, weighing in at 50 lbs, did send back radiation data that defined the lower edge of the Van Allen belts, but the first three Explorers and three of the Pioneer lunar attempts really sent back the most data defining the belts.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:35:43 am »
Nope. Explorer 1 is officially credited with discovering the Van Allen belts. The only instrument it had was a Geiger counter and it kept getting saturated because they had the upper range set too low. Vanguard 1 was just a 3.25 lb beeper, Vanguard 2 was a 24 lb satellite that had an optical cloud measurement device, and Vanguard 3, weighing in at 50 lbs, did send back radiation data that defined the lower edge of the Van Allen belts, but the first three Explorers and three of the Pioneer lunar attempts really sent back the most data defining the belts.

Thank you... I guess I have been wrong in my recollection for all these years.. good to get it cleared up

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 02:56:49 pm »
Mister Maunder, your ride is here.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 02:59:50 pm »
They're lining up the next great crisis behind global warming...