Author Topic: McCain’s primary challenger asks him to step aside after diagnosis  (Read 2819 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McCain’s primary challenger asks him to step aside after diagnosis
By Josh Delk - 07/22/17 05:46 PM EDT

A former political opponent of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) urged him to step down from his office one day after he was diagnosed with brain cancer.

Kelli Ward — who lost to McCain last year in Arizona's Republican primary and is now running to challenge Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) — said this week that "the medical reality of [McCain's] diagnosis is grim," and he should consider stepping down and having her take his place.

"Senator McCain has an aggressive brain cancer that is both devastating and debilitating. When the time comes that Senator McCain can no longer perform his duties in the Senate at full capacity, he owes it to the people of Arizona to step aside," Ward said in an interview with an Indiana radio station this week.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/343320-former-campaign-manager-pushes-mccain-to-resign-says-she-could-replace-him
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: McCain’s primary challenger asks him to step aside after diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 11:43:40 pm »
Since he represents the state of Arizona, there should be some means whereby the state can do that on its own rather than depending upon a very, very sick man who could linger for years.  Arizona will not be served well if the latter case develops.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:49:51 pm »
I voted for her, and I just lost all respect for her.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 11:53:07 pm »

Its like saying "You're going to die anyway so get out of my way and give me what I couldn't win otherwise".

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 11:57:15 pm »
Its like saying "You're going to die anyway so get out of my way and give me what I couldn't win otherwise".

'Zackly.  At present, I stand a better chance of getting that seat than she does. I should have taken that call from Cornville the other night.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 11:58:32 pm »

Typical women.  The guy's not dead yet but she is in for the payday. :nometalk:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 12:03:46 am »

Ayup.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frandia

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 12:14:40 am »
One RINO replacing another...meh! Never want to wish ill health on anyone but he should have left years ago and joined the Democrats.

Offline Frandia

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 12:15:16 am »

That's called a soon-to-be ex-wife.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 12:36:06 am »
Since he represents the state of Arizona, there should be some means whereby the state can do that on its own rather than depending upon a very, very sick man who could linger for years.  Arizona will not be served well if the latter case develops.

Chances of him lingering for years is slim; a possibility certainly but not likely.  The prognosis for glioblastoma is grim with a median survival rate of 14 months.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 12:56:13 am »
Chances of him lingering for years is slim; a possibility certainly but not likely.  The prognosis for glioblastoma is grim with a median survival rate of 14 months.

Better than you might think.  McCain has the best of the best medial care.  He has the Senate package, that you or I could only dream about.  He'll be clinging to his live and power many months from now.
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 12:58:21 am »
Better than you might think.  McCain has the best of the best medial care.  He has the Senate package, that you or I could only dream about.  He'll be clinging to his live and power many months from now.

Yep. He will have the best hospice care our money can buy.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 01:00:56 am »

Definitely not her finest hour. I found it rather Trumpian with its absence of class and compassion.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 01:03:13 am »
Yep. He will have the best hospice care our money can buy.

Right up until he croaks.  And, the best part...he'll still be voting in the Senate, because he's not going to resign.  As I've been saying for years he's working the Ted Kennedy plan.  Senator for "life."
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 01:10:28 am »
She's right.

But he won't.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 01:27:13 am »
She's right.

But he won't.

She's partially correct.  He should resign, but Ducey needs to appoint somebody other than the person who lost to him last election.
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 01:28:48 am »

That really doesn't matter. Senate rules require the elected representative to be present for votes.  There's no option for proxy or remote voting. If he's constantly getting treatment and not available to represent the people, he's more useless than he has been. Sorry, that's just the truth.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 01:40:55 am »
That really doesn't matter. Senate rules require the elected representative to be present for votes.  There's no option for proxy or remote voting. If he's constantly getting treatment and not available to represent the people, he's more useless than he has been. Sorry, that's just the truth.

True.  Only matters on close votes.  Two things, then:  Dems have set the precedent that they can roll the half-stiff body into the Senate on a gurney, with the understanding a raised finger is a an "Aye" vote, and secondly, McCain has been a reliable Dem vote.  That's another truth.

Never underestimate the cunning at play.  McCain can and will vote until he expires, if he wants to.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 02:01:39 am »
She's right. It's about the nation, not McCain. He needs to stand down and spend his last days with his family.

Also doesn't mean it should go to the person who lost to him.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 02:32:20 am »
Also doesn't mean it should go to the person who lost to him.

It won't.  The AZ governor gets to replace him until the next election in 2020.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 02:54:55 am »

He can have the best medical care that there is ... certainly Teddy Kennedy had the best medical care ... he had the same type of cancer and he died 15 months after he was diagnosed at 77.  I am not a doctor, but the doctor interviewed regarding McCain's condition made it very clear; the median survival rate for anyone with gioblastoma is 14 months. It's the most aggressive cancer there is. When the Lord calls him home, it doesn't matter how great his medical care is; he's going home.

I don't like him as a Senator, but for someone who challenged him to try to push him aside because he has been diagnosed with cancer is just plain wrong!  Certainly, I think he should resign, but that decision is his.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 03:01:56 am »
   We've seen this before, in our recent Lifetimes, Byrd, Kennedy, EXIT, not Stage Left, toes up, only.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 03:13:09 am »

I agree.  Absolutely wrong and cruel time for such a comment.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Oceander

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 03:14:31 am »
Rude and crude, maybe, but spot on.  He should have had a plan prepared for just this scenario, and he owes it to the people of Arizona to step aside now.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 03:14:49 am »
He can have the best medical care that there is ... certainly Teddy Kennedy had the best medical care ... he had the same type of cancer and he died 15 months after he was diagnosed at 77.  I am not a doctor, but the doctor interviewed regarding McCain's condition made it very clear; the median survival rate for anyone with gioblastoma is 14 months. It's the most aggressive cancer there is. When the Lord calls him home, it doesn't matter how great his medical care is; he's going home.

I don't like him as a Senator, but for someone who challenged him to try to push him aside because he has been diagnosed with cancer is just plain wrong!  Certainly, I think he should resign, but that decision is his.

I keep hearing that:  "...the median survival rate for anyone with gioblastoma is 14 months."  Here is what that means:  Half of the victims live less than 14 months, the other half live more. Could be 6 months more.  McCain has, and has had, the best health care US taxpayer money can provide, being a US Senator.  I'd bet he lives at the high end of that statistic.
I will NOT comply.