Author Topic: Rush: The Never-Ending Quest to Reach the Millennials  (Read 525 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rush: The Never-Ending Quest to Reach the Millennials
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:36:04 pm »
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2017/07/21/the-never-ending-quest-to-reach-the-millennials/

The Never-Ending Quest to Reach the Millennials

Jul 21, 2017

RUSH: I want to grab Chris in Audubon, Minnesota. How are you doing?

CALLER: Mega dittos from Minnesota.

RUSH: Thank you.

CALLER: I was hearing your show since I was born in ’95 thanks to my mom.

RUSH: Wow. I appreciate that.

CALLER: I knew the phone number because I had it passively memorized just from sheer exposure.

RUSH: Wow. It’s cool. I appreciate that. Thanks. What’s up?

CALLER: I have an idea for you to help reach my generation, the Millennials. Uh, ’cause we don’t really listen to a lot of radio in general, uh, let alone talk radio. Um, ’cause, like, Millennials get bored. What we do is, we pull out our cell phones. We get on Facebook. We get on Instagram. My personal favorite is we get on YouTube and we watch videos to entertain us.

RUSH: We are working on… I’ve had this idea presented a couple of times this week, YouTube videos, Facebook videos — a couple-minutes, no more than two minutes long, because of the attention span.

CALLER: Mmm-hmm.

RUSH: And we did. We posted a test video on our Facebook page this week, analogizing health care to cord cutting for cable TV. It was brilliant, if I say so myself. I’m flattered that you want this program to reach the ears and the minds and hearts of your generation and your friends.

We do too.

I think we could be, to quote Scaramucci “phenomenally successful” in such an outreach. Stand by, Chris, because it’s something I think that we’re gonna seriously delve into and do it the right way soon. I’m so flattered that you’re out there, remembering the phone number ’cause you’ve just been totally exposed to it. But feel free to spread the word yourself! I’m not asking you to do that. We’re gonna take the responsibility for it. I’m just saying: If the opportunity happens, do not be defensive about it at all. That’ll help sell it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Rush: The Never-Ending Quest to Reach the Millennials
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:49:00 pm »
The problem everyone seems to have these days is the desire to blanket define all millennials based on a few stereotypes when, in reality, attitude wise, they seem to be far more diverse in overall attitude than previous generations (even more so than Gen X that is all over the map). Many, like Rush, have this pop culture image of what a millennial is and then apply it to all of them. At that, I've learned from hiring many and being to so many seminars on 'reaching them' in the business world, is, as soon as you try to define them or box them in, they act completely different.

I saw an article earlier today that was a perfect example of this. It basically said millennials refuse to work oilfield jobs because it was hard work, dirty, and didn't give them the free time they wanted. Yet, when I look at KBR, Halliburton, Great White, and other oilfield companies around here and their job fairs, those type of jobs are being filled by mostly millennials. For every flower-beard, stereotypical millennial you find, I'll show you one that works 80 hour weeks in Midland on an oil rig. For every one you find whining about working hard and spending their money all on art degrees and tattoos, I'll find you one starting her own business and putting in more hours than her parents and grandparents to make it successful. One close friend, who looking at her, you would easily say is a stereotypical millennial, in addition to a full time job, also owns two businesses and raises two daughters (as a single mother up until a month ago). Someone like Rush would probably mock her with her tattoos, blue hair (this week), and liberal arts degree (undergrad in Journalism and Photography), but I would bet at 26, she works as hard, if not harder, than many of the generations Rush lauds.

The problem Rush and so many others have when trying to reach out and define any generation subset, is you start viewing them all and speaking to them all as the same unit and not as individuals with the same challenges, goals, fears, desires, hopes, and challenges as every other generation before them.

Rush even goes one step further in blowing it by his constantly mockery.  Why would a millennial ever want to listen to him when they turn his show on and are mocked and stereotyped? The same goes for the Republican party that often seems to act the same way.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:50:24 pm by AbaraXas »