Author Topic: Mueller found the man (Trump), now he’ll find the crime  (Read 483 times)

Offline endicom

Mueller found the man (Trump), now he’ll find the crime
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:19:29 pm »
Legal Insurrection
William Jacobson
July 20, 2017

Excerpt:

If Mueller is moving in this direction, then he has crossed — or is very close to crossing — the line into what isn’t supposed to happen in this country, finding the person then finding the crime. Even Kevin Drum at Mother Jones notes this problem:

I’ll confess to some mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, this stuff is all semi-related to Russia, and might therefore be relevant to the campaign issue. On the other hand, we’ve all seen what happens when special prosecutors get out of control and start investigating everything under the sun. So far this looks like it’s still legitimately tied to Mueller’s original brief, but it’s a close call.

There is a place where the doctrine was to find the person, then find the crime. It was in Russia’s predecessor, the Soviet Union. How ironic and inappropriate it would be if that is the direction Mueller is heading.

More... http://legalinsurrection.com/2017/07/mueller-found-the-man-trump-now-hell-find-the-crime/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Mueller found the man (Trump), now he’ll find the crime
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:59:14 pm »
Drum is just mad the original Whitewater investigation led nowhere, but eventually uncovered the fact Slick Willie obstructed justice and suborned perjury.  He's being blatantly dishonest in this portion, though....

Donald Trump sure knows how to screw up, doesn’t he? He fired James Comey because the FBI was investigating Russia and he fired Preet Bharara because he was leading an investigation of money laundering.

Comey was fired because of his poor handling of the Clinton email case and making himself subject to questions of credibility by both sides.

Bharara was fired because he didn't resign - just like all the other US Attorneys when they were asked.  Housecleaning is common at the change of administrations.   Money laundering schemes are notoriously long and expensive to bring to trial. Settlements are common and it's likely Bharara would have as well.   If you checked his prosecution history, I'm sure you will find this to be the case.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 12:19:53 am »
Drum is just mad the original Whitewater investigation led nowhere, but eventually uncovered the fact Slick Willie obstructed justice and suborned perjury.  He's being blatantly dishonest in this portion, though....

Donald Trump sure knows how to screw up, doesn’t he? He fired James Comey because the FBI was investigating Russia and he fired Preet Bharara because he was leading an investigation of money laundering.

Comey was fired because of his poor handling of the Clinton email case and making himself subject to questions of credibility by both sides.

Bharara was fired because he didn't resign - just like all the other US Attorneys when they were asked.  Housecleaning is common at the change of administrations.   Money laundering schemes are notoriously long and expensive to bring to trial. Settlements are common and it's likely Bharara would have as well.   If you checked his prosecution history, I'm sure you will find this to be the case.

Bharara has been getting overturned on appeal.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:18:01 am »
Not that I don't believe you, but can you give a source?  That makes his dismissal all the more justified.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:21:58 am »
Find the person, then find the crime is not some Soviet archaism; it's SOP for far too many cops and prosecutors, particularly where civil asset forfeiture is involved.  Unfortunately, it is now as American as apple pie. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 01:27:56 am »
Find the person, then find the crime is not some Soviet archaism; it's SOP for far too many cops and prosecutors, particularly where civil asset forfeiture is involved.  Unfortunately, it is now as American as apple pie.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Frederic Bastiat
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 01:33:00 am »
Not that I don't believe you, but can you give a source?  That makes his dismissal all the more justified.

STASI: Freedom for Sheldon Silver shows overreach of media-hungry fraud Preet Bharara

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/stasi-sheldon-silver-free-preet-bharara-fraud-article-1.3326617