Author Topic: Hugh Hewitt Show - Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton on What’s Next in the Senate on Obamacare Repeal  (Read 778 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Tue, Jul 18, 2017  |  By Duane Patterson
Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton on What’s Next in the Senate on Obamacare Repeal
Tweet Email Email Print
Advertisement

The audio:

07-18hhs-cotton

The transcript:

HH: Joined now by United States Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas. Good morning, Senator.

TC: Good morning, Hugh. How are you?

HH: I’m terrible. I think American health care is in deep trouble. The Obamacare death spiral is continuing. And the Senate effort has collapsed. What happens next?

TC: Well, Hugh, you’re right that the American health care system is still groaning under the weight of Obamacare. That’s why we can’t simply accept failure as an outcome. I am pleased to see that Senator McConnell has said that we’re going to move forward with the very bill to repeal Obamacare on which 49 Republican senators voted just 18 months ago in December of 2015. And I know that both John Kennedy and Luther Strange, two new Republican senators over the last year, would vote for that bill as well, 51 votes.

HH: So will you vote to take up the House bill with the guarantee that the first amendment is full repeal?

TC: Of course, Hugh. I don’t see how any Republican senator who voted just 18 months ago for this very piece of legislation could now flip-flop 18 months on with Obamacare still inflicting so much harm on Americans, and the fact that we campaigned on this for four straight elections. So I’m pleased to see that Senator McConnell, after much hard work trying to craft legislation that could win the votes of 50 senators is now going to return a bill on which again, 49 Republican senators have already voted, and Luther Strange and John Kennedy will vote.

HH: So if that is successful, and I believe it is a career ender to vote against a bill that you voted for in ’15, it’s a career ender, you just ought to resign…

TC: Well, Hugh, just on most issues, Hugh, you know, we deal with complicated topics, and you know, you hear from people back home on both sides of the issue. That’s the case on almost everything. Even when something’s wildly popular, you know, if 70% of Arkansans agree with something, that means I’ve still got about a million Arkansans who disagree with it.

Continued: http://www.hughhewitt.com/arkansas-senator-tom-cotton-whats-next-senate-obamacare-repeal/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:00:17 am by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. Yeah well Tommy, I see a bunch of brave Senators* who voted for repeal when it didn't have a snowballs chance who are now appalled at the idea of losing such important legislation.

*See Rob Portman.