Author Topic: Archaeologists go high-tech in 2,500-year-old Greek cold case  (Read 492 times)

rangerrebew

Archaeologists go high-tech in 2,500-year-old Greek cold case
July 15, 2017 by Catherine Boitard

More than 2,500 years ago, an Athenian nobleman named Cylon—the first recorded Olympic champion—tried to take over the city of Athens and install himself as its sole ruler.

According to Thucydides and Herodotus, Athenian and Greek historians who wrote about the coup, Cylon enticed an army of followers to enter the city and lay siege to the Acropolis.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-07-archaeologists-high-tech-year-old-greek-cold.html#jCp

Offline Suppressed

Re: Archaeologists go high-tech in 2,500-year-old Greek cold case
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:08:44 pm »
A bust was found...

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: Archaeologists go high-tech in 2,500-year-old Greek cold case
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:10:30 pm »
All of the men had their hands in iron chains and at least 52 of them had their hands tied above their heads.

Seems like such a waste to discard all those iron chains.  Amazing to me that they'd not remove them before burial.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn