Author Topic: One trillion tonne super iceberg breaks off from Antarctica  (Read 667 times)

Wingnut

I'm sure by now you have all read that a piece of Antarctica's Larsen C Ice Shelf broke free and created a large iceberg.  And right on cue the alarmist headlines are as large as the Iceberg and moving 5 times as fast!!

A sample:

Antarctic ice shelf sheds Delaware-sized iceberg
Science News for Students 14h ago

Iceberg four times the size of Delhi, breaks away
Daily News & Analysis 7h ago

Trillion-Ton Larsen C Iceberg Breaks Off Antarctic Ice Shelf
CleanTechnica 11h ago

McGill professor blames climate change for detachment of giant iceberg
Montreal Gazette 9h ago

Massive 2240-square-mile iceberg breaks away from Antarctica

Delaware-Sized Iceberg Breaks Off from Antarctica, May Affect World Maps
History 13h ago

And my favorite because every one loves Penguins and Polar Bears....

Larsen C Iceberg Break May Mean Trouble for Antarctica's Penguins
Inverse 11h ago

Fact is.... Climate change isn’t behind this one—and it won’t cause sea level rise, either.  But hey, never let the truth ruin your agenda.  right?
--------
This story originally appeared on the Conversation and has been republished.

One of the largest icebergs ever recorded has just broken away from the Larsen Ice Shelf in Antarctica. Over the past few years I’ve led a team that has been studying this ice shelf and monitoring change. We spent many weeks camped on the ice investigating melt ponds and their impact—and struggling to avoid sunburn thanks to the thin ozone layer. Our main approach, however, is to use satellites to keep an eye on things.

We’ve been surprised by the level of interest in what may simply be a rare but natural occurrence. Because, despite the media and public fascination, the Larsen C rift and iceberg “calving” is not a warning of imminent sea level rise, and any link to climate change is far from straightforward. This event is, however, a spectacular episode in the recent history of Antarctica’s ice shelves involving forces beyond the human scale, in a place where few of us have been, and one which will fundamentally change the geography of this region.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/07/climate_change_isn_t_to_blame_for_the_iceberg_that_broke_off_antarctica.html

And now back to your headlines for today!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:11:35 pm by Mod2 »

rangerrebew

Re: One trillion tonne super iceberg breaks off from Antarctica
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:47 am »
One trillion tonne super iceberg breaks off from Antarctica
Before the ice broke off, the crack in Larsen C could be seen from space.

By Martha Henriques , Léa Surugue
    Updated July 12, 2017 17:29 BST

It's not yet known whether the 200 metre thick ice is in one piece – which could make it one of the largest ever icebergs – or if it has splintered into many fragments. Data from before the calving event suggests that it may not have been a "clean break", scientists from Project MIDAS announced on twitter.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/one-largest-recorded-chunks-ice-breaks-off-antarctica-1629995
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:11:50 pm by Mod2 »

Offline Mod2

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 01:12:11 pm »
Merged two stories on the same topic.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 02:38:09 pm »
Has Al Gore said anything yet? 

Offline rodamala

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 02:46:32 pm »
Has Al Gore said anything yet?

He and Bill Nye are comparing their individual statements to be assured they are properly presenting their church's dogma.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 02:48:38 pm »
Merged two stories on the same topic.

@Mod2
Here goes another one from World News.
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,271481.0.html
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 02:51:23 pm »
There's a lot of scientific potential with this event.  It will be interesting to observe the behavior of the rest of the ice sheet now that this bit has broken off.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn