Author Topic: On 'Whataboutism' And Its Moral Hazards (Shapiro)  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
On 'Whataboutism' And Its Moral Hazards (Shapiro)
« on: July 12, 2017, 02:46:48 pm »
On Wednesday morning, President Trump tweeted out his most important defense to accusations about Donald Trump Jr. attempting to collude with the Russian government: hey, but Hillary.

This has become the all-purpose alibi for all Republican malfeasance. Some call it “whataboutism.” What about Hillary Clinton? What about the media? What about Bill Cinton or Teddy Kennedy?

1. Reminders Of Leftist Dishonesty.
2. Reminders Of Proportionality.
3. Moral Relativism.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/18511/whataboutism-and-its-moral-hazards-ben-shapiro

Offline Cripplecreek

Re: On 'Whataboutism' And Its Moral Hazards (Shapiro)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:51:42 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

Kind of foolish of Trump to complain about what Clinton got away with when he himself has made it clear that he never had any intent of pursuing her crimes. After all, he's the one who said the Clintons have suffered enough.

Its almost as if he intended to let her get away with things so he could do the same.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 02:52:54 pm »
As long as politicians (of both parties) can get away with lower standards, and in some cases, criminal behavior, I am afraid this moral equivalency of "Whataboutism" will continue.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 02:56:04 pm »
Ah Ben, you silly little Nevertrumper. The reason for the whataboutism is because weasels like you merely write about the criminality of Hitlary, Comey, Lynch and Obama like it is some house fire down the block, but now are pulling out all the stops for Trump to get an FBI anal exam for lesser activities.

Hitlary took cash from the Soviets and gave them sick deals: Nothing happens. Donny Jr takes a meeting with some foreign national that ends in nothing: #NT wants a full investigation spearheaded by the GOP. Total bullshit.

Hey Ben. Why don't we investigate and send the first batch of Rat crimes in front of a judge and jury first and then you will have the moral superiority to call for Trump and Co to be sent to the same fate.  Otherwise you are still just the same worthless piece of shit losing whiner you were last week.

Offline Resp3

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:58:37 pm »
Why ask Why?

We all know Dems have no standards, and that Republicans and conservatives are called to follow a higher standard. It does no good to pout; "Well, they did it too!"

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 03:01:35 pm »
As long as politicians (of both parties) can get away with lower standards, and in some cases, criminal behavior, I am afraid this moral equivalency of "Whataboutism" will continue.

In 70 odd years we've gone from America's greatest generation to America's great degeneration.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 03:18:08 pm »
Why ask Why?

We all know Dems have no standards, and that Republicans and conservatives are called to follow a higher standard. It does no good to pout; "Well, they did it too!"

Both Shapiro, whose articles I enjoy reading, and the poster of this thread are a little confused.

Calling out hypocrisy doesn't necessarily mean you're providing cover for certain behaviors
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 07:48:18 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

Kind of foolish of Trump to complain about what Clinton got away with when he himself has made it clear that he never had any intent of pursuing her crimes. After all, he's the one who said the Clintons have suffered enough.

Its almost as if he intended to let her get away with things so he could do the same.

@Cripplecreek

I saw someone---can't remember who---ask on Twitter, "But why hasn't Hillary been prosecuted?"

The response:  "Why don't you ask the GOP attorney general?"

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 07:51:05 pm »
Both Shapiro, whose articles I enjoy reading, and the poster of this thread are a little confused.

Calling out hypocrisy doesn't necessarily mean you're providing cover for certain behaviors

@LMAO

But that's exactly what's happening on the right.  I hear more people blaming the Democrats for Trump Jr.'s actions than the man himself.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 07:56:36 pm »
@Cripplecreek

I saw someone---can't remember who---ask on Twitter, "But why hasn't Hillary been prosecuted?"

The response:  "Why don't you ask the GOP attorney general?"

Yeah I saw that.I think it was Ben Howe.

Now we have Trey Gowdy expressing "concerns"

Gowdy fumes at Trump administration over latest Russia controversy

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/11/trey-gowdy-trump-russia-240432

However Trump has nothing to fear from Gowdy who has also decided to kiss the ring of Orange Glorious.

“Congress is not the place to litigate legal issues,” he said Tuesday.

After all his time spent investigating these issues, he suddenly decides its not his job.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 09:59:18 pm »
However Trump has nothing to fear from Gowdy who has also decided to kiss the ring of Orange Glorious.

“Congress is not the place to litigate legal issues,” he said Tuesday.

After all his time spent investigating these issues, he suddenly decides its not his job.

What? Why, there oughta be a law...

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 10:03:27 pm »
Why ask Why?

Then it's high time they were held accountable for their crimes. Don't let them get away with it any more. Hold the dhimmicraps to the same standards republicans are held to. Open an investigation into lib icon Teddy Kennedy's dalliance with the KGB in the 1984 campaign. Make them hurt, and hurt bad. I want to hear the whole party squeal in pain.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 10:05:56 pm »
Then it's high time they were held accountable for their crimes. Don't let them get away with it any more. Hold the dhimmicraps to the same standards republicans are held to. Open an investigation into lib icon Teddy Kennedy's dalliance with the KGB in the 1984 campaign. Make them hurt, and hurt bad. I want to hear the whole party squeal in pain.

That would require an actually Conservative Republican party. One concerned with the Constitution, law and order, and moral consequence.

Fat chance any time soon.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 10:20:28 pm »
Ah Ben, you silly little Nevertrumper. The reason for the whataboutism is because weasels like you merely write about the criminality of Hitlary, Comey, Lynch and Obama like it is some house fire down the block, but now are pulling out all the stops for Trump to get an FBI anal exam for lesser activities.

Hitlary took cash from the Soviets and gave them sick deals: Nothing happens. Donny Jr takes a meeting with some foreign national that ends in nothing: #NT wants a full investigation spearheaded by the GOP. Total bullshit.

Hey Ben. Why don't we investigate and send the first batch of Rat crimes in front of a judge and jury first and then you will have the moral superiority to call for Trump and Co to be sent to the same fate.  Otherwise you are still just the same worthless piece of shit losing whiner you were last week.

I'm tired of this game.

Like being called a racist in response to every disagreement on race, being called a hypocrite for wanting something done about the grotesque double standard the statists want to inflict on anyone who threatens their deathgrip on power is losing its effect. I just don't care what Shapiro et al think about it anymore.

I'm for whatever gets us closest to a more constitutionally grounded government. Period.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:23:36 pm by skeeter »

Silver Pines

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 11:39:14 am »
I'm tired of this game.

Like being called a racist in response to every disagreement on race, being called a hypocrite for wanting something done about the grotesque double standard the statists want to inflict on anyone who threatens their deathgrip on power is losing its effect. I just don't care what Shapiro et al think about it anymore.

I'm for whatever gets us closest to a more constitutionally grounded government. Period.

@skeeter

The thing is, Shapiro is strictly fair when it comes to Trump.  He praises him when he deserves it, and he often defends him. 

No matter how you look at it, what Jr. did is indefensible.  If you want a Constitutional government, what we have now is taking us in the wrong direction.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 02:40:51 pm »
@skeeter

The thing is, Shapiro is strictly fair when it comes to Trump.  He praises him when he deserves it, and he often defends him. 

No matter how you look at it, what Jr. did is indefensible.  If you want a Constitutional government, what we have now is taking us in the wrong direction.

Nobody here denies that Juniors meeting was ill advised; dumb, even.

Where we differ is in the meeting's significance. In my opinion it wasn't.

Silver Pines

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 03:26:44 pm »
Nobody here denies that Juniors meeting was ill advised; dumb, even.

Where we differ is in the meeting's significance. In my opinion it wasn't.

@skeeter

Imo, putting oneself in a position to be blackmailed by a government which isn't our friend is significant.

Offline LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy