Author Topic: Larsen C calves trillion ton iceberg  (Read 884 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Larsen C calves trillion ton iceberg
« on: July 12, 2017, 02:01:11 pm »
Project Midas by Martin O'Leary, Adrian Luckman and Project MIDA 7/12/2017

A one trillion tonne iceberg – one of the biggest ever recorded - has calved away from the Larsen C Ice Shelf in Antarctica. The calving occurred sometime between Monday 10th July and Wednesday 12th July 2017, when a 5,800 square km section of Larsen C finally broke away. The iceberg, which is likely to be named A68, weighs more than a trillion tonnes.  Its volume is twice that of Lake Erie, one of the Great Lakes.

The final breakthrough was detected in data from NASA’s Aqua MODIS satellite instrument, which images in the thermal infrared at a resolution of 1km, and confirmed by NASA’s Suomi VIIRS instrument.

The development of the rift over the last year was monitored using data from the European Space Agency Sentinel-1 satellites – part of the European Copernicus Space Component. Sentinel-1 is a radar imaging system capable of acquiring images regardless of cloud cover, and throughout the current winter period of polar darkness.

The iceberg weighs more than a trillion tonnes (1,000,000,000,000 metric tonnes), but it was already floating before it calved away so has no immediate impact on sea level.

More: http://www.projectmidas.org/blog/calving/

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Larsen C calves trillion ton iceberg
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:02:27 pm »
Project Midas by Martin O'Leary, Adrian Luckman and Project MIDA 7/12/2017

A one trillion tonne iceberg – one of the biggest ever recorded - has calved away from the Larsen C Ice Shelf in Antarctica. The calving occurred sometime between Monday 10th July and Wednesday 12th July 2017, when a 5,800 square km section of Larsen C finally broke away. The iceberg, which is likely to be named A68, weighs more than a trillion tonnes.  Its volume is twice that of Lake Erie, one of the Great Lakes.

The final breakthrough was detected in data from NASA’s Aqua MODIS satellite instrument, which images in the thermal infrared at a resolution of 1km, and confirmed by NASA’s Suomi VIIRS instrument.

The development of the rift over the last year was monitored using data from the European Space Agency Sentinel-1 satellites – part of the European Copernicus Space Component. Sentinel-1 is a radar imaging system capable of acquiring images regardless of cloud cover, and throughout the current winter period of polar darkness.

The iceberg weighs more than a trillion tonnes (1,000,000,000,000 metric tonnes), but it was already floating before it calved away so has no immediate impact on sea level.

More: http://www.projectmidas.org/blog/calving/

888ohnoes

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 02:17:20 pm »

Neither now nor when it melts, if they only understood basic science...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 02:29:39 pm »
I'm renting a tugboat to go and get it. My plan is to drag it to the East Coast, process it, and sell it as bottled water.

If you guys see bottles of Iceburg Water flying off the shelf soon, that'll be me.

"Water as pure as it was a million years ago!"
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:33:02 pm »
I'm renting a tugboat to go and get it. My plan is to drag it to the East Coast, process it, and sell it as bottled water.

If you guys see bottles of Iceburg Water flying off the shelf soon, that'll be me.

A Tugboat?

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:46:13 pm »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 03:15:35 pm »

With a million years of dust/dirt/penguin feces also compressed in it. 

I've tasted melted iceberg water.  The mineral content is so high, it is essentially undrinkable.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 03:24:04 pm »

I've tasted melted iceberg water.  The mineral content is so high, it is essentially undrinkable.

Call it Natural Mineral Water and sell it to liberals.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 03:25:35 pm »

Yeah, I know. I don't give a damn about the iceburg. I just want the publicity. I'll just sell tap-water like everyone else.
Who cares about drinking an iceburg?

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 03:28:28 pm »

Works best if you label it collectible, maybe then they won't open the bottle to taste it.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 03:34:16 pm »

Exactly.

What's far better is the ice from Greenland deep ice cores.  The compressed gas bubbles pop as the ice melts, and the air wasn't as dirty back then.  Put a little in your drink for some fizz.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 05:46:07 pm »

With the penguin poop labeled as "natural organic matter".........

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 05:59:13 pm »

It's GMO and gluten free.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 06:10:09 pm »

Penguins too...