Author Topic: House GOP allocates $1.6 billion for Trump border wall in 2018  (Read 1276 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

The Washington Times
By Stephen Dinan
Tuesday, July 11, 2017

House Republicans said Tuesday they’ve included $1.6 billion in funding for President Trump’s border wall in their new homeland security spending bill, setting up fight with Democrats who have vowed to block any wall funding — even if it means sending the government into a partial shutdown.

GOP leaders said the $1.6 billion fully meets Mr. Trump’s request to begin wall construction, which includes 32 miles of new border fencing in Texas, 28 miles of levee wall along the Rio Grande Valley, also in Texas, and 14 miles of replacement fence in San Diego.

The bill also adds 500 new Border Patrol agents, 1,000 more agents and officers for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement operations in the interior, and provides enough money to maintain 44,000 detention beds. That’s a massive increase over the Obama years, and Trump officials said it will allow them to detain and deport illegal immigrants faster and with a higher success rate.
The GOP bill also calls for adding more than two dozen new jurisdictions to the 287(g) program which allows local police and sheriff’s deputies to be trained to enforce immigration laws.

“Keeping Americans safe by protecting our homeland is a top priority,” said Rep. John Carter, Texas Republican and chairman of the House homeland security appropriations subcommittee. “This funding bill provides the resources to begin building a wall along our southern border, enhance our existing border security infrastructure, hire more border patrol agents, and fund detention operations.”
Mr. Trump has not said how much of the 1,954-mile border he would like to see covered by fencing, but his 2018 budget called for a first down payment in the 60 miles of new barriers.

Democrats have vowed to resist the spending.

“Democrats will again draw a hard line against wasting taxpayer money to fulfill the president’s campaign applause line,” said Matthew Dennis, a spokesman for Appropriations Committee Democrats. “The purpose of the Homeland Security bill is to make communities more safe and secure, and this pointless wall does nothing to accomplish that.”
They succeeded this year, forcing Mr. Trump to back down on his call for $1 billion to be invested in barriers in 2017.
LOAD COMMENTS (59)

Click to Read More

(more)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/11/house-gop-allocates-16b-trump-border-wall-2018/
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: House GOP allocates $1.6 billion for Trump border wall in 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:10:05 pm »
Three percent of a new wall.

:woohoo:

(Just wait until they roll in the monthlies...)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 10:25:38 pm »
I thought that Mexico was going to pay for the wall.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 10:40:45 pm »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:08:11 pm »

That was what he said. 

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 12:20:51 am »
I'm giving them a thumbs up on this. Just the news of this reaching south of the border is going to slow some wanna bees down.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 01:41:58 am »
I'm giving them a thumbs up on this. Just the news of this reaching south of the border is going to slow some wanna bees down.
Seriously, although the wall fund is paltry (3% of the length of the border?) it is something, but even more of note is the funding for detention facilities to make it easier to get the detainees sent back. More efficiency there is a good thing.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 01:59:51 am »
(Just wait until they roll in the monthlies...)

:silly:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 02:36:42 am »
Seriously, although the wall fund is paltry (3% of the length of the border?) it is something, but even more of note is the funding for detention facilities to make it easier to get the detainees sent back. More efficiency there is a good thing.

Throw some mandatory minimum sentences at the coyotes.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 02:38:50 am »
Throw some mandatory minimum sentences at the coyotes.
Be nice if there was a way to collect their assets--and put it toward more wall...

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 03:09:17 am »
Be nice if there was a way to collect their assets--and put it toward more wall...

It is called the IRS.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 03:12:45 am »
It is called the IRS.
They only go after people who don't have health insurance.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 03:20:39 am »
They only go after people who don't have health insurance.

Yeah, there is that.  I was really only trying to point out there is an apparatus in place. I know it is a long shot. Turn that misguided(ness) into a guided missile.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 03:26:56 am »
Yeah, there is that.  I was really only trying to point out there is an apparatus in place. I know it is a long shot. Turn that misguided(ness) into a guided missile.
If the government was focused on what it should be doing to the exclusion of all else, we wouldn't be in the pickle we're in.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 03:46:25 am »
1.6 billion for that?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 04:03:24 am »
1.6 billion for that?

signs zee paper old man

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 04:05:52 am »
1.6 billion for that?

Just kidding, @Cripplecreek.

Make it law and change the b to a t.