Author Topic: Students ‘Shun’ University of Missouri Two Years After Protests, Enrollment Down 35%  (Read 987 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The University of Missouri is still facing enrollment issues in the aftermath of campus protests that took place two years ago, according to a report from the New York Times.
Freshman enrollment at the University is down 35 percent since the protests that centered on student complaints about supposed inaction from campus police with regards to acts of racial bigotry.

According to the report, the University acknowledges that the 2015 protests are the “main reason” for the drop in enrollment. Administrators believe that most families now consider the institution to either be a breeding ground for unchecked bigotry or a playground for student protesters to run amok.

“The general consensus was that it was because of the aftermath of what happened in November 2015,” said Mun Choi, the new University of Missouri system president. “There were students from both in state and out of state that just did not apply, or those who did apply but decided not to attend.”

The New York Times report claims that the protests that took place at the University of Missouri likely served as an inspiration for protest efforts at other institutions, such as Middlebury College, UC Berkeley, and Evergreen State College.

Tyler Morris, a white student interviewed in the Times report who hails from St. Louis, claims that he passed on the opportunity to attend the University of Missouri due to concerns that he might be labeled a bigot by the community.
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/07/10/report-students-shun-university-of-missouri-two-years-after-protests-enrollment-down-35/
The damage done to this university is far worse than this.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Too bad..that is/was a good school...beautiful campus in a beautiful part of Mo...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Wingnut

Too bad..that is/was a good school...beautiful campus in a beautiful part of Mo...

Given enough time Liberals ruin everything they touch.

You can say that about all the California schools as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline MajorClay

Wow!  Down 35% has got to hurt.

And since budget funds are tite, naturally the University of Missouri does this

Kansas City-Area Universities Add Gender-Inclusive Housing
The University of Missouri-Kansas City and the University of Kansas are joining a national trend toward setting aside areas in residences halls to accommodate students who don't identify with a specific gender.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/missouri/articles/2017-07-08/kansas-city-area-universities-add-gender-inclusive-housing

The Columbia campus already has this since 2015.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Hopefully future enrollment will drop 50%, then 60%, then...?

The "college" has certainly earned this fate.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
The problem (from a liberal perspective) is parents of college students have the Freedom To Choose.

Obviously new laws are needed.  Since the University of Missouri receives state funds mandates must be enacted to ensure it stays afloat.  Otherwise precious tax dollars are at risk and you know how we watch over every penny in the public's best interest.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
According to the report, the University acknowledges that the 2015 protests are the “main reason” for the drop in enrollment.
Administrators believe that most families now consider the institution to either be
a breeding ground for unchecked bigotry or a playground for student protesters to run amok.

I'd like to know the enrollment drop figures
broken out between liberal arts and hard sciences.
If most of the drop is in liberal arts enrollment,
then U. of Mo. is being made great again!

Also, administrators beliefs may or may not be based in reality.
Universities tend to hire administrators
who are steeped in left wing dogma.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

I'd like to know the enrollment drop figures
broken out between liberal arts and hard sciences.
If most of the drop is in liberal arts enrollment,
then U. of Mo. is being made great again!

Also, administrators beliefs may or may not be based in reality.
Universities tend to hire administrators
who are steeped in left wing dogma.
the new Mizzou President is a mechanical engineer.  About as conservative a profession as one could get.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Guessing it will drop more when those who were there before all this graduate. Heartens me to think a decent percentage of that generation will call BS to the liberal nuttery and vote with their feet.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hondo69

The whole fiasco is such a sad story.  Chalk up another casualty to the Architects of Ruin.

If the University ever recovers it may take a whole generation of time.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm not the least bit sad, in fact I'm rather glad.  Mizzou brought this upon themselves when they coddled the racist rioters, caved to their ridiculous demands and didn't fire that Click woman instantly after calling for "muscle" to throw a reporter out from his post.  They can call the families racist all they want, but ultimately they are the deciders of where their offspring go to school, and they have, as it's been said here, voted with their feet.

Let Mizzou be a warning to the others who kneel at the feet of Political Correctness.  Let there be more examples made, all across the land.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
The damage done to this university is far worse than this.

Karma's a B, so to speak.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
  Let there be more examples made, all across the land.

That is correct. Vote with our money when possible. Picking a school for our families, is big dollars, and a loud message.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

That is correct. Vote with our money when possible. Picking a school for our families, is big dollars, and a loud message.
@ about $21,000 per year, there is an immediate deficit of $55 million for the drop in students.

Kills them.

Offline Hondo69

Mizzou is a perfect example of In Theory vs In Practice, the old Liberal double speak.

In Theory they tell you that minorities just wanted to be treated equally, that's all, and who can argue with that viewpoint?  But In Practice it's a whole other ballgame.  Look no further than their list of demands presented to the university for your proof.

It's spelled out right there in black and white that they don't want to be treated equally at all, they want to be treated special.  The old Liberal double speak, it's everywhere you look.