Author Topic: Franklin man charged after hit-and-run involving bicyclist on Natchez Trace Parkway  (Read 2890 times)

Wingnut

Caught the SOB!.   A School administrator Dean of Students at University School of Nashville. 

GoPro video of the hit and run at link.  Rider is very fortunate not to have been injured worse.   

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (WKRN) – According to the National Park Service, 58-year-old Marshall Grant Neely III was booked into the Williamson County Detention Center on Saturday night, where he is charged with reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to immediately notify of an accident, and failure to render aid. He could face federal charges, too

Neely is the Dean of Students at University School of Nashville, according to the Williamson County Sheriff’s Department.

http://wkrn.com/2017/07/08/cyclist-hit-by-car-in-williamson-county/

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Very familiar with that road and bridge.

While this driver will hopefully get the fullest extent of the law handed to him, there is some culpability of the bicyclist here.  While bicyclists can use the full lane when needed, when riding with others, being single file on the right hand side of the road is a standard rule of the road for cyclists.  The only time this is suspended is when the road has sections or trails for bicycle lanes.

On the video they are coming up on a curve to the left after the bridge - the road is a double yellow lined 'no passing zone'. The risk of a head-on collision from a vehicle coming the other direction on that stretch is a very real threat and risk if one is having to go all the way over on into the other lane to go around cyclists. 

A wise and safety-minded cyclist would recognize the need to be in a single file on the right in a section of road that is double yellow lined.

The cyclist here was creating a dangerous situation for himself, but that does not excuse the driver who left the scene and committed a hit and run.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Wingnut

Yeah tell me about it. Riding 2 abreast on the trace with little traffic and a 45 MPH Speed limit.  The horor.  Damn Him. He couldn't have been more "culpable" if he had been wearing his "Hit Me" jersey.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Yeah tell me about it. Riding 2 abreast on the trace with little traffic and a 45 MPH Speed limit.  The horor.  Damn Him. He couldn't have been more "culpable" if he had been wearing his "Hit Me" jersey.

Two abreast on a two-lane road on a double yellow approaching a curve with trees blocking horizon view is not exactly smart.

I wouldn't be riding full lane two-abreast at that section of roadway.

But then, not everyone assumes everybody else on the road is an idiot and I need to limit my risk factor.  I'm odd that way.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Wingnut

Here is the guy to blame. 

100%

Looks like a low life alcoholic Mother who had a load on. He was so inconvenienced by the bikers on his drive from a bar back to Franklin he decided to run one of them over.   

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:35:05 pm by Wingnut »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Here is the guy to blame. 

100%

Looks like a low life alcoholic MotherF'er who had a load on. He was so inconvenienced by the bikers on his drive from a bar back to Franklin he decided to run one of them over.   

He looks like the love child of Archie Bunker and Rush Limbaugh.

Yes, the blame is on this dipwad for hitting a cyclist.  I hope they throw the book at him.

However, just as passing a car in front of you on a two-lane highway on a double yellow before a curve is not exactly safety first - riding two abreast on a roadway with a double yellow center line before a curve is not exactly safety first either.

The National Park Service has safety guidelines for bicyclists on the Natchez Trace Parkway online. They are supposed to share the road with drivers, and follow the same rules of the road, riding single file on the right.

Wingnut

Riding the Trace from Jackson to Tupelo is on my Bucket List.  Please don't follow me INVAR if you see me...I don't want it to be my last ride.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Riding the Trace from Jackson to Tupelo is on my Bucket List.  Please don't follow me INVAR if you see me...I don't want it to be my last ride.

Only if you're one of those cyclists who likes to ride close to the center line on a two-lane road because a sign says it is a Bike Route.

That will probably get you killed in Jackson long before you get to Tupelo.   Use extra care if jaunting down Montgomery Bell State Park via the Trace, the road is a pretzel and hairpins on steep grades abound.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Anywhere, cyclists should look out for themselves, since some would blame then for getting themselves hit, and defend those who hit them.

Somehow the perp manages to avoid hitting most big, solid objects (trees, other motor vehicles, buildings) in the path.

Soft things like bicyclists are just too tempting of a targets, for these big brave souls.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Anywhere, cyclists should look out for themselves, since some would blame then for getting themselves hit, and defend those who hit them.

Anyone who cycles that doesn't watch out for themselves while sharing a two lane road with traffic is an idiot.  That's not 'defending' the moron who hits them and speeds off, that's simply citing COMMON SENSE... or did we chuck that aside when we decided we didn't need principles either?

Somehow the perp manages to avoid hitting most big, solid objects (trees, other motor vehicles, buildings) in the path.

Soft things like bicyclists are just too tempting of a targets, for these big brave souls.

Pretty sure there is a point system they use.

Cyclists are worth more than hikers, who are worth more points than a motorized wheelchair.   I just don't know the point spread. /sarc

Wingnut

Only if you're one of those cyclists who likes to ride close to the center line on a two-lane road because a sign says it is a Bike Route.

That will probably get you killed in Jackson long before you get to Tupelo.   Use extra care if jaunting down Montgomery Bell State Park via the Trace, the road is a pretzel and hairpins on steep grades abound.

I have driven the Trace many times via car.  I am always respectful of anyone traveling that route via 2 or 4 wheels.  Thank you for your concern.  I'll be sure to PM you of my travel plans for the Trace so you can be on the look out for me. In fact I plan on having a sign made up for my SAG vehicle telling all passing vehicles what I think of you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I'll be sure to PM you of my travel plans for the Trace so you can be on the look out for me.

Thanks for the invite but I have more important stuff to do than reenact Duel with a cyclist on an internet forum - which doesn't really work when one doesn't have a rig to terrorize you with to begin with.

In fact I plan on having a sign made up for my SAG vehicle telling all passing vehicles what I think of you.

Yes.  Lit-up neon signs are getting cheaper all the time too.  Or, you can just take your SAG to a signshop and have them do a nice custom vehicle wrap for you in full blazing color.

Don't be shy on the insult either, make it creative and original.  Funny is good too. 

Wingnut

Driver who ran down cyclist  update:

The University School of Nashville administrator charged with hitting a cyclist on the Natchez Trace Parkway in Williamson County this weekend claims the bicycle was thrown at him.

According to the arrest affidavit, Marshall Grant Neely III, 58, told the National Park Service rangers that a man and woman were standing in the road on July 8 at 11 a.m. He reported that the two threw the bicycle into his black Volvo.

Neely — now charged with three misdemeanors and one felony -—  left the scene and didn't inform law enforcement of the incident, according to authorities. Charges include felony reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to immediately notify of an accident and failure to render aid.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2017/07/10/man-charged-natchez-trace-parkway-hit-and-run-said-cyclist-threw-bike-his-car/464581001/

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The University School of Nashville administrator charged with hitting a cyclist on the Natchez Trace Parkway in Williamson County this weekend claims the bicycle was thrown at him.

The video proves decidedly otherwise.

Offline anubias

Caught the SOB!.   A School administrator Dean of Students at University School of Nashville. 

GoPro video of the hit and run at link.  Rider is very fortunate not to have been injured worse.   

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (WKRN) – According to the National Park Service, 58-year-old Marshall Grant Neely III was booked into the Williamson County Detention Center on Saturday night, where he is charged with reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to immediately notify of an accident, and failure to render aid. He could face federal charges, too

Neely is the Dean of Students at University School of Nashville, according to the Williamson County Sheriff’s Department.

http://wkrn.com/2017/07/08/cyclist-hit-by-car-in-williamson-county/

I just found the Bicycling Forum btw.  Yeesh!

This accident hit home as one could throw a rock and hit my old backyard from the accident site.  I have ridden that stretch of road many times. 

So glad the buddy had a Go-Pro.  It has made me realize that I should have one on my bike as well.

Wingnut

I just found the Bicycling Forum btw.  Yeesh!

This accident hit home as one could throw a rock and hit my old backyard from the accident site.  I have ridden that stretch of road many times. 

So glad the buddy had a Go-Pro.  It has made me realize that I should have one on my bike as well.

@anubias 
The better Wing says I have to get one to document the crime scene....

Offline anubias

@anubias 
The better Wing says I have to get one to document the crime scene....

Better pick up two.  It's what I do to keep the hubby from bit...er... voicing his concern.

Wingnut

Only update I could find on the jerk was 8/1

Accused Natchez Trace hit-and-run driver speaks to the Tennessean about the incident.

After indictment by a federal grand jury, Franklin's Marshall Grant Neely, III, was released Tuesday from custody for his alleged involvement in hitting a Nolensville cyclist on the Natchez Trace Parkway.

On Friday, the Middle District of Tennessee announced the jury charged Neely with reckless aggravated assault; lying to a federal agent; and obstruction of justice.

According to court documents, Neely has particular conditions of release, including staying within Middle Tennessee. He's also not allowed to discuss the issues of the case with any family members. In the announcement of his charges, acting U.S. Attorney Jack Smith revealed Neely's son helped lead authorities to his initial arrest. 

The federal indictment is a result of an incident on July 8, on the parkway, where cyclist Tyler Noe was struck by a black Volvo and injured. The driver of the vehicle, later identified as Neely, failed to stop and left the scene of the incident. According to his arrest warrant, Neely told the National Park Service the cyclist threw the bike into his car.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2017/08/01/driver-natchez-trace-cyclist-hit-and-run-released-federal-custody/529650001/