Author Topic: We Ran a Simulated ICBM Attack on the United States to Find Out: Could We Stop One?  (Read 912 times)

Offline endicom

The Aviationist
Tom Demerly
July 6, 2017

We Went Inside Northrop Grumman Demonstration of Critical Anti-Ballistic Missile Technology.

Sometime in the future, diplomacy may fail.

An overnight incident in the Pacific between a U.S. Navy vessel and an adversary nation submarine causes a collision. A U.S. Air Force surveillance plane is fired upon as it flies near an international airspace boundary. A rogue nation continues ballistic missile testing.

What happens when it becomes a real world crisis with an ICBM (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile)?

More... https://theaviationist.com/2017/07/06/we-ran-a-simulated-icbm-attack-on-the-united-states-to-find-out-could-we-stop-one/

Offline montanajoe

This scenario certainly should not be ignored and the high tech response is cool but our port cities are more vulnerable to a device slipped in on a plain old boat :shrug:

Very little is being done to respond to this low tech threat..

Offline endicom

This scenario certainly should not be ignored and the high tech response is cool but our port cities are more vulnerable to a device slipped in on a plain old boat :shrug:

Very little is being done to respond to this low tech threat..

True. We can't ignore any threat. What to do about these threats is the sticky part.

Offline Mom MD

True. We can't ignore any threat. What to do about these threats is the sticky part.

The answers are difficult but one of them is to stop the nutjob in NK from getting a nuc capable ICBM and selling it to Iran.  Too many people think NK is funny and an object of ridicule. (When I expressed concern on TOS I was told to lighten up and relax)  They won't be laughing when NK or Iran nukes our western shore or Tel Aviv.
God is still in control

Wingnut

The nice thing about an ICBM is you can back track it.   Pretty simple solution.  Launch one at us...prepare to die cuz your whole world is gonna come crumbling down.  The best thing for world peace is to not stop an Incoming ICBM.   Let it land and take out a few hundred thousand Californians or whatever city dwellers that need to be sacrificed for the peace effort..  Doesn't really matter where the bomb drops. The point is we then bomb the bejesus out of the country that launched it.   

MADD lives!   

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:32:47 am by Wingnut »

Offline montanajoe

The answers are difficult but one of them is to stop the nutjob in NK from getting a nuc capable ICBM and selling it to Iran.  Too many people think NK is funny and an object of ridicule. (When I expressed concern on TOS I was told to lighten up and relax)  They won't be laughing when NK or Iran nukes our western shore or Tel Aviv.

If you have ever been in Seoul the problem with any military action directed at the nutjob to the North quickly becomes apparent. Even a crude nuclear device detonated in that terrain by the North in response to a US military strike would cause an enormous loss of life including our 35,000 troops stationed there as well as likely triggering a response by the Chinese or Russians.

At this point I don't think there is anyway to stop the North from acquiring a nuke capable ICBM. Seems to me the only effective strategy will be for the USA, Russia and the Chinese to make it clear to the North that any attack will result in regime change....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:51:18 am by montanajoe »

Offline Mom MD

If you have ever been in Seoul the problem with any military action directed at the nutjob to the North quickly becomes apparent. Even a crude nuclear device detonated in that terrain by the North in response to a US military strike would cause an enormous loss of life including our 35,000 troops stationed there as well as likely triggering a response by the Chinese or Russians.

At this point I don't there is anyway to stop the North from acquiring a nuke capable ICBM. Seems to me the only effective strategy will be for the USA, Russia and the Chinese to make it clear to the North that any attack will result in regime change....

You may be right.  I think if China truly wanted to leash their lapdog they could do it, but China likes the discomfort he is causing the US and Nato and I think they are secretly supplying and helping the regime.  China is not to be trusted.  The scarier thought is anything NK develop will be sold to Iran rather quickly.
God is still in control

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Mom MD

Yep it's coming if something isn't done.  There are no good alternatives.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
The nice thing about an ICBM is you can back track it.   Pretty simple solution.  Launch one at us...prepare to die cuz your whole world is gonna come crumbling down.  The best thing for world peace is to not stop an Incoming ICBM.   Let it land and take out a few hundred thousand Californians or whatever city dwellers that need to be sacrificed for the peace effort..  Doesn't really matter where the bomb drops. The point is we then bomb the bejesus out of the country that launched it.   

MADD lives!

He doesn't care.  If anything it makes it better for him.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline endicom

You make a point. People enjoyed Chaplin trivializing Mussolini and Hitler but that gave the wrong idea. Portraying Kookoo Kim is fine as long as he's not seen as a trivial threat.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:24:26 pm by endicom »