Author Topic: Why in the World Does Turkey Want an Aircraft Carrier?  (Read 809 times)

rangerrebew

Why in the World Does Turkey Want an Aircraft Carrier?
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:31:39 am »

WIB sea July 6, 2017 Paul Iddon

Upon overseeing the launch of a domestically-built corvette in July 2017, Turkish Pres. Recep Tayyip Erdogan voiced his country’s goal of building “our own aircraft carriers” as part of Ankara’s efforts to “become independent in the field of defense by 2023.”

“We must move even faster,” Erdogan declared. “We are proud of our ability to build military ships, especially construction of submarines.”

https://warisboring.com/why-in-the-world-does-turkey-want-an-aircraft-carrier/
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:32:14 am by rangerrebew »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Why in the World Does Turkey Want an Aircraft Carrier?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:03:31 am »

OH HELL NO!!!!!!!!

We need a rogue Islamic state with a carrier and 100 fighter jets like we need a hole in the head.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:11:53 pm »
Building a small carrier is the easy part. Learning to operate one effectively is really hard. So far, only the US has really done that. The UK threw away years of experience and has to re-learn again when they get their operating. The Indians, Russians and Chinese are still on the steep part of the learning curve. All the other nations that had operated carriers in the past - Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Thailand - just played with them for prestige.

I say let them build one, they'll learn in time to be a credible threat, they'll have to spend an awful lot of money they don't have at this time to really learn how to use it properly.

BTW...it won't be a 120000 ton monster carrier carrying 100 planes, it will be probably a 20,000 to 30,000 ton small carrier carrying max 20-30 planes.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 05:22:01 pm »
Honestly, they're a gigantic waste of money unless you have a fleet capable of protecting them, and a real need to project power over great distances.  Love to see them sink a lot of wasted money into building some crappy flattop that will probably carry 25 planes max, and likely not be able to launch/retrieve effectively for a couple of decades.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:38:57 pm »
For Thanksgiving?

(sorry, I couldn't help myself).