Author Topic: Soldier Charged In Epic Humvee Free-Fall Captured In Viral Video  (Read 380 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Last year, the internet was treated to a video of three Humvees plunging to their doom from a fleet of C-130s during an Army parachute jump in Germany. Despite the footage’s popularity, the only things we knew about the incident at the time were that it involved the 173rd Airborne Brigade and heads were definitely going to roll.

Now, we know that one of those heads belongs to Sgt. John Skipper of the 173rd’s 1st Battalion, 91st Cavalry Regiment. Skipper has been charged with destruction of government property and making a false official statement regarding his conduct during the incident, brigade spokesman Maj. Juan Martinez told Stars and Stripes on July 5.

If convicted, Skipper could face a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a dishonorable discharge. However, as Stars and Stripes reports, a recommendation on whether the case will proceed to court-martial is still pending. “Should this case progress, we will continue to release information consistent with Army policy,” Martinez said. 

Does the punishment fit the crime? Well, for context: A Humvee can cost up to $220,000, has a curb weight of 5,200 lbs, and explodes like a watermelon when it hits the ground after falling hundreds of feet. We know this because on April 11, 2016, three Humvees were rolled out the backs of C-130 Hercules transports over a field in Hohenfels and slipped from their riggings as their parachutes deployed. Each vehicle was utterly destroyed.

[excerpted]

http://taskandpurpose.com/soldier-charged-in-epic-humvee-free-fall-captured-in-viral-video/

Video at link

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Soldier Charged In Epic Humvee Free-Fall Captured In Viral Video
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:22:12 am »
What did he do?  Fake the inspections?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Soldier Charged In Epic Humvee Free-Fall Captured In Viral Video
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 05:26:06 am »
What did he do?  Fake the inspections?
I think the biggest mistake was the viral video, which aside from being embarrassing, contained more exuberant acclamation instead of shock or "Oh sh*t" comments on the three failed drops in one exercise. 

From the article:

Skipper has been charged with destruction of government property and making a false official statement regarding his conduct during the incident, >snip<
As Stars and Stripes notes, the charges against Skipper suggest that human error, rather than an equipment malfunction, is to blame for the embarrassing — and costly — episode. 

On the other hand...Can you really buy Surplus Humvees* for $50?

(*the old ads were for surplus jeeps, in similar condition, I might add...)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis